Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

The talk of Fury against past HW greats isn't really something I'm bothered with, but one guy does intrigue, simply because of styles making fights and all that: Nikolai Valuev. Very good technically, and was similar in size and reach to Fury. That could've been an interesting match.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Nikolai Valuev. Very good technically, and was similar in size and reach to Fury. That could've been an interesting match.

now that's a Japanese New Years Eve fight if there ever was one

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

now that's a Japanese New Years Eve fight if there ever was one

I get what you mean, but whilst there's definitely the spectacle to it, Valuev was a skilled boxer - a match between those two would've probably been the most skilled "freakshow" fight ever seen.

• Paid Members

i only ever saw Valuev twice, once when Haye just outworked him with his speed and the other was when an ancient Holyfield was robbed against him. Was he ever much cop?

• Paid Members

I kind of liked Valuev just because he looked like Pride-era Wanderlei Silva on stilts. But I can’t remember rating him. Just a big lug who got by on size. Fury would be way too fast and way too good for him. 

• Paid Members

I'm not saying he'd have beaten Fury, just that he was surprisingly technical for a guy his size, and seemed to be able to use his reach quite well. In terms of styles, I just think he'd have made for an interesting match-up with Fury - he couldn't be leaned on to be pushed back, Fury's reach and height were nullified as specific advantages, and he was canny enough as a boxer to utilise his jab, whilst letting fighters come to him instead of coming forward to get countered.

Given what we've seen of Fury's fight IQ, he'd have no doubt come up with a method to beat him. I don't know if he could've used Haye's method though.

17 hours ago, Carbomb said:

The talk of Fury against past HW greats isn't really something I'm bothered with, but one guy does intrigue, simply because of styles making fights and all that: Nikolai Valuev. Very good technically, and was similar in size and reach to Fury. That could've been an interesting match.

Fury would beat Valuev quite easily in my opinion.  I think he would be too slick for Valuev - who was a bit of a plodder if memory serves correctly.

Although it would be interesting to see Fury fight someone taller than himself. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

Fury would beat Valuev quite easily in my opinion.  I think he would be too slick for Valuev - who was a bit of a plodder if memory serves correctly.

Although it would be interesting to see Fury fight someone taller than himself. 

That was what I was trying to clarify in my last post - I think it's almost a given Fury would've won, outside the usual HW puncher's chance - that Valuev had sufficient technical skill to make his height and reach an interesting prospect for someone like Fury, as most fighters with giantism tended not to be much cop at all.

12 hours ago, Carbomb said:

That was what I was trying to clarify in my last post - I think it's almost a given Fury would've won, outside the usual HW puncher's chance - that Valuev had sufficient technical skill to make his height and reach an interesting prospect for someone like Fury, as most fighters with giantism tended not to be much cop at all.

There was speculation that the Klitschko brothers weren't overly keen on fighting Valuev. 

If true, it was probably due to the reasons you mentioned. 

Edited by jimufctna24

Boxing is so weird sometimes.  Joshua-Fury is the obvious big money match now, and it's quite possible we might not get it.   This is Austin-Hogan all over again ;)