Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Dear former and current uni students, I have a question about essays. I'm doing one and the question is: "what are the main differences between the liberal pluralist and political economy perspectives on British journalism?" Now, I understand and can explain the differences. But I'm a bit stuck as I'm assuming that I'm expected to reference a bunch of sources, right? Like, so and so says liberal pluralism is this and other guy says political economy is this. Are there essays at university level where you just write as you understand the subject? You always have to reference stuff right? This is the first essay I've done where it hasn't been 100% clear to me where and how I'd use references.

The criteria should be made clear in the course materials.  Generally I've always been given at least a word count along with a requirement to make a certain number of citations, sometimes with a limit on where the citations can come from.  If you're unsure email the tutor or course lead and ask, there's no such thing as a stupid question.

That's definitely the best bet I'd say.  I'm doing a Childhood Practice BA and one of the difficulties is that a lot of the work is reflective pieces on my current work practices, which means using words like 'I' that would normally appear in academic writing.  My sister has two social policy degrees and she just couldn't get her head around how my essay was written.

Where's the best place to buy a cheap winter jacket, a parka for example? I'm skint and cold!

Get yourself a Regatta jacket. They're always on offer in the usual places, Sports Direct, TK, The Range etc. You're not getting better value/quality than Regatta without paying £100+. I've got a lightweight rain/wind proof one that's perfect for walking the dog, and a heavier one that melts you if it's anything above 0c. They were about £20 each. They look nice enough too if you're into that North Face style. 

On a similar subject, if anyone's looking for winter/walking boots then get a pair of Karrimors from Sports Direct. Paid about £30 for some a few years back and they're still good as new.

• Paid Members

If it asks for it or not I'd always suggest using references.

It might have changed but when I was there a few years back if you gave them a balanced argument with some analyzed references and a structured conclusion and they spaffed their pants.

I remember we had to do a small businesses plan in one, some bloke I knew did a gym, he loved the gym. I did an ice cream van because I could pad out with working around a seasonal trend. He got fuck all because it was all he knew about gyms and mine was a load of bollock, but bollocks they wanted.

Just got Tinder for the first time. Do people tend to unmatch you if you've not messaged after a while or have they just realised they made a grave mistake? I had two notifications saying I had messages, but when I went to look at them they weren't there and aren't in my matches. I think they matched yesterday but I was too busy to talk.

Yeah Tinder is pants for stuff like that, full of hey sexy, do you want to talk, then use this virus riddled spam ware programme, utterly cack

Does anyone know any good places in the North West for Laser Hair Removal? Cheers

I want a Kindle for Christmas. Nothing to fancy, just one that's big enough to actually read and can download books. What's recommended, that's not a stupid price? I don't do technology much.

Just check the Amazon deals, you can get a fire for 35 quid at the minute. Or you can get a 6 inch Kindle for 50

Archived