Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Just now, wandshogun09 said:

Reminded me of that Billy Collins picture after Luis Resto bashed him with tampered gloves and Plaster of Paris. 

I'm not the biggest boxing fan but have always been fascinated by the Billy Collins Jr story and the fight with Resto.  Absolutely tragic that Collins would lose his life less than a year after it took place.

The documentary 'Assault in the Ring' is up on YouTube and well worth a watch if anyone hasn't seen it or is interested in finding out more about that fight.

• Paid Members

Yeah that’s an incredible documentary. I’ve never actually seen the full fight, but the footage from that documentary stayed vivid in the memory long after I’d seen it. Tragic story but it’s a gripping watch.

I’ve actually got the official DVD of it somewhere. Think it was only released in America but I found it going fairly cheap on eBay years ago and bought it just because the extras sounded interesting. Think the full fight is included, there are a few extra interviews (think Teddy Atlas was one) and there was also a bit where another former opponent of Resto confronts him about whether he did the same thing in their fight.

It’s one of those ugly, dirty Boxing stories that I’ll keep revisiting every now and then despite knowing probably all there is to know about it by now. That moment when Collins’ dad goes to shake hands with Resto after the fight, grabs the glove and starts shouting ‘the padding’s outta the god damn gloves’ is nuts.

Oh and Panama Lewis comes off as the biggest dollop of human slime ever. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Whyte v Povetkin isn't PPV worthy is it? I certainly won't be paying. 

Chisora/Usyk will be on PPV too from what im hearing.

• Paid Members

With them so close together id love to have seen Whyte/Povetkin, Chisora/Usyk on the same show, that would have been PPV worthy.

Thing is, with heavyweight boxing booming now its probably gonna make things worse, these fighters are demanding big money and PPV is what helps generate it.

On 3/3/2020 at 6:38 AM, wandshogun09 said:

Oh and Panama Lewis comes off as the biggest dollop of human slime ever. 

You couldn't script a better villain. 

His goal of making it back to the big time hasn't worked out either. He's done fuck all since that documentary was made. 

12 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

sure i remember him being over a few years back cornering someome, cant recall the fight though? anyone?

At the time of the documentary he was working with Zab Judah. He continued to be linked with Judah in the years that followed.

Khan kicked up a fuss about his presence before he fought Judah in 2011 - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxing/amir-khan/8653295/Amir-Khans-camp-angered-that-banned-coach-Panama-Lewis-is-reportedly-around-Zab-Judah-camp.html

Other than that, I can't remember hearing much about him.