Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me and the wife are looking at heading out to New York next year around June time. I've been before (about 10 years ago) and booked everything through Experia, which cost a fair chunk. What is the best approach to booking holidays out there now? We're looking for somewhere nice and comfortable without having to spend a lot of money. We want to go for a week, self catering, fairly central (at least walking distance to Time Square and surrounding area) and don't mind if it's a hotel or converted studio.

The last time I went I caught a taxi from JFK to my hotel and it cost more than I expected. I assume you can get a train from either airports direct in to the city and then get a cab from there? Will this work out cheaper?

• Paid Members

Yeah, second the reading carefully bit. There have been problems with cons on airbnb in the past - there were cases of people booking, paying the fee up front, getting to the destination and finding either no such address, a building site or an owner who had no clue what was going on.

Those problems seem to have died down largely, though - the review system helps a great deal.

I'd been trying to buy tickets for Barcelona vs. Espanyol last night. The site is shit though and wouldn't load up the payment page on two browsers on my phone or the hotel's iMac. My partner went to book them this morning on her iPad and ended up buying tickets to the Barca vs. Sevilla game this Saturday instead accidentally. These tickets aren't cheap, but the support line say they can't give refunds and won't entertain the idea of getting the manager on. What the fuck do I do?

Kicking myself now. I lowered the ticket price in the end last night to £50 per ticket. No tickets seemed to be selling. I'd tried them at £95 per ticket up to that point. Now today, the day of the game, all the tickets seem to be getting snapped up. If I'd have held my nerve, I probably could have sold them for £95+.

I've also bought the tickets for the Espanyol game and may have been able to save money buying the tickets from Viagogo on the day.

At least I got something back, but should have held my nerve.

Well we've decided on a place to stay in NY. The next hurdle is the flights. The cheapest I've found is a return from Birmingham to Newark with United Airlines for £650 each. I knew they'd be expensive but that has essentially priced us out of the trip unfortunately. Well for next year at least anyway.

• Paid Members

Does anybody here suffer with seriously bad anxiety attacks and have any advice on how to combat them? I've had them for a few years now but the last few days they've started to cause my arm to twitch rather violently and always need to move (which when working behind a bar has left me unable to work as I keep spilling/dropping things) and yesterday left me unable to talk without having a massive stutter and ticking when I tried to speak.

I've been put on valium for the weekend to try and 'calm me' but its had no effect this evening and now I'm quite miserable, wide awake after being wiped out all day from the medication and unable to talk to any of my flat s its like 3am and it takes me ages to even be able to mouth hello.

Has anyone done anything with breathing techniques or the likes that can help me as I don't think I can put up with a whole Sunday like this too before I go back to the Doctors Monday morning.

• Paid Members

Yeah, that's the way. Valium is a really shit drug, IMO. Even high strength didn't knock my anxiety. Our dopehead friends must mix it with something to get it to work. Get off of those as quick as possible.

Breathing is the only thing that always worked.

I wouldn't wish anxiety/panic attacks upon anybody. A mate went down the valium route and it ended up doing more harm than good in the long run so I'd be wary of that. Talking about them helps as do breathing techniques as mentioned above. Also, completely cut out smoking and booze and any cheap energy drinks. Improve your diet and do some moderate exercise (even if it's a power walk or jog most days). You won't stop them overnight.

Archived