Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I say good on him. He obviously enjoys his trade and playing darts at the weekend suits him and the way the BDO works allows him to do it like that, so good luck to him. It is only darts when all is said and done, you don't need to be at it 24/7 to win titles, especially in the BDO.

Posted
I was happy it wasn't a complete whitewash, but did anyone else hear Martin Fitzmaurice calling it a "Great final"?! Dinosaur.

Not just that but when he announced the prize money, that twat said "a cheque for 1000 pounds" before correcting himself. What a total prick Fitzie is.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Has anyone here ever been to a darts exhibition night? I was wondering what the format of these evenings usually is? I know they usually have 2 pro's, people can pay extra to play them & they obviously play each other in the 'main event' but I was curious as to hoe they stretch a full nights 'entertainment' out of it.

Posted

Depends on who is at it to be honest. For instance, Wayne Mardle is a good exhibition night as he has personality and cracks jokes. Scott Rand plays up to the crowd and dances on TV because it increases his exhibition fee, the TV tournaments raised his profile obviously but now he has a gimmick, so to speak, his fee and the demand have increased.

 

They are usually first pro on, then a break for a chicken in a basket type of thing, then the next pro. There is often things like a raffle and a draw to play a pro. That sort of thing.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I figured they'd be pulling people up who've paid to play a game against them & would 'gimmick' it up a bit (throwing with the wrong arm etc) but was wondering how the whole thing played out in terms of structure. Was round my mates house last night (who I run the comedy ngihts with) & we were thinking of other nights we could put on in the same venue that might do well & Darts Exhibitions sounds like it could be a winner. I've done some digging on fee's etc but was just wondering how they flesh the night out.

Posted

Yeah, it's lot more organised than it used to be, that's for sure! One thing that helps greatly, and I'm sure you'll be fine for this, is having a good MC for the night. That can make the difference between watching good darts and having a good night.

 

One thing a lot of them have is half exhibition, half presentation night. A local league has its trophies dished out at the end of the season by a pro makes the winners feel all warm inside, although I suspect leagues are pretty closed shop about that and they organise them nights on their own.

 

Normally, as long as the pro gets their money, you can do whatever. Same goes for darts nights etc etc.

  • Paid Members
Posted

From looking around there's a couple of places that provide an MC & can 'book' players for me too. However, I've seen similar things with comedy & so I'll be paying their cut too. I'll get myself along to a couple of these & see how they go down, a mate who's been just emailed me & said they're pretty informal & mostly joke/banter driven between the players, MC & crowd. I think I may have overestimated how formal/sporting these things are.

Posted

I was at a night in Stranraer where Paul Nicolson, Robert Thornton, Daryl Fitton and Gary Robson played against four qualifiers, through to semis and final. Between each stage Michael Van Gerwen played against guys, who either won a raffle or bid for the spot (I think). He would give guys a head start, etc.

 

The best part was him throwing a 170 checkout with straws instead of flights. It was a great night. Well worth it.

  • 5 months later...
Posted

Going down to Blackpool this weekend for the PDC World Matchplay for the second time after such an enjoyable evening last time round (the darts that is, not necessarily Blackpool itself).

 

Winter Gardens is a stunning building in it's own right and from the darts point of view the whole experience and night in general is absolute night and day in comparison to a Premier League event.

 

Also have a couple of spare tickets going if anyone is around and fancies it give me a shout.

Posted

I enjoy the Matchplay.

 

I think Taylor and MVG are clear favorites, but neither are unbeatable as shown in the Euros a few weekends back where Adi Lewis and Whitlock were on form.

 

I hope Barney shows up in form, and would like a good showing from Nicholson and Anderson to keep them in the rankings. Anyone but Taylor winning and I would be happy, a surprise would be nice.

Posted (edited)

Taylor vs Jenkins was a bit of a corker tonight, best match I have seen in a while. Shame Jenkins did not win. Taylor was his usual self in the interview afterwards, he seems to know be a mind reader.

 

Jenkins "I do not practice much" Taylor (in response) "He is lying, one of the best practicers in the game"

 

Later on

 

Jenkins said something like "I would like some nice holidays" hinting at retirement or scaling back Taylor in response "He talks some shit" He actually stopped before swearing, but even he admitted he was about to swear.

 

Elsewhere, Wade is looking classy and Barney just seems jaded again. The later rounds could be tasty, a Taylor vs MVG final could be a classic.

Edited by jimufctna24
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Posted

Anyone watching the Grand Prix on Sky Sports? Kicked off last night with a real nail biter between Steve Beaton & James Wade.

  • 2 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...