Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

May as well be honest here and ask for advice.

I can sometimes suffer from anxiety and experience mood swings. It his me in strange ways; for example I can deal in my work with pretty serious situations (I am a Support Worker with children and young adults who have Additional Suport Needs; some of whom have a very high level of healthcare needs) and was given praise earlier in the year for how I dealt with a situation which was potentially life threatening. What I have difficulty with is then submitting reports (which I know are of a good standard) which I will rewrite without reason or how petty internal politics simply depress me. Similarly looking at people who are supposed to display a positive attitude in their profession swagger about with a "I'm too busy" attitude angers and depresses me more than it should.

I spoke to my GP after trying various ways of stopping this and have been prescribed Citalopram.  This doesn't embarrass me and, for a change, I do not see this as being a failure on my part.

My question is I do like to help people and will give up my seat or cross the road to be helpful to others that need it.
Will this medication take the positives in my nature and my behavior away as well as dealing with my anxiety and moods. If it does then I'd rather not take it. I will obviously start a diary to see how it works but it does concern me that it may take away positive aspects of who I am.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Short answer: no. I have been on 40mg Citalopram for about 5 years now and when I first started, it was a bit of a shock, and I expected it fix everything straight away, but it doesn't.

The medication will not change you in any way, but it will help you manage and stabilise more. This will only work if you let it, and I'm no doctor, but you sound like you could do with some CBT which combined with the meds should help you.

Best of luck, and keep positive!!!

• Paid Members

I was on citolapram, it helped me cope but never took away the good in me, if anything it accentuated that side of me.

It made me drowsy and made it a two week mission to spunk but was defiantly a good move looking back.

Not a long term one for me, but it is well worth trying but I'd definitely big up CBT.

Ive just cone off Citalopram after 5 years. It worked great for me. It's not a fix all happy pill but it gives you a good foundation to build on. It's great that you don't see it as a failure on your part because it isn't. I'd say it's a strength on your part that you did it.

Hoping some techies will be able to help me with this problem I'm having with my network connection.

Recently my laptop has been losing it's connection sporadically. It is connected to my router via ethernet so I'm not using wifi. Mobiles/tabs are connecting fine via wifi and my PS4 which is also connected direct to my router is also fine. When I troubleshoot the problem it comes up with "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration. It shows it as fixed and I'm all connected again until it drops out again. This came be in 20 minutes time or the following day. I have changed the ethernet cable and restarted the laptop and router.

I have googled it but everyone who's having this issue are not connected at all even after troubleshooting, so it's more of a permantent issue for them.

Any ideas?

It's possible you have an IP conflict on your network, I.e two devices with the same network address.

If you can login to your router it should have an option to allocate IP addresses to devices meaning they get the same address each time. Get the MAC address of your laptop (CMD prompt > IPConfig all > Physical address) and tell your router to assign that MAC address to an IP address of your choice. Pick something in the right range but quite high up, so if your network is in the 192.168.0 range, try something like 192.168.0.199

Or if it's in the 192.168.1 range, try 192.168.1.199

Google will explain it better than I can but I would suggest giving that a go.

So my router doesn't give me the option to change those settings. It just lists which Mac address for each device is associated to which IP. All the IP's are different.

Today I reloaded my laptop in the hope it would fix it. It hasn't. It's the same problem as previous but it flicks between the local area connection fault and now a "The default gateway is not available" fault.

Troubleshooting fixes it, but inevitably drops out again.

I think it may be a hardware issue.

EDIT:- I took my laptop to work yesterday and connected to the network. No dop out at all so it wasn't a hardware issue. I looked for more info on being able to change the IP settings on my router and managed to find a step by step video on YouTube. I've changed them and I've had no drop out at all thus far, so fingers crossed that has sorted it. Cheers for your help.

• Paid Members

This link just popped up on my Facebook:

Dating show couple awkwardly argues over who should pay bill, online debate ensues

I just wondered what your view is?

I don't think it's a case of feminism/sexism/independence/whatever but just plain rudeness. If I was with ANYONE who pushed a bill towards me at the end of a meal together I'd be like "WTF dude?!" You don't EXPECT people to pay for you regardless of gender. At the end of a meal, if someone said "No, don't worry, I'll get this," then I would ask if they were sure, offer to pay half (or my portion) and if they insisted then let them pay and be thankful. There is no way I would expect to pay for someone else OR for someone else to pay for me.

Citalopram is some pretty decent stuff, seen it do wonders and seen it also not be enough for some folk, but they were people with substantial amounts of anxiety tbf. Just be mindful of going out drinking on the stuff, as it gets to you nearly double the speed and you may start to think you're Superman but maybe that's just my experience

Also won't do much for you immediately except effect your sex drive negatively and possibly appetite also - I had to switch to sertraline because I was borderline underweight and it was fuckin me up a bit, I think a GP will tell you it takes about 2 months to notice any change, as is the case for most anti-deps

This link just popped up on my Facebook:

Dating show couple awkwardly argues over who should pay bill, online debate ensues

I just wondered what your view is?

I don't think it's a case of feminism/sexism/independence/whatever but just plain rudeness. If I was with ANYONE who pushed a bill towards me at the end of a meal together I'd be like "WTF dude?!" You don't EXPECT people to pay for you regardless of gender. At the end of a meal, if someone said "No, don't worry, I'll get this," then I would ask if they were sure, offer to pay half (or my portion) and if they insisted then let them pay and be thankful. There is no way I would expect to pay for someone else OR for someone else to pay for me.

Interesting.

I always offer to pay (especially a first date) but would be pretty pissed off if she slid the bill over expecting it - you're spot on, it's just plain rude!  Equality when it suits.

I didn't see it. The article says she offered him £30 after he challenged her.  If she'd done that to me I'd probably have politely told her to poke it.

I'm a huge equality champion when it comes to things like equal rights, equal pay, etc but the rudeness around expecting preferential treatment winds me up because that isn't wanting equality; it's expecting something better than equal which is an inherently unfair attitude. I'll hold doors open, I'll pay for meals, and I'll give up seats on public transport for people who need it, but because it's polite and the right thing to do, not specifically because of someone's gender.  I've seen women get on trains and stand tutting by guys who haven't given their seats up but why should they be expected to (obvious exception if someone clearly needs it - pregnant women, old people of either gender, etc)? If you need it, then ask for it.When I was first back at work after breaking my ankle I had to ask for a seat on the way home a couple of times which was ridiculously uncomfortable as a healthy looking guy in my early 20s but 'im ever so sorry but would you mind if i had that seat - i broke my ankle recently and cant stand up for long' was enough. The amount of people who seem to get offended when you just give up your seat is equally ridiculous.  

rant over...

I don't think it's a case of feminism/sexism/independence/whatever but just plain rudeness.

How does the show work? If I'd asked someone on a date I'd be planning on paying. If they're paired up by the show then I'd be expecting to split it.

If they're paired by the show I'd expect the show to cover it!

Archived