DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Paid Members

a group of my friends went to see A History of Violence and they all said it was terrible, i kinda expected it, cause it is after-all a David Cronenberg movie...im still to see it, ill prob wait till it comes out on dvd now, im looking forward to it.thing is with a Cronenberg movie your always gonna get split opnions, the guy doesnt make conventional movies...i read an interview with him and he mentions being at a preview showing of Existenz, and at the end many critics and film bigwigs booed and said it was awfu, Cronenberg laughed and said 'i dont care if they hated it, its my movie and i aint changing a single scene'...guess it's that kinda attitude which has cause Cronenberg one of the most respected and innovative directors in film.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to see The Corpse Bride yesterday. A good film, but too short really with a 75-minutes duration. A good voice cast, many funny moments, enjoyable songs throughout, and an entertaining story. Worth going to see, but before you know it the film has finished! (***)

• Paid Members

So I finally got round to watching Jersey Girl and I was very, very impressed.

It's a huge step away from all the other Smith flicks but the charm, brilliant dialogue and humour remains. There's some touching moments, some funny moments and if it wasn't for Lopez's involvement this could and probably should have got more respect than it did. The kid is great in it too. Children acting without it coming across as either creepy or annoying is very rare in my opinion but this kid pulls it off. The Will Smith cameo was an enjoyable surprise, as was the usual Smith flick cameos - Jason Lee in particular, because he rules hard in everything.

You know what the best part is though? I know just from experience in the past that Affleck's going to be hilarious on the commentary track. For all the shit he gets in the media Affleck proves time and time again on commentary tracks and in interviews (usually featured on View Askew DVDs) that's he's a frigging hilarious guy in real life.

Thumbs up. Fuck Jennifer Lopez. I enjoyed watching her die.

Edited by ELsupremo

• Paid Members

yeh, Jersey Girl is indeed a great movie...it's not the kinda thing i usually go for, but the film avoids the cheese that usually goes with movies like this, and i aint afraid to admit i actually cried at the end too, a kinda happy-ending cry :)

i watched Sahara - tripe...this film is kinda entertaining, but the storyline is so stupid and un-realistic it just makes for a crappy film. It's like a poor-mans Indiana Jones movie, however lacking a great character and never as funny as it could have been. I guess it would appeal to a young audience.

I watched American History X on Film Four last night. I've seen bits of it before, and it looked so I thought I'd try watching it all. Pretty good film, really explores the physce of racists and white nationalists in an unbiased way. However, as much as they try and rationalise; from their actions we can still tell that what they are doing is wrong, despite how much they glorify what they do. The ending was a bit of a shock, and I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it (you really should try and see this next time it's on though).

• Paid Members

Wallace And Gromit - The Curse Of The Were-RabbitNot bad, but nothing special. Empire magazine gave this a full five stars, which I just cannot understand.

I agree with you there brah. Everybody I've seen, and even on IMDB.com, has given it a high mark. I don't understand this.

Wallace And Gromit - The Curse Of The Were-RabbitNot bad, but nothing special. Empire magazine gave this a full five stars, which I just cannot understand.

I agree with you there brah. Everybody I've seen, and even on IMDB.com, has given it a high mark. I don't understand this.
Maybe because it is one of the better films this year, and caters for all ages (entertaining for both adults and children)?

You know what the best part is though? I know just from experience in the past that Affleck's going to be hilarious on the commentary track. For all the shit he gets in the media Affleck proves time and time again on commentary tracks and in interviews (usually featured on View Askew DVDs) that's he's a frigging hilarious guy in real life.

You have predicted correctly. Excellent as usual, but that reminded me of Smith's comments when the film first got released on dvd. He said they rushed this one out but they are going to get to work on a Special Edition dvd with more extras very soon. That was ages ago. With that and "An Evening With Kevin Smith 2" seemingly forgotten by View Askew I'm disappointed.But the fact that it's Clerks 2 that's probably holding up the process makes it seem less important.So yeah, Affleck :tilde: :thumbsup:

• Moderators

You have predicted correctly. Excellent as usual, but that reminded me of Smith's comments when the film first got released on dvd. He said they rushed this one out but they are going to get to work on a Special Edition dvd with more extras very soon. That was ages ago. With that and "An Evening With Kevin Smith 2" seemingly forgotten by View Askew I'm disappointed.But the fact that it's Clerks 2 that's probably holding up the process makes it seem less important.So yeah, Affleck :tilde: :thumbsup:
I'm not up on all the Smith stuff, but I always thought Affleck came across as an awesome guy on the HBO Project Greenlight show.

Guest rage against the wwe

I have watched quite a lot of dvds during my month or two away from my pc.Be Cool : Quite enjoyable. The rock & Vince Vuaghn were bloody hilarious in it.Transformers Seasons 1,2,3 & 4: I bought these from play.com as well. Very watchable still at the age of 21. Transformers is still better than a load of the shit on tv & the most of the stuff they show kids today. Starscream~Starsky & Hutch ( the movie) : Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn & Owen Wilson are pretty funny in it. Not bad film.ECW One Night Stand : holy shit WWE really let Heyman pull off the show that is so authentically like ECW. Top Notch :thumbsup: Kung Fu 1st Season : Watched some of it. Brilliant stuff. ok storylining & very good acting from David Carradine. :) Family Guy season 2: More or less pissed myself laughing :D:thumbsup: I bought all them good old play.com. & Have Lost Season 1 Part 1 on pre-order & I'm looking forward to that. :D;) Bollocks I still havent watch the Korean film Brotherhood :(

• Paid Members

After finishing the entire first season of Lost I think I can safely say it's my new favourite TV show of all time.

SPOILER
While I worry they'll reach a point in a couple of season's time where everyone tires of the mysteries and the show gets cancelled without everything getting resolved (much like those bloody kids never getting home on Dungeons and Dragons) but for now I'm hooked. Oh so very hooked. Now if only I could get my head around torrents and sort out some season two episodes.....
Edited by ELsupremo

• Paid Members

show gets cancelled without everything getting resolved (much like those bloody kids never getting home on Dungeons and Dragons)

I'm still gutted about that.Seen "Cabin Fever" on VHS last night. Just basic amateurish horror shit. The wee kid with the long, girly hair who keeps on biting people whilst shouting "PANCAKES" was rather strange. Well out there man.Just seems to me like straight to video/DVD film fare. Did this ever get a theatrical release? I remember people saying it was tremendous, they must have been smoking the old wacky-backy.

• Paid Members

show gets cancelled without everything getting resolved (much like those bloody kids never getting home on Dungeons and Dragons)

I'm still gutted about that.
SPOILER
Imagine if they keep pushing the mysteries for a couple more seasons on Lost only for it to get cancelled without everything getting explained. I already know a fair few people who aren't happy that everything wasn't resolved in the first season.It'd be like Dungeons and Dragons to the power of a million if that show got cancelled without ending properly.
Edited by ELsupremo