Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I smashed my phone screen this morning. It still works, but the touchscreen doesn't respond (I can plug headphones in and the music player plays, I'm receiving messages I can't read, I can answer incoming calls if I plug my bluetooth headset in and use the button on that - so functionally definitely all fine).

It's a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, so it's a fairly budget phone though not totally cheapo.

How much would getting the screen replaced run me?

If that doesn't really make economic sense (I don't much like the handset, so if there's only a small difference I'd rather just buy a new phone) then what are some good recommended Android handsets?

My criteria is that it doesn't need to be superflashy latest thing. More like a decent budget midrange phone. Don't care about the camera. The only dealbreaker criteria I have is that I want it to be able to take a micro sd card.

Any help gratefully received!

I've just bought a Samsung J5 for my father in law. I have to say, for £150 I was very impressed. It's very light and the OS is pretty quick. Camera isn't amazing but you're not bothered about that. I'd say it's biggest downfall is it's only 8GB internal but is expandable to 128GB.

It's got pretty positive reviews.

• Awards Moderator

I smashed my phone screen this morning. It still works, but the touchscreen doesn't respond (I can plug headphones in and the music player plays, I'm receiving messages I can't read, I can answer incoming calls if I plug my bluetooth headset in and use the button on that - so functionally definitely all fine).

It's a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, so it's a fairly budget phone though not totally cheapo.

How much would getting the screen replaced run me?

If that doesn't really make economic sense (I don't much like the handset, so if there's only a small difference I'd rather just buy a new phone) then what are some good recommended Android handsets?

My criteria is that it doesn't need to be superflashy latest thing. More like a decent budget midrange phone. Don't care about the camera. The only dealbreaker criteria I have is that I want it to be able to take a micro sd card.

Any help gratefully received!

iSmash run a quote service on their website. It won't be the cheapest but the guys there are totally professional with a guarantee etc. Better than those 'mate down the pub' type repair services. I had an Galaxy S3 screen replaced this year for £70. If the touchscreen has gone as well it's supposedly more expensive.

Why don't you look at the Galaxy mini series? Really cheap but still packed with enough power to run everything you want, and because it's Samsung you can extend it with a card.

• Moderators

That looks like it could be just the ticket! I've already got a 128 card in my other phone. Cheers..

That was in response to Steve - it certainly looks like Samsung is going to be my choice. Can do a Prime order and get it tomorrow... Just grabbing a new SIM now from Vodafone shop across from the office..

• Paid Members

What's decent in the world of MP3 players these days? I've just bought a car with an integrated stereo that has an Aux in, but no USB or SD card slot so this is my best option.

I want simplicity. No custom file format or propriety software, just USB it up to the laptop and drag & drop. I'd even consider a shuffle type. If I can actually plug an SD card into it, then all the better because I can just use the one from the old car.

• Moderators

Ah man. Condolences. Every car I've ever been in with an Aux in, it has been really quiet. It's very frustrating. If it takes mp3 cds I would use those instead (that's what I ended up doing with my old car).

Do people still use standalone mp3 players much? I guess most people use their phones... I have one that use just for exercise but that's a different spec than you would be looking for, I would think - very small memory and screen; basically a usb stick with a headphone jack and small lcd display. It is very simple though, so it does fulfil that criteria of yours! It's a Samsung jobby I got of Amazon for dirt cheap.

• Paid Members

I use a very old Ipod Shuffle for when I'm doing a bit of exercising as it had a great clip that just hooked onto your clothes. I remember there was a piece of kit that allowed me to play it in the car too, which was nice.

Mostly just use the phone though.

Archived