*Official* Youtube.com cool finds thread

quote the raven

• Paid Members

Shortly after my youngest sister was born, I came home from school to my mum saying she had a treat for me. She handed me a VHS tape which had the last half hour of WCW Worldwide, having been up all night with the baby, she'd spotted that some wrestling was on.

All I can remember was Van Hammer wrestling someone but I spent hours trying to faff around with Video + (anyone else remember that?) trying to put in the codes so it would record Worldwide for me the following week. 

(On an unrelated note, can you imagine an athetics meet on Prime Time Friday night ITV1 these days?!)

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

I only ever remember WCW being on Saturday afternoons on ITV. I know now it was on late at night as well but as a kid I just thought it was Saturday at about 3pm. Was it on at different times in different regions of the UK? 

18 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I only ever remember WCW being on Saturday afternoons on ITV. I know now it was on late at night as well but as a kid I just thought it was Saturday at about 3pm. Was it on at different times in different regions of the UK? 

1991-1992 it was on in the early hours on Saturday [I think]. Not sure of the time,
It then came to Saturday afternoons in 1993.

The glimpses I have of ITV afternoon WCW is Rick Rude doing his comedy spot where his back's so hurt his hip swivel gives him spasms, Johnny B Badd, and a match I might've dreamt where Sting vs Vader went to 'Sudden Death' and the first one whose knee touched the mat lost. I vividly remember a spot where Sting stumbled and fell into the corner and the commentators panicking about whether his knee had touched or not. But I can't find evidence of this actually happening anywhere.

2 hours ago, garynysmon said:

I love shit like this. As unprofessional an environment as it was, still entertaining as hell.

Yeah this is brilliant. I watched the whole thing and thought 'Its guys being allowed to say what they want. Its not perfect but its real, theres genuine emotion there....and look how cool it looked..  and look how into it the crowd was'. 

I never thought I would fall out of love with wrestling but I dont find myself watching much stuff fom the past 18 months or so because it lacks any verisimilitude, any semblance of spontaneity and genuine emotion.

Obviously there are exceptions but I would struggle to watch 30 minutes straight of modern stuff yet I watched that whole video, loved every bit of it and wanted to watch more of it.

I genuinely miss how wrestling was sometimes. 

7 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Yeah this is brilliant. I watched the whole thing and thought 'Its guys being allowed to say what they want. Its not perfect but its real, theres genuine emotion there....and look how cool it looked..  and look how into it the crowd was'. 

I never thought I would fall out of love with wrestling but I dont find myself watching much stuff fom the past 18 months or so because it lacks any verisimilitude, any semblance of spontaneity and genuine emotion.

Obviously there are exceptions but I would struggle to watch 30 minutes straight of modern stuff yet I watched that whole video, loved every bit of it and wanted to watch more of it.

I genuinely miss how wrestling was sometimes. 

Absolutely how I feel about the golden era and the current sterile cookie cutter era. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, IronSheik said:

Absolutely how I feel about the golden era and the current sterile cookie cutter era. 

Sterile would be pretty accurate I suppose. Wrestling's presentation wasn't designed to be so crisp and shiny with everyone looking so perfect, its kind of lost its charm in a way.

Even watching a lot of matches these days, the moves are executed a little too perfectly and with too much obvious choreography (from the 'victim') for a lot of the high spots.

Edited by garynysmon

1 hour ago, garynysmon said:

Sterile would be pretty accurate I suppose. Wrestling's presentation wasn't designed to be so crisp and shiny with everyone looking so perfect, its kind of lost its charm in a way.

Even watching a lot of matches these days, the moves are executed a little too perfectly and with too much obvious choreography (from the 'victim') for a lot of the high spots.

It's absolutely lost almost everything that made me a fan and modern audiences that grew up on this kind of wrestling think this is how it's meant to be.

Every match is meant to be a competitive / great match [see Omega v scrub from AEW last week and the comments from fans AND wrestlers who defended it]

The mentality that 'it's all a show, and everyone knows that so why even try to make it real? In fact, you're insulting my intelligence by trying to portray it as real.'

Audiences are quieter on the whole because they are too busy looking at how perfect everything is [or isnt] and what star rating they are going to give the match, instead of just losing themselves in the action and enjoying it. In fact, if you do that you're a stupid mark. 

I keep hearing how wrestling has 'evolved' and is 'better' now. If that's true then leave me with the de-evolved shitty wrestling from the 80s/90s/00s because its 'evolved' and 'improved' far beyond my general enjoyment. 

One of the most revealing things in that clip is early on, when Nash mentions he'd been in the business 7 years by that point. Just 7 years?? Scott Hall had been around 12 years by 1996. I've not had any success Googling how long some current WWE stars have been on the main roster (disregarding developmental as the business has changed and guys as physically gifted as Big Sexy seem hard to find), but fuck me, I bet there's some crazy comparisons to be made there.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

I knew the vets would have been around then; I was looking to compare where Nash was at in his career in 1996 to where a current WWE wrestler is at, not just in terms of status, but character, charisma, promo and, sure, ring work.

He'd had three years of being around Shawn Michaels and Scott Hall 24/7 and working almost constantly with those two, Bret and Taker. You can't buy an education like that and you can't teach it.

It doesn't exist anymore. The veterans on the WWE roster now didn't come up that way. They're not all just robots who do what they're told but they're certainly not coming up with their own ideas constantly and trying them out. That's all lost. 

It's not surprising the current guys pit so much into polishing in the ring, it's the only bit they have real control of.