Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

My laptop says over the battery icon "consider replacing your battery".

Going to be a few weeks before I can afford one. How long can a laptop last with that? It works fine with my charger in... stupid question I know.

Mine lasted 4 weeks then after that I had to have my laptop constantly plugged in, the minute the charger gets removed my computer shuts down, bit annoying.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator
I keep getting a warning sign over my wifi signal telling me that I have limited connectivity, which means no internet. Resetting my router usually solves the problem, but I shouldn't having to be resetting it several times a day surely? I'm guessing it's a problem with the laptop itself as my other computer, as well as my housemate's laptop doesn't have this problem.

Any ideas? Cheers!

Try giving the laptop a static ip address.

How would one go about this? Sorry, I'm a bit of a technological spaz.

What OS are you running? Windows 7? Mac OS X?

Whilst on a techie theme, one of me mates lap tops has gone gonzo and is completely unstable. It wont boot to safe mode properly before blank screening. I'm assuming that is a virus picked up from a torrent as they do a lot of downloading and use utorrent but scan nothing :/ to check for viruses etc. I need some memory jogging.

I'm assuming it's a boot from disk dealio to get a stable form of windows and then remove utorrent etc and virus scan/malwarebytes etc etc. However if utorrent is being initialized at boot, causing the issues, how do I disable it from boot? I seem to remember a way of booting windows where you can choose what components to load, but have completely forgotten how to do it. Is it repair mode so can disable when booting?

I know there is something up the computer as Chrome keeps resetting to default and removing Adblock plus and restoring a load of toolbars that are pain. despite crap cleaning, MSE and Spy Bot Search and Destroy and removal, but not sure what's causing it. Safe mode with networking and then combo fix?

Use Hiren's Boot CD or some similar tool that loads a virtual Windows/Linux, then run the various virus and malware software included.

I've got a parcel that needs posting today, but no sellotape. Will the post office fella sellotape it for me? Do I buy sellotape there? It's triggering my social anxiety a treat, the awkwardness of it.

Use Hiren's Boot CD or some similar tool that loads a virtual Windows/Linux, then run the various virus and malware software included.

I've got a parcel that needs posting today, but no sellotape. Will the post office fella sellotape it for me? Do I buy sellotape there? It's triggering my social anxiety a treat, the awkwardness of it.

No CD writer, to create a Hirens copy. Lent my last one out, never got it back, grr. Could load it on a usb thing though, would that work?

As for sellotape, it's a pain in the arse. you could ask, or get some cheapo brown tape from a pound shop if there is one near post office

My iPhone was bought on contract with Orange, I recently paid them to unlock it. I've just got the Email where they give me instructions on how to now do so. Basically, it involves connecting to iTunes and restoring the iPhone.

However when I plug it in, a message pops up saying "The SIM card inserted in this phone does not appear to be supported." Does this mean Orange haven't actually done anything yet? Or do I have to do something on the Orange end?

My Three Mobile SIM is with me - do I have to do anything with that?

This shouldn't be so fucking hard :(

There seems to be something wrong with my Xbox connection to my TV. I've had the console plugged in to a different TV for a while without problem, but now I've put it onto this other TV and it shows up like this:

2lxwe8o.jpg

It's connected via HDMI, but I've tried 2 other HDMI cables and the same thing is happening. However, my Blu Ray player works fine on this TV connected via HDMI, and the Xbox works fine on two other TVs, leading me to the conclusion that my TV and Xbox just don't like each other. Does anybody have any idea what could be going on here?

• Awards Moderator
Anyone known if i can store, access and edit an excel file from my android phone? If so, where?

SkyDrive.

EDIT: I just noticed you said Edit. You can't do that in SkyDrive yet (probably not ever, they want you to buy Office365). You can use Kingsoft or Polaris but they're both a bit meh. If mobile editing is essential, go for a Google Doc spreadsheet every time. Many times easier.

Archived