General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members

Any man that didn't like Godfather 1 or 2 and is still willing to sit through the third film twice is a glutton for punishment

Godfather 1, I flat out didn't like. Godfather 2 wasn't bad, but wasn't the masterpiece that was being shoved down my throat by people and with Godfather 3, I liked Andy Garcia in it, to be honest. But that was it.

And if Sofia Coppola kept her mouth closed and didn't show her teeth I could accept the fact that the very handsome Andy Garcia would court her.

• Paid Members

Godfather 1&2 and Goodfellas are three of my most watched films. I simply can't comprehend how a fella can't get swept up in the depraved flow of it all. They are three rare films where the director, script and actors are all working at an inimitable level of quality.

For shame.

• Paid Members

Any man that didn't like Godfather 1 or 2 and is still willing to sit through the third film twice is a glutton for punishment

Godfather 1, I flat out didn't like. Godfather 2 wasn't bad, but wasn't the masterpiece that was being shoved down my throat by people and with Godfather 3, I liked Andy Garcia in it, to be honest. But that was it.

And if Sofia Coppola kept her mouth closed and didn't show her teeth I could accept the fact that the very handsome Andy Garcia would court her.

I can't get past the fact that she looks like Francis Ford Coppella without a beard. Her face looks like it was done by a police sketch artist who was trying to get fired.

And yes, Andy Garcia is delightful. I might watch Internal Affairs tonight to celebrate that fact.

But could they have stopped at Part 2 and have a definitive end?

Obviously Coppola didn't want to make the third part but had to when (I forget which) one of his films bombed and he was in his arse.

For what it's worth, Part 3 isn't terrible and is horrendously over acted, but obviously there is no comparison to 1 and 2.

• Paid Members

But could they have stopped at Part 2 and have a definitive end?

Obviously Coppola didn't want to make the third part but had to when (I forget which) one of his films bombed and he was in his arse.

For what it's worth, Part 3 isn't terrible and is horrendously over acted, but obviously there is no comparison to 1 and 2.

The third wasn't wanted by anyone, including Coppola but they offered him enough money to stop him and his production company from going under (One from the Heart is often blamed but that was nearly a decade earlier but its more likely due to Coppola constantly over spending ). Everyone openly admits they did it for the money.

I think the official line from them is that 1&2 are 'The Godfather', the third is an epilogue, separate to the other two films and not really needed

Wasn't it The Cotton Club that bombed?

These films are always best going in with as little knowledge as possible. Two of my favourites from that era are The Conversation and Marathon Man because they hadn't been hyped before I'd seen them.

• Paid Members

Wasn't it The Cotton Club that bombed?

These films are always best going in with as little knowledge as possible. Two of my favourites from that era are The Conversation and Marathon Man because they hadn't been hyped before I'd seen them.

That was still 6-7 years before. I think its genuinely a case of him making bombs for most of the 80s.

Totally agree with The Conversation, that's one of those films everyone seems to find themselves.

• Paid Members

Always thought "Gardens of Stone" was a good Coppola film. You don't hear of it much.

Never seen it, any good? More importantly, is it better than Jack?

Miles better than "Jack". It's about the family back home of a soldier in Vietnam. James Caan and James Earl Jones are in it. From 1987, I believe.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• 2 weeks later...