Official Darts Thread

Dai

• 2 weeks later...
MVG was top notch also, 6-0 over Lewis.

I fancy MVG to win the final, but I like him and Wright, who has been very consistent this week.

I completely agree. It's hard to look past MvG but I'd absolutely love it if Wright wins. Seemed like a really nice in the post-match interview as well which always helps.

MvG was my pre-tourney pick but everyone likes an underdog, right? Especially one with rainbow hair

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members
If ever there was a player playing up to the gimmick, it's Wright. It's Pro Wrestling, he found an avenue and is lapping it up. Fair play.

One drunken evening during the BDO World Championships a few years back, I proposed an idea to my former housemate that the BDO could return itself to prominence by basically turning darts into pro wrestling.

After a pair of tournaments, you crown a World Champion and a pair of World Doubles Champions, and give them belts of course.

A bunch of players had already got little gimmicks, so really ramp them up. Martin Adams & Ted Hankey became a heel, movie monster themed tag team. Tony O'Shea and his mate whose name I forgot right now really became a ska-dancing version of the Blues Brothers. Basically, those two feuding over the World Doubles belts was about as far as my booking went.

But that's how it would work. Once you had your champs, it was challenge matches for the titles. Scripted promos would be shot, as would simple little angles. But at the heart of it, legitimate darts competition.

Stick an hour of that on ITV4 in the middle of the night once a week, I think you're onto something. Maybe.