The Fortean/paranormal/conspiracy thread

Astro Hollywood

I shall read that later, Astro, cheers. That book is wortth picking up, the incidents it recounts are undoubtedly fascinating in their own right, even if I think her conclusions are suspect.

• Paid Members

Fantastic blog Woy, really enjoyed it.

Will have to check out The Bigfoot files thing as well. Cryptozoology is probably my favourite aspect of the Fortean stuff because there's still so much we don't know. Is there any footage / photos of Bigfoot that is widely considered the best?

I don't know how you're getting on with your writing, but I really think you should write a non-fiction book on the paranormal. A compilation of little dissections of various famous incidents. I thought the juxtaposition of Enfield with Ghostwatch, as public spectacles, was spot on. You've been very good on Icke, too, and I think the Fortean is where your interests and talents collide most perfectly.

There's got to be a sceptic publisher somewhere that would enjoy that sort of thing. A sceptical look at Fortean stuff with a dollop of humour.

• Awards Moderator

This probably just about fits in here - Cracked put an article up today of Five Mysterious Structures with Unknown Origins. I'd never heard of any of them, but the first two - the pre-Aztec city of Teotihuacan and the works of 'the old men' stretching across the Middle East - are really cool and have me wanting to know more. Get on it, Astro!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

I don't normally read blogs as they are as a general rule almost always shit but i have to admit that was a cracking read.

I might see if i can pick up that UFO book cheap somewhere as well, it's been ages since i've read anything on UFO's or indeed any paranormal related shenannigans outside of dropping into this thread every now and then so i think it's time to dip my toes in the water again.

• Awards Moderator

Brill. Loved every ruddy word. Nobody's covered the subject online in such detail surely?

• Paid Members

I thought it was still quite scary when I watched it a few months ago. I was scared shitless when I watched it in 1992 though. I could have opened some repressed memories or something.

Some Youtube videos..

Also try to watch some of the "Points of View" episodes from after it. Some are up on Youtube. Country went hysterical for a few days there.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Moderators

Cheers for everyone digging that post. You guys :love:

I've considered the book thing before, but I'm so, so burnt out on the bullshit dance of finding agents or publishers with other stuff that I can't bear to think about anything book-shaped right now, and won't again for a long time. I'll probably keep blogging in this area though.

If anyone really wants to rewatch Ghostwatch, the whole thing is up on Dailymotion.

'the old men' stretching

Sounds right up my street. Phwoar!

I'm wary about this being another sneering exercise in burning down the straw man, as they'll know going in that the DNA isn't anything unexplained.

• Paid Members

Brill. Loved every ruddy word. Nobody's covered the subject online in such detail surely?

Loved it. Ghostwatch was very of it's time. It's a shame, I still enjoy it as a concept though.

• Moderators
Ghostwatch was very of it's time. It's a shame, I still enjoy it as a concept though.

The first time I ever stumbled on Most Haunted, I was 100% convinced it was a Ghostwatch style hoax. Yvette Fielding off of Blue Peter chasing ghosts around an old castle, live on Halloween night? Bouffant-headed, leathery Scouse medium? Technology like actual thermometers being used as legitimate ghost-finding equipment? Had to be a hoax. Everything about it seemed like it was headed in that direction, and I was transfixed for about an hour until I realised it was just a regular 'factual' ghost-hunting show. It seems a bit crazy that it was only ten years ago, and the whole thing seemed so fresh at the time. As wacky as they were, the first few series were legitimately watchable, well-made television. Because everything was so new then, it was all so jarring. Every MH viewer remembers the first time Derek got possessed and went mental, which was a real shocker (no MH fan from way back when could ever forget the name GODFREY PARKS), but once he started getting taken over three or four times a show, like clockwork, it was all completely diluted.

I don't think there's a better historical example of how the need to be constantly raising the bar can be the death of things. I'd love to acquire the box sets someday, sit down and figure out a timeline of how they went from Yvette Fielding sitting quietly in a dark room above a pub asking "Is there anybody there?" to her drawing a pentagram in a Prague basement and literally trying to evoke the Devil in a magical ritual, and yelling "Come on then, you fucking coward!". In the last ever Halloween Live show, Karl (her husband and co-presenter/showrunner) hung himself from a gibbet while pretending to be dead, in an effort to rouse the ghosts who'd been hung there as witches. I dread to think how much of my brain-space is taken up with batshit mental stuff I saw on Most Haunted and don't ever want to forget.

Derek being dragged down a mineshaft by the ghost of a little boy! "HE'S GOT ME HAND, YVVIE! HE'S GOT ME HAND!"

Edited by Astro Hollywood