Official Darts Thread

Dai

As I said, opportunity. You're right, there are no physical reasons, it comes down to opportunity. At the high levels, sponsorship tends to go to blokes. Trina Gulliver is on course to reach the final again but it will be only two sets and I think there were only 8 contestants. There isn't the money in the women's game. Another thing PDC wanted to overhaul but Croft was a prick.

Good arrows on your average! Once I was playing a 1001 doubles match, my partner was playing shit and I hit 4 140's on the spin. When the fourth went in, one of the other team said "Jacksy Bastard" under his breath. My partner went nuts at him, asking how was it luck when I'd been hitting them all night?

As I said, opportunity. You're right, there are no physical reasons, it comes down to opportunity. At the high levels, sponsorship tends to go to blokes. Trina Gulliver is on course to reach the final again but it will be only two sets and I think there were only 8 contestants. There isn't the money in the women's game. Another thing PDC wanted to overhaul but Croft was a prick.

Good arrows on your average! Once I was playing a 1001 doubles match, my partner was playing shit and I hit 4 140's on the spin. When the fourth went in, one of the other team said "Jacksy Bastard" under his breath. My partner went nuts at him, asking how was it luck when I'd been hitting them all night?

That's what i love about darts, there is very little luck apart from the odd deflection you either hit the target or miss or hit the wire. It is probably the fairest sport in the world given that is almost impossible to cheat unless you include the bits of underhanded tactics your opponent can use to rattle you.

Regarding women's darts there has to be more to the explanation that just "opportunity". Surely Trina Gulliver has the same opportunity to practice as Phil Taylor? She may not have his money, But practising darts is relatively inexpensive. If anything she probably has more time with less media attention etc. to deal with?

Regarding women's darts there has to be more to the explanation that just "opportunity". Surely Trina Gulliver has the same opportunity to practice as Phil Taylor? She may not have his money, But practising darts is relatively inexpensive. If anything she probably has more time with less media attention etc. to deal with?

She also has to work a full time job. That's the thing, she is a, what, nine times world champ? Yet my mate signed a pro deal for three years after playing PDC for a year! I totally agree that, given the same amount of practice time, there is no reason why the standard wouldn't be the same but Taylor practices and works out for about 8 hours a day. If you work, you can't do that. When Scott Rand lost to Painter in the semi in the ITV tournament, he beat Wade and Barney in the previous rounds. The very next morning at 7am, he was starting his lorry. Now he has the deal, he can put in the practice hours.

It's all about getting sponsors, they get a percentage of your winnings. Women's darts doesn't have prize money so they don't get the sponsorship deals men do.

Anastasia is one of the biggest names on the women's scene, maybe Butch knows if she has a sponsor to go it full time?

She also has to work a full time job. That's the thing, she is a, what, nine times world champ? Yet my mate signed a pro deal for three years after playing PDC for a year! I totally agree that, given the same amount of practice time, there is no reason why the standard wouldn't be the same but Taylor practices and works out for about 8 hours a day. If you work, you can't do that. When Scott Rand lost to Painter in the semi in the ITV tournament, he beat Wade and Barney in the previous rounds. The very next morning at 7am, he was starting his lorry. Now he has the deal, he can put in the practice hours.

It's all about getting sponsors, they get a percentage of your winnings. Women's darts doesn't have prize money so they don't get the sponsorship deals men do.

Anastasia is one of the biggest names on the women's scene, maybe Butch knows if she has a sponsor to go it full time?

Fair enough, I had no idea she had a job outside of darts.

To be honest, I haven't spoken to her in a long long time but she did back then. She has a few more titles now but if blokes in the lower end of the top 75 of the PDC have to work full time jobs, I can't see many women being able to play full time.

I could be wrong, though, and indeed hope I am.

Do keep us updated in this thread of any leagues you play in and how your teams are going. That goes for everyone!

I know Jonny Vegas and Cum Doctor play, or used to. How is that going, chaps?

Do keep us updated in this thread of any leagues you play in and how your teams are going. That goes for everyone!

Sadly i am long since retired. I was half decent & won a fair few KO's, Also took quite a few quid off people who fancied their chances. Deep down i knew i was not quite good enough as although i could always get big scoreS, The big checkouts usually eluded me (Trebles for show, Doubles for dough).

Our team was a bit different in the sense that everyone of us were mates who happened to play darts, Rather than a team of dart players. If the rules stated that only friends could form a sporting team, We would have been brilliant! We also used to regularly beat the pool team AT POOL!

Edited by britishwrestlinglegends

I know Jonny Vegas and Cum Doctor play, or used to. How is that going, chaps?

I bought a new house about a year and a half ago then really let myself slip and barely practiced for well over a year only throwing the few occasional darts on my break at work or when I was visiting my brother back down in Coventry.

About a week or so ago I finally put my board up in the spare room and have been trying to fit practice in every day off work though one of my main issues is that I have a really bad habit of becoming too easily frustrated and giving up on things that I'm not instantly good at!

I had a look around the darts forums with regards to potential practice partners or more experienced players for tips and pointers but I didn't have much luck.

What's your best advice with regards to practice routines or techniques Keith?

Vary it up.

I usually start with about 21 darts at the bull, just to warm up your throw. Having a practise partner is great, as you get different legs all the time. If you are practising alone, there are still a lot of things you can do, like a 401 or 501 game where you start with three lives and set an amount of darts to finish it in. Start high, then knock one off for the next game. If you don't finish, you lose a life.

Something that's beneficial is working on finishes. Get two dice and roll them, stick a 1 in front of the two amounts on the dice and that's your finish, so if you roll a three and a four, its 134 etc. it helps with your counting and that's a great skill to have. It can disrupt your momentum if you have to stop and think about your shot.

Play the percentage game. If you have 119, what's your first dart? If you go treble 20 and hit a single, you have 99 and two darts in your hand. Go for the 19s and hit the single, you still have a two dart finish possible. Stuff like that really helps.

Thanks for the tips, I've been struggling a lot with my technique since starting up again and in particular my aim. I've read a lot of tips with regards to it and in particular "look where you're throwing and throw where you're looking" but I find myself sometimes being almost inexplicably miles away from where I am aiming with far too many "stray darts".

What's the consensus on Richie George? I'd never seen him play before this tournament, and thought his entry would just be a gimmick, but he's through to the semi-finals. He's not a world-beater at the moment by any means, but obviously he's pretty young - he's six years younger than his dad was before he even started playing darts properly. Any of you connoisseurs see any potential in him? Particularly impressed with his doubles under pressure.

I don't know what it is, but I can't take to the lad at the moment and just think there is something unlikable about him. He's clearly talented and has potential, but is still very raw. I have little doubt that he'll be plying his trade in the PDC before too long (Bobby especially has been much more open in talking about them and mentioning them in his punditry and commentary, whilst Wade and Lloyd were in Richie's corner earlier in the tournament), though I think Waites beats him fairly comfortably in the semi.

The other is really a toss up. I would like to see O'Shea in the final but Harms has been playing well all tournament, has improved since last year and is very consistent. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he beats Tony.

Absolute shocking Final with Waites and O Shea. Say what you like but not averaging over 90 all tournament was not a good showing in my view. Yes Scott won the Title but couldn't help thinking that by having Wesley Harms in the Final instead of Silverback, the game might have been totally different.

Can't see Waites making the switch now, even if uncle Barry made him an offer to refund his 100.000. I love watching Waites play, especially in the Grand Slam, but I can't help think that he's got no ambition to take his game to the next level with the PDC big boys. It just ain't happening now is it.

Harms could stick around another year but Silverback just disappointed so much last night, it was shocking. He beat Green and Harms, and threw a bag of nails in the Final to everyones disbelief at the Lakeside. He must be the only player I've ever seen to look happy holding up a runners up trophy, and the 30.000 prize money is laughable.

This Lakeside event in my opinion should be stripped of it's World Championship status because it's just not right for them to call themselves that, so uncle Barry, do the right thing and make them change it!!!

• Paid Members

There is no way that anyone can 'make' the BDO stop calling themselves a world championship. The WDF is a worldwide body, and despite the obvious gulf in standard, that ain't happening.

I do agree that the final was piss poor, and concur that Waites is happy to play the BDO circuit and have his week playing in the Grand Slam for a week every year.

I was happy it wasn't a complete whitewash, but did anyone else hear Martin Fitzmaurice calling it a "Great final"?! Dinosaur.