Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

I will try that that but it doesn't even seem to reach the stage where I can click into the bios and stuff. This only happened after I had been booting Tails off a USB on and off for a few months. I've got Windows 10 on the actual hard drive but there isn't anything on there that I'm worried about losing. It was basically just my fuck around, dodgy stuff laptop (hence booting Tails so much). I think it cost about £150 a year ago. So not gutted if I can't get it up and running again but I'll give anything a shot.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the best place for flights? I'm wanting to go to Amsterdam so if anybody has tips, cheers!

Skyscanner is the best price comparison site for flights, but if you're on a budget you can take a Eurostar train from St Pancras or a Megabus coach. I'd strongly advise against the latter of course.

Cheers, some unbelievable deals on there. Barcelona's looking pretty tempting. 50 quid return.

• Paid Members

Has anyone got any experience with adding smart features to their home? For instance something lighting related like WeMo or Hue? And what about Nest? Nest seems like it would be more complicated to install and set up (I'd have to remove one of my existing thermostats, I assume?) I've been thinking of buying an Amazon Echo Dot (they're only £50 and seem to have almost entirely the same functionality as the £100 more expensive full size Echo) and would like to, eventually, incorporate other smart home features along with it.

• Paid Members

If we didn't basically live in a cupboard, and if the Mrs. wasn't home the whole time, I'd love some of that automated home shit. I was gutted in the mid 2000s when they stopped making the SMS kettle, and I really want the teasmaid that fries you an egg, but I need to get my sparky mate to rewire it so that it would work properly on the weak trickle of electric piss that dribbes out of yank plug sockets.

DIY expert needed.

My electric shower seems to have just stopped working.  I've had a look and think I know what part's broken, but wouldn't dare to try and fix it, and looking at how much they cost, it'd no doubt only be slightly more expensive to buy a new one than pay someone to try and fix the old one.  So, buy a new one.  Not as simple as buying a new toaster though.  So my question is, if I buy a new one, with next to no DIY skills, am I going to easily and safely be able to fit the new one to the wall?  I am guessing for simplicity I would want to buy one that is as close to the same size as the old one, although, just because it's the same size, doesn't mean the screws will be in the same place.  Then what if the bit where the water inlet (?) goes is in a different place?   Easy enough to buy one where it's in the same place?

Just general help is what I'm after.  If anyone wants to volunteer to the all this work for me that'd be great too.

• Awards Moderator

Just don't even attempt it. It's water and electricity, those two bezzie mates. If you're not even slightly sure it will fuck you over.

Assuming you're still in Essex Darty I'm happy to send you my sparks / plumber number who will discount for cash.

• Paid Members

Drug question: Does anyone have any experience with 2C-B Hbr?  With Halloween coming up, we've got a small number of friends coming round. I try (try!) not to drink anymore but I'm still cool with drugs, in moderation (actually, aside from the opiate addiction I recently kicked and the brief but significant Xanax madness I went on quite recently). Now, I have some magic truffles, a little acid and 2C-B Hbr. Truffles and acid I know about. 2C-B, I know less. Has anyone had it? What should I expect from a 20-25mg dose?

This being the UKFF, I expect a number of pretty funny responses but if anyone has legit any experience with it they can offer, it'd be greatly appreciated. Harm reduction and all that. Thanks.

• Paid Members

Nah, in the U.K. While traveling I was almost always not on something. Couldn't get shit. Even stuff like pseudo ephedrine, a common cold and flu medicine in the U.K., was tightly controlled in many of the countries I visited. Cambodia is still good for getting pretty much whatever you want from a pharmacist and then Xanax was a very popular tourist purchase in Thailand but the government cracked down on it.

My sister in law is a teacher. She's recently had two letters from her school, one saying "sorry you can't have a payrise because you didn't meet your targets" and another saying "you've been selected for an OFSTED viewing because you're really great." Any suggestions about courses of action, other than just stapling the two together, taking them to the headteacher and saying "WTF?"

Yeah it's the targets for grades thing, I think. As in, they always set unachievable targets so you can never get a raise. It just highlights the bullshit factor IMO.

It seems to be the thing at the moment you re doing great, but no way can you have a payrise, or you are brilliant but nah.. Fucking stupid!

I had the best rejection letter in a while recently for a job. You had the best test score than 90% of people who have ever taken it ( over 15 years or so) passed all the other bumpf by miles. but our independent scrutineer panel have decided you haven't show enough aptitude.

Seriously wtf  GAHHHHHH

Archived