Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

38 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I don't disagree with your assessment of AJ right at this point in time. The Bruno comparisons are always going to come because of his physique. It could be that Ruiz is is AJ's Bonecrusher Smith. Both AJ and Bruno had a similar amount of fights when they lost for the first time as well.

For me AJ is Bruno with more ability.

Nobody would really fancy Bruno to turn over Tyson in their two encounters, but surely AJ could beat any of today's champions if he avoids getting clipped?

6 minutes ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

Nobody would really fancy Bruno to turn over Tyson in their two encounters, but surely AJ could beat any of today's champions if he avoids getting clipped?

I've long held the opinion, even back when Fury was still out of boxing, that AJ would be handed a boxing lesson by Tyson Fury. I'd double down on that now with Fury looking as good as we've ever seen him. I'd even go as far as to say it would potentially be embarrassing in the end.

And there's no way AJ gets through a fight without Wilder clipping him. I'd fancy him to get stopped inside five rounds. 

5 minutes ago, David said:

I've long held the opinion, even back when Fury was still out of boxing, that AJ would be handed a boxing lesson by Tyson Fury. I'd double down on that now with Fury looking as good as we've ever seen him. I'd even go as far as to say it would potentially be embarrassing in the end.

And there's no way AJ gets through a fight without Wilder clipping him. I'd fancy him to get stopped inside five rounds. 

Hopefully we will all find out in the future. AJ's loss has added spice to the heavyweight division IMO.

i can see AJ bouncing back. I don't rate Wilder & he very nearly KO'ed The Gypsy (who i rate higher than Wilder). I think one thing we can all agree on is that when any of the "Big Four" meet (you have to include Ruiz Jr) it makes for numerous exciting bouts.

5 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Perhaps the only person who could box on anywhere near the level of Fury is Usyk. It remains to be seen though if he can take a punch at Heavyweight though. 

Yeah but Fury (as good as he is technically) is vulnerable.

Let's not forget he was one second off being yesterday's news, granted he is as hard as nails though.

50 minutes ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

Yeah but Fury (as good as he is technically) is vulnerable.

He's not that vulnerable really though, is he? I mean, he went the full 12 rounds with Wilder and avoided everything the guy had to offer save for one shot. In fact, even with that knock down and the 10-9 round it became in my opinion, he still should have gotten then nod from the judges.

Fury's vulnerability comes from him being a bit of a dafty now and then. He tries to be too smart and ends up getting smacked in the face, but he's managed to pretty much remove that from his game of late.

• Paid Members

I think sometimes the thinking that Fury is vulnerable is hangover from the earlier days when he was getting dropped by fat fucks on Channel 5 and stuff. He’s improved a ton since then though. Aside from the Wilder fight, he hasn’t been in any trouble in any fight in what’s got to be close to a decade now. Fury getting decked by Wilder, I don’t think that makes him any more vulnerable than anyone else. Considering Wilder has put everyone else away who he’s nailed with a shot like that, and Fury got up, I think he’s fine in general. He’s got better defence for me than any other heavyweight in the game. He doesn’t get hit clean often at all. He’s either out of range or he’s rolling with shots or deflecting them to take a lot of the power out of it. 

While we’re on about Fury vs Wilder, I was watching a bit of the Joe Rogan podcast with Andy Ruiz the other day and Rogan was being clueless again. He said something like ‘that Fury fight put Wilder on the map’. Sure it was the biggest fight he’s been in so far so it probably got more attention. But I don’t think he meant it in that way. He seems to have adopted that goofy opinion that a lot of Americans have, that Wilder looked good and actually should’ve won the fight because of the knockdowns. Like scoring 2 knockdowns wins you a fight where you lost the other 10 of the 12 rounds. It’s only ever Americans I hear spouting this bollocks. Even with the knockdowns it’s a clear Fury win. I had it 116-110 for Fury. Yet to hear some Yanks either the draw was just or Wilder should’ve got the decision. Bonkers. 

I honestly think that if they fight again as has been suggested early next year, Fury stops him. I think the Fury we saw against Tom Schwarz will be fit enough to take it up a notch against Wilder. I know Schwarz isn't a world class fighter by any stretch, but the way Fury put him away so effortlessly was a bit of an eye-opener for me. I had Fury to win it for sure, but figured he'd outbox Schwarz for the points win or get a late stoppage. A 2nd round stoppage in the manner that he managed it? I didn't see that coming.

In the first fight there was times when Wilder was clearly labouring and Fury simply wasn't fit enough by the looks of it to take full advantage. If he shows up in the same shape and with the same mindset that he did against Schwarz I think he'll be able to crank up the heat.

Another impressive workout against Otto Wallin in September will be his 5th fight in 15 months. That's an average of a fight every three months. It's insane to think that just under a year ago he was gearing up for his 2nd fight back against Francesco Pianeta in Belfast on the Frampton undercard and people were still questioning his future.

He's putting money and US exposure in the bank at the moment, and it all leads to a big fight with Wilder next year by the looks of it. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, David said:

I think AJ is a decent fighter, but he's been hyped up to fuck because he's British and he's had the Sky promotional machine behind him. I've said for years, his record has been carefully cultivated (well, as carefully cultivated as can be in boxing), which isn't a criticism of Hearn or AJ, because that's the name of the game in professional sports, especially combat sports. Only complete fucking dimwits choose to go out there and get their brain rattled more than they have to.

He's taken the big fights when he's had to, and he's faced some well-chosen opposition to make him look the part as well. We're seeing Fury doing the same thing.

I dont agree with that, AJ hasnt boxed anyone close to the low level of the Fury's last two opponents since he first won a World Title. AJ won a title and fought these on the bounce...Breazeale, Molina, Klitschko, Takam (was meant to be Pulev), Parker and Povetkin. There's a pretty steady increase (or slight decrease) in level of opponents there and its all proven opposition. Fury reached the pinnacle then went back to fighting nobodies, no one can accuse AJ of doing the same. Otto Wallin is ranked 48th in the world according to boxrec.

Fury's literally taking gimme fights, i understand the need to build his name in America but the last show tanked at the box office, his performance may draw more people in because it was impressive but theres a good chance they wont care because the opponent is terrible. It may be seen as a warm up for Wilder but this fight is a joke.

On 7/31/2019 at 5:40 AM, jimufctna24 said:

Warren's video has since been taken down. 

Perhaps Eddie put a call in. 

heres the latest Frank interview, Jimufctna24 you were correct. They had to take the last Warren interview down as they recieved a soliciters letter. He still gets going about it here though towards the end.

12 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Fury's literally taking gimme fights, i understand the need to build his name in America but the last show tanked at the box office, his performance may draw more people in because it was impressive but theres a good chance they wont care because the opponent is terrible. It may be seen as a warm up for Wilder but this fight is a joke.

Fury is still just over a year into a comeback from a stage in his life where he's actually lucky to be alive. The fact he's even boxing at all is incredible when you look at the shape he was in both physically and mentally not that long ago. I think his recent success has made people forget that fact. 

It was only last April where Fury held the press conference announcing he'd signed with Frank Warren, wasn't it? 

While he's in the mix simply because of his incredible boxing ability and that performance against Wilder (which no one believed was possible), no one should really be comparing where he is at the moment to someone who's been fighting continuously with a fairly clean bill of health for years now. Despite his performance against Wilder, Fury is still just over a year into his comeback from seriously mental and physical issues. Anyone who looks at the difference in his body shape and how he moves from the fight with Seferi to his recent bout with Schwarz can see that it's night & day. He's still working back to proper in-ring fitness.

The Wilder fight kind of skews his comeback a little, because some fans saw him do really well there and forget the issues he's had, and still has, and simply assume he's at his best and should be fighting top guys. In a way, Fury's own boxing ability has worked against him there. If he'd been stopped in the 7th for example, fans would have been saying he took that fight too soon, that he needs to slow down his comeback and make sure he's right both mental and physically and so on.

At this stage it's all about activity for him, getting in there and boxing. It's also about seeing if he can regularly put himself through the rigours of a training camp from a mental and physical standpoint. He's mentioned that a few times, saying that actually going through the monotonous training camps is mentally taxing. If you take the Wilder fight out of the equation, he's where he should be at this stage. 

It's also worth pointing out that since he fought Seferi in June of 2018, he'll have fought five times in 15 months when he faces Otto. In the same timeframe Joshua has fought twice, and Wilder also twice, which is about right for guys with title belts. 

For Fury it's all about getting in the ring time and going through the camps to see where he is mentally. He can't do that while facing top level guys every three months, it's just not possible. 

The fact his Wilder performance is allowing him to make his comeback while making the dough he's making is a fantastic bonus for him, and hopefully if he does decide at any point in the next year or two that the pressures of training or whatever are too much for him mentally he'll feel financially secure enough to walk away.

In fact, I honestly believe he'll call it a day at the conclusion of his current ESPN deal. While he's shown great resilience in getting back to where he is now, boxing is a tough sport, especially when you're prone to the issues Fury is. He'll make his money, he'll more than likely beat Wilder in a rematch and claim his World Title back, then maybe make a few defences before walking away with his mental and physical health intact and his bank account healthy.

I also see that Ruiz has replied when asked where the rematch is going to take place with Joshua that "it’s not gonna be over there." Be interesting to see how that plays out.

• Paid Members

Yeh, if Fury had gone from Seferi to Schwarz then Wallin we wouldnt be having this dicussion, fact is he nearly defeated Deontay Wilder (and did according to most) set the division on fire then went backwards. It wouldnt be so bad if he'd set up fights that fans could get behind, Jarrell Miller for AJ for example was something people could get behind, Wilder/Breazeale had heat behind it too. This is a weird showcase fight that isnt really needed.

We've already seen what waiting around at heavyweight can lead too. If Fury stinks the joint out against Wallin, and lets be honest he could, for as entertaining the Schwarz blow out was, Fury's only ever had around 3-4 fan pleasing fights in his career...and then Ortiz beats Wilder, we'll either have Wilder/Ortiz 3 early in 2020 or have Fury/Ortiz fight which has an ounce of the buzz and intrigue that Wilder/Fury 2 would have now. 

As for Ruiz. I still feel the fight happens in Cardiff in December. Ruiz seems to be having fun with social media but i see the fight happening here. I am concerned that Ruiz could do a Buster Douglas and take his eyes of the ball though.