Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

boxing rolls on this weekend with this badboy:

EBA8CBA0-5FCF-40CD-B29A-2E5802630703.jpe

WBC Diamond Belt on the line between Garcia/Vargas.

Kal Yafai vs. Chocolatito Gonzalez

Julio Cesar Martinez vs. Jay Harris

Joseph Parker vs. Shawndell Winters

Good luck to the Brits over there.

Jay Harris' opponent is the guy who was beating up Charlie Edwards and got him DQ'ed. He fought for the vacant title and won it. He beat Cristofer Rosales who Edwards also lost to.

Hopefully Yafai has a breakout performance against Gonzalez. He's been a world champ now for 2 and a half years now and doesn't get the credit he deserves.

I wonder how much Matchroom have had to pay the WBC to make Garcia/Vargas a pseudo title fight. Both are not even ranked in the top 15 welterweights. Spence is the actual champ and I don't think he's vacated the belts after his car crash. I can see this is just an attempt to make Garcia a 5 weight world champion.

• Paid Members
On 2/26/2020 at 8:17 PM, Rossman said:

Hopefully Yafai has a breakout performance against Gonzalez. 

Rumors of Chocolatito's demise were greatly exaggerated. He destroyed Kal Yafai. That had to be pretty disheartening for Kal, he struggles at the weight by all accounts so he may move up and clean the slate but he was taken apart here.

Garcia/Vargas was good, after the 5th round you just sensed that Garcia had figured Vargas out. There was never indication that Vargas had the firepower to hurt Garcia either. Garcia's decision to stay at Welter and call out Crawford, Spence and Porter seens a strange decision though, he's a stubborn fucker.

Jay Harris was the MVP of the night! Even in defeat his stock went up massively against Martinez. I think most expected this to blowout but Harris went to war and survived against one of the hardest punchers at the weight. Hope Eddie signs him long term and keeps him around, twitter was nothing but praise for the guy.

• Paid Members

As much as I’d have liked to see Yafai win, I was happy to see Gonzalez put in a performance like that. I thought the talk of his decline was a load of shite anyway. He’s lost to one man twice in Rungvisai. He knocked out his next two opponents and he’s 32 years old. Hardly ready for the recliner chair and slippers. Combat sports fans and media are so quick to say a fighter is past it. It seems even more the case in Boxing as well. You can smash 50 opponents to bits but if you win your 51st fight by close decision, it’s not because the other guy did well, it’s because you’re on the decline, old or shit. Silly talk. 

And yeah, Martinez vs Harris was brilliant to watch. Jay Harris is granite tough and fought his bollocks off. The pictures of Harris floating around on social media yesterday were brutal though. Reminded me of that Billy Collins picture after Luis Resto bashed him with tampered gloves and Plaster of Paris. 

0EC3BA61-E761-4828-BC30-B3F52B2281A9.jpeg

FB9A1C2E-47C3-4909-8680-390E6E26A4D1.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Really hope Harris gets a deal with Matchroom after that, i know they are making move back into Wales this summer, would love to see Harris be a part of that.

If they didnt keep mentioning it during the broadcast you'd have thought Gonzalez was 40+ years old, he's just 2 years older than Yafai at 32. They were banging on like he was in with someone who could have been his dad. Bet there was some money made on Chocolatito (or Chocalito as Mackin constantly called him), he entered the ring a slight underdog Saturday night.

Joseph Parker threw his hat back in the heavyweight hat too. Feels abit like the forgotten man but he came back in exciting style. Winters was massively undersized but Parker was aggressive yet vunerable and it made for a fun fight. Id love to see him in with some of those other guys ranked 3-10.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Joseph Parker threw his hat back in the heavyweight hat too.

You can't beat a bit of double hat action on a Monday morning Eggers. Parker did look solid though. 

Joshua is going to fight Pulev at the new Tottenham stadium in June. I'm not really excited by that fight but he is IBF mandatory.