Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK so in a week im heading to San Francisco and shortly after that im driving from there to Las Vegas. My first question is has anybody done this before and have any tips or advice? My second question is, I have a Tom Tom sat nav which has UK maps on a memory card, am I able to buy a USA maps card or can I download one onto a card in anyway?

• Moderators

I have done that drive. No idea about the Tom Tom though.

Do you have much time on the road in between, or is strictly a drive through? I went to both Yosemite National Park and the Grand Canyon. Didn't leave enough time to do the Grand Canyon properly, which was a shame, but absolute adored the couple days I spent in Yosemite.

Even if you're not stopping off you'll see an insane amount of natural beauty, and quite varied too depending on the route you take. Honestly though, doing it that way didn't really put me in the frame of mind to really enjoy Vegas for what it was. I came through such amazing natural surroundings to this disgusting crass town plonked down in the desert and all I could think was "what a fucking waste".

Sorry. Don't mean to put a downer on it. I think I was the only one that felt that way, tbh.

Anyway, my advice would still be if your itinerary is not fixed then shave time off the Vegas bit to do do some other stuff on the way. You will definitely have fun in Vegas (I did, too, despite my initial negativity), but it's not the kind of place where you need to spend a long time.

Thanks Chest.

We dont have a huge amount of time, its mainly just an A to B drive rather than seeing sights but we obviously want a nice drive with things to see along the way too. We have tickets for a gig in Vegas the night we drive there so cant get there too late but might leave a bit earlier in the morning to enjoy the sights on the drive a bit more.

Which route would you take? Obviously the shortest (8 hours) is the interstate way (I-5) but im told theres still amazing views and sights along the way or there is the way through Yosemite Park which is longer (10+ hours) but is obviously a lot more pleasing on the eye.

May as well put it out there and ask if anyone has recommendations for in San Fran itself? Were going to a baseball game and Alcatraz but are pretty much free for the rest of the four days we are there.

Thanks Chest.

We dont have a huge amount of time, its mainly just an A to B drive rather than seeing sights but we obviously want a nice drive with things to see along the way too. We have tickets for a gig in Vegas the night we drive there so cant get there too late but might leave a bit earlier in the morning to enjoy the sights on the drive a bit more.

Which route would you take? Obviously the shortest (8 hours) is the interstate way (I-5) but im told theres still amazing views and sights along the way or there is the way through Yosemite Park which is longer (10+ hours) but is obviously a lot more pleasing on the eye.

May as well put it out there and ask if anyone has recommendations for in San Fran itself? Were going to a baseball game and Alcatraz but are pretty much free for the rest of the four days we are there.

I can't give you specific insight about that drive, but a few months ago, me and the wife drove from LA to Phoenix, then up to Grand Canyon, then back to LA in a loop. I'd heard from various sources how "boring" it was to drive in the US but it was stunning, all the way. I don't know if you can spare a day to go to Grand Canyon, we only spent about 6 hours there, if you can get there for the sunset, it'll be worth it.

• Paid Members
Can't remember the band or year but who was it played Letterman and had half the band missing and had to use half of his band to fill in? I think it was an English band, doing my head in

Procol Harum in 1991.

• Paid Members

Whilst being sat on hold, I had a moment of genius and came up with an idea for the most incredible desk tidy. I need to design/program it and find someone who can create it for me before my mind wanders off onto something else.

• Paid Members

OK, sorry if this is a long one (Kenneth Williams face). Has anyone on here dealt with bailiffs before?

Basically, me and my girlfriend moved into a house a few months ago. We're just renting at the minute and we've been getting letters addressed to the previous tenant ever since we moved in. We didn't open them but about two weeks ago a bailiff knocked my door wanting to speak to this previous tenant. I explained the situation, obviously that we're not who he's looking for, showed him my tenancy agreement and he seemed happy enough and left. He did say we might still get another letter but to ignore it.

Now today I get home from work and there is another letter. At first I just thought 'well he said if we get one just ignore it', but it's dated yesterday so they've sent this out after me already showing them the tenancy agreement and proving this isn't our debt. In the letter they're on about bringing locksmiths and all sorts and that they'll come in even if we're not home.

What's the best way to handle this? We don't owe anyone a penny and this is a ballache I could really do without. It wouldn't bother me so much because I can prove to anyone who knocks that I'm not this bloke. But my girlfriend's all stressed over it and the baby's due in a bit over a month. She's worried the bailiffs are just going to come in and take everything any day now. I suspect it's either a) they're trying to bluff me into coughing up out of fear, or b) the guy I spoke to at my door who seemed happy with my explanation hasn't told his superiors. Either way, I don't have to let them in my house do I?

I know fuck all about how this works but they can't just force entry and take stuff can they? Surely they have to prove this is our debt, which they can't, before they do anything.

Sorry for going on and thanks in advance if anyone can give any advice.

Archived