Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, my last 10 days or so have been uber shit,

My fiancee, dumped me via Facebook and has now ran off with someone else

I've had a colonoscopy, for cancer testing/other foul diseases

I have been served with notice to quit my house in 3 weeks as it's been sold and I have no where to go as my house purchase is pretty much dead in the water.

I have been diagnosed with Anxious Attachment Order, which has resulted in my parents fucking off

I od'd on Ibropufen again, in part due to Champix messing with my mood receptors.

Anyway, aside from all that, things are pretty good, and the quacks have put me on Sertraline (50mg). Is anyone else on them? and if so what side effects etc should I be looking out for. My mood is good, I'm actually not miserable for the first time in donkeys and seem stable, so that's a win.

Also, does anyone have experience with Anxious Attachment and know what is best for combatting that. I've ordered some books and am getting counselling for that, but any real world tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers

I was actually crying with laughter at Surf's post.

Go on then, pat, what is anxious attachment? I can't seem to find a definition of it online without having to read a whole medical journal...

In short, unconditional love was unavailable from primary care givers, during childhood and adolescence.

Everything was condtional based on achieving or sticking to unhealthy rules.

This in turn leads people with it to have no healthy self esteem, or idea of self as they have had to change themselves in order to be able to find/recieve any type of affection or love.

It manifests itself as working too hard to please in all facets of life as conditional love has meant that can only accept love once targets or something has been achieved.

It means latching on to wildly unstable and inappropriate friendships and relationships where any love is shown, in any form as an attempt to seek self worth and validation.

Any of those people can become primary care givers, and as such any withdrawal of that care, causes massive separation anxiety and causes over reaction, clingyness, smothering to occur as the source of conditional love, no matter how inappropriate is withdrawn.

Explains a fucking shitload of things to me and as to how I've been throughout life. Now just got to work on it, in terms of self worth, unlearning conditioning and how to attach healthily to relationships.

Hope that helps.

Hope that diagnosis helps you to take some much needed time off from relationships for a bit, pat!

Yeah it does. I've been 'banned' from even dating for at least six months by my mates so can get my house in order and not immediately latch on to the next abusive person that comes along.

I'm starting to learn :)

Get off the Champix Pat and find something else to use to quit smoking, I worked at a Smoking Cessation Clinic for a few months and in that short period I was amazed how many people I talked to had suicidal tendencies whilst taking it.

It sounds like you have enough drama in your life, the Champix will just add to it.    

One trick that helped me give up smoking was smoking cigarettes I didn't like (i.e. menthols and rollies). I enjoyed Marlboro Lights too much to just give up straight away, so I smoked roll ups and menthols for a couple of weeks. You get to the point where you just have a couple of tokes and throw the rest. Didn't take long for me to have cut down enough to just stop altogether. Recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to go the Champix, Nicorette, or vape route.

Edit: FWIW, I didn't mind roll-ups as a rule but I bought brands I didn't like.

Archived