Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

6 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Yeh, if Fury had gone from Seferi to Schwarz then Wallin we wouldnt be having this dicussion, fact is he nearly defeated Deontay Wilder (and did according to most) set the division on fire then went backwards. It wouldnt be so bad if he'd set up fights that fans could get behind, Jarrell Miller for AJ for example was something people could get behind, Wilder/Breazeale had heat behind it too. This is a weird showcase fight that isnt really needed.

Fury wanted Miller, that was his first choice of opponent but the truth is it's hard to find fighters at the top level who'll take a fight in late July and step into the Ring in September. Like I said, he's fighting every three months at the moment on average, which is pretty insane. It's all about getting the ring time though, and ironing out the wrinkles so he's at his utmost when he faces Wilder again.

10 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

We've already seen what waiting around at heavyweight can lead too. If Fury stinks the joint out against Wallin, and lets be honest he could, for as entertaining the Schwarz blow out was, Fury's only ever had around 3-4 fan pleasing fights in his career...and then Ortiz beats Wilder, we'll either have Wilder/Ortiz 3 early in 2020 or have Fury/Ortiz fight which has an ounce of the buzz and intrigue that Wilder/Fury 2 would have now. 

That's the risk you take though, isn't it? The options for Fury are to sit on the sidelines and wait for Wilder, which won't do him any good considering he's still on the comeback trail, or he takes a fight against someone who's willing to step up on relatively short notice.

• Paid Members

It is the risk you take, but i think fans appreciate it when a fighter steps up and takes a tough challenge whilst waiting. Have you seen any positivity with regards to Fury's fight with Otto Wallin? i haven't. People know its a joke and it'll get treated as one. 

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

It is the risk you take, but i think fans appreciate it when a fighter steps up and takes a tough challenge whilst waiting. Have you seen any positivity with regards to Fury's fight with Otto Wallin? i haven't. People know its a joke and it'll get treated as one. 

Again, Fury has said he wanted Miller. There's very few top ranked heavyweight's who will pick up the phone in late July and fight in September, it's not long enough for them to prepare it seems.

There's not much Fury can do if he wants to stay active.

• Paid Members

Im fairly certain if they really wanted too they could have gotten a heavyweight ranked higher than 48th in the world to step in on 8 weeks notice.

Andy Ruiz was ranked somewhere in the top 15 when he stepped in to fight AJ on a months notice and you tore that to shreds Dave. Why dont you give Tyson the same treatment?

40 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Andy Ruiz was ranked somewhere in the top 15 when he stepped in to fight AJ on a months notice and you tore that to shreds Dave. Why dont you give Tyson the same treatment?

Because Tyson Fury isn't the Heavyweight Champion of the World. I expect more from the guys who hold the belts than I do from guys who are a year into their comeback from mental health issues. 

If Fury fights and beats Wilder for the title then fights chumps I'll voice my concerns. At the moment he's fighting guys to stay active and get some rounds in before he faces Wilder at the start of next year. As I mentioned earlier, if he was any normal top ranked heavyweight he'd likely sit out until the Wilder fight but he's clearly needing the rounds, so he's staying busy. Nowt wrong with that, is there? He's not defending a title against the fella. 

If Joshua announced tomorrow that he was facing someone like Otto next I'd be more understanding of such a move considering where he is at the moment. I wouldn't blame him for wanting to come back from a loss and get some rounds in, try a few different things or whatever before stepping back up. He's not champion now, so I don't expect him to face top contenders constantly.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, David said:

Because Tyson Fury isn't the Heavyweight Champion of the World. I expect more from the guys who hold the belts than I do from guys who are a year into their comeback from mental health issues. 

Fury himself has said he doesn't care about the belts though David. He also says he is the lineal champion. 

Let's face it boxing world titles have the credibility of wrestling ones these days. 

Just now, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Fury himself has said he doesn't care about the belts though David.

Good for him. I do, and many other boxing fans do. When someone is fighting for a world title I like to see it being someone who's a top ranked contender.

1 minute ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

He also says he is the lineal champion.

He is (I think), but that's a promotional tool more than anything else.

1 minute ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Let's face it boxing world titles have the credibility of wrestling ones these days. 

Not in my opinion. Just because there's a lot of titles out there and the alphabet organisations are stinking up the sport doesn't mean I can't recognise the heavyweight champion of the world and expect him to face the best competition.

• Paid Members

i hate the Lineal Champion schpiel as much as anyone, but if you are gonna promote yourself as that, if your promotional team are going to promote you as that, you have to at least fight credible opposition to back it up. 

Ebb, he's soon going to have fought five fucking times in 15 months. You want him facing credible opposition every three months? Are you insane? He's facing Otto to get more rounds in, what about that don't you understand? He's not defending a title, he's staying active. 

He could easily have sat out until the Wilder fight and no one would have blinked an eye, but because he wants to stay active he's somehow to blame? He's also said that he wanted Miller, but it couldn't happen, and that there was a few other mid-level fighters he asked for who simply weren't interested at such short notice. 

It's easy for you to say "well, he could have gotten someone more credible because AJ did" but there's two things you're missing here. He's not offering a shot at the heavyweight title, and he's not offering the same kind of money that AJ's opponent was getting.

If you don't like the fight, don't fucking watch it. No one is putting a gun to your head. Save your pennies until AJ faces Ruiz again.

1 hour ago, David said:

Ebb, he's soon going to have fought five fucking times in 15 months. You want him facing credible opposition every three months? Are you insane? He's facing Otto to get more rounds in, what about that don't you understand? He's not defending a title, he's staying active. 

You also have to factor in what losing to Fury will do for top contenders.  They'll probably miss out on a bumper pay day if they lost to a non belt holder while in the queue for a belt holder to fight.

12 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

You also have to factor in what losing to Fury will do for top contenders.  They'll probably miss out on a bumper pay day if they lost to a non belt holder while in the queue for a belt holder to fight.

Exactly. These top level heavyweights are fighting two or three times a year maximum usually, and they're planning their career out years in advance, so they're not gonna agree to face Tyson Fury with a month or two's notice. 

Fury's a bit of an anomaly at the moment, because although his fight with Wilder has established him once again as a top player (and the #1 ranked fighter according to Ring Magazine) he's still pretty fresh off his comeback and is still needing tune up fights.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, David said:

Just reading online that he has another date pencilled in after this one, so id best get used to the feeling.

5 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Just reading online that he has another date pencilled in after this one, so id best get used to the feeling.

You know the best thing about it all? These fights with relatively unknown fighters all fall under his huge ESPN contract, so he's effectively being paid over £10 million to fight guys like Otto. 

If that's not genius, then I don't know what is!