Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

There's a cap on my progression because of my emotional intelligence and perceived resilience. The fact I know I can, work hard and have a great aptitude won't matter. I don't like it and fight to prove people wrong, but I never expect to succeed.

On an unrelated note I'm after a Wolverhampton wanderers hot water bottle case. Can any one recommend where I could get on or have one made?

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Folks, if I wanted to play a YouTube video to people online, and have a chat facility run alongside it so we could discuss what was going on on screen, is such a thing possible?  Any ideas?

Would need to be something relatively straight forward too, there will be tech limitations across the group.

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators

Best bet is a simple screen share app, as those usually have a chat function built in. Easy enough to use if you can get them to install it.

I know there are a few virtual meeting / conference programmes around some of which have free versions, but you'll need to check out what the limitations on the free versions are to see what suits your purposes.

• Paid Members

Folks, if I wanted to play a YouTube video to people online, and have a chat facility run alongside it so we could discuss what was going on on screen, is such a thing possible?  Any ideas?

Would need to be something relatively straight forward too, there will be tech limitations across the group.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

This should work fine for you, just create a room and you can add youtube videos to stream with a chat box to the side

https://togethertube.com/

Thanks in advance.

This should work fine for you, just create a room and you can add youtube videos to stream with a chat box to the side

• Paid Members

Programmes like Skype have a screen share function and still allow for typing conversation. That would probably be your best bet

Cheers matey.  For contingency, can you add an arseload of people to it? or is it just for one to one chat?

Thanks in advance.

This should work fine for you, just create a room and you can add youtube videos to

Oh you magnificent bugger you!!

WeatcMR.gif

• Paid Members

What are people's opinions on older MacBooks? For instance, I found a 2008 MacBook on Amazon (used/refurb) for like £150-£180 (2gb and 4gb RAM respectively.) The MacBook will mainly be used just for uni stuff. Writing, mainly. I would also like to mess around with Linux a bit and I have read that older MacBooks are good for that. It's just that price point that has me wondering, maybe it's a little too old? It'd be that or go with a brand new Chromebook or ThinkPad or some other type of Acer of Asus laptop in that price range. Thoughts (on this subject) welcome. 

Specs for the MacBook:

• Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz processor with 800MHz FSB and 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache
  • 2048MB (2x1024MB) PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
  • 160 GB (5400rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
  • 13.3 inch (viewable) glossy widescreen TFT WXGA display

• Paid Members

I had one, lasted 4 years. Track pad fucked 4 times, had it replaced twice.

However, decent machine in all and was great for music production programs. However it's 2016, so you can likely find much better spec machine for an extra £50 if you you're not bothered about it being a mac.

In all honesty from my personal experience, if you are only using it for office docs and general browsing, I wouldn't bother with a mac.

I have an iMac these days, again though for production programs. I wouldn't have bothered if not using it for creative stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Google hangouts should do this.

EDIT: Ooops seen you were answered already.

Archived