DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

I recently sat down with my parents and watched One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest which my dad has spent the last god knows how long telling me I should do so...

I did that when I was 14. Oh, and my dad made me watch Yellow Submarine when I was 7. Can't sleep, meanies'll eat me :(

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darkness

Darkness is an interesting film with an interesting haunted house story, and is reminiscent of the Amityville Horror. There is good acting from Anna Paquin throughout, and a few nice twists. The film also has an entertaining final 15-minutes or so, leading into a poor/weak ending though. Darkness is too short really at 80-minutes, and is not scary, has no real tension, and not all that creepy for a horror movie. There are also a lot of questions left unanswered by the end. An acceptable film to watch if there is nothing else, but not a film I could recommend. (*1/2)

Violent Cop

A very good film on the whole, which takes about 30-minutes to really get going, but is very good thereafter. Takeshi Kitano is great as usual playing a cop who doesn

Be cool.Everyone told me to avoid this movie, but i found it quite fun, had some good humour, but the plot was a little confusing.Vince Vaughn was awesome in this, very funny! :laugh:

Sonatine

A great film, with an interesting story and a good mix of violence and humour. It is a violent and bloody film, but as usual with a Takeshi Kitano film the added humour seems to complement the violence very well. The movie also has a good end few minutes, which lead into a strange yet interesting ending. Takeshi Kitano is great yet again (as he is in all of the films he stars in), and he really seems to help to make the film as good as it is! Sonatine is better than Boiling Point and Violent Cop, and as good as (and maybe even better than) Brother. An easy recommendation for fans of Takeshi Kitano, and really worthwhile viewing for anyone who want to see what Kitano

Lord Of War

Let's start off on a shocking note. I was wrong. Last week I proclaimed 'Four Brothers' as "easily the worst film of the year". And I was wrong.

Very wrong.

Lord Of War stars Nicholas Cage, Jared Leto, Ian Holm, Bridget Moynahan, Ethan Hawke and Oz's Eamonn Walker. It tells the story of Yuri Orlov (Cage), born in the Ukraine but raised in Brooklyn, he has yet to really carve out a nich

Edited by Mr. Seven

Be cool.Everyone told me to avoid this movie, but i found it quite fun, had some good humour, but the plot was a little confusing.Vince Vaughn was awesome in this, very funny! :laugh:

I thought this was good too though everyone I know hated Get Shorty too which I loved.When Im up to date with ROH im taking a break and watching some films. I just aquiredSin City The Longest Yard (While flickin through did I see Kurt Angle ?)Thoughts on these two ?And I have just rented Dr Strangelove from the local Library. Lets hope its not scratched to fuck so I can rip it as I love this movie. Kubricks best after The Killing.

• Paid Members

Sin City is awesome. The Longest Yard is not. It starts off pretty funny but has too many serious moments and not enough humour. And the end Football game is exactly the same as the one in The Waterboy with all the jokes taken out.

The Fog (1980)A good film, with some good acting and good special effects. It also has an interesting story, some good tension, a few good jumpy moments to the film, and a soundtrack that fits the mood of the movie. It is a little short at just over 80-minutes, but is still worth watching. Fans of John Carpenter should find The Fog good, while non-fans should still enjoy the film. With a remake being released in the UK early next year (staring Tom Welling(Smallville), Maggie Grace(Lost, Oliver Beene), and Selma Blair(Hellboy, Cruel Intentions)), it is worth watching the original to see which is the better film.Some good extras on the 2-disc special edition DVD, including a couple of interesting documentaries (an 8-minute long 1980 documentary and a 28-minute long 2002 documentary), a commentary by John Carpenter and Debra Hill, a storyboard-to-film comparison, outtakes, and some trailers. (***)

When Im up to date with ROH im taking a break and watching some films.  I just aquiredSin City  The Longest Yard (While flickin through did I see Kurt Angle ?)Thoughts on these two ?

Sin City is great and easily one of the best films this year.

I went to see Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit a couple of hours ago. It is a daft but very good film, with enough in it for both adults and children to enjoy. Great fun, clever, and above all else funny for most of the duration. (***1/2)

• Awards Moderator

I nearly snorted myself to death during Wallace & Gromit, more packed in with jokes from every angle than any comedy film I can remember for a long time. The Plant Suite, Dogwarts, Bright Eyes, all top-quality gags.

• Paid Members

I went to my local car-boot sale and I managed to pick up a very rare VHS called "Number One" with Bob Geldof. :(Heres what Sendit.com says..

Bob Geldof stars as a man trying to survive in the world of snooker halls, small-time crooks, hookers and corrupt cops. Mel Smith appears as a crooked bookie who helps him to the top in the big-time snooker circuit.

Mel Smith is actually quite good in it as he's playing the heel bookie and I've never seen him play such a dark character. Geldof's mumbling becomes tiresome after a while but the comic relief happens when Geldof does the hot sex scene with some chick. It rivals Hogan's from "No Holds Barred" it really does. Hes just on top of the chick and thrusting up and down. Scary stuff. Has Phil Daniels and Ray Winstone in it it. Mildy recommended. You'll never find it though.

Napolean Dynamite - Very good if you pretend it isn't a comedy.Team America, World Police - Fucking awesomeClerks - Very very awesome.Sin City - Wow. Just fucking wow. Sexy in every way.Top 100s are a bit much, but why don't we try to come up with a UKFF top 30 films of ALL~! time?

The Howling

An entertaining film, which starts of as a serial killer movie (for the first 30-minutes or so), and then moves into a werewolf movie. It has an interesting story, very good special effects (impressive since the film was made in 1981), capable actors (Patrick Macnee, Dee Wallace, Robert Picardo), good acting, and a good director (Joe Dante). It is not without it problems though, as a lot of the action takes place in the last 15-minutes or so, it is pretty predictable, it is somewhat short at 84-minutes, and some things are left un-explained by the end. It is worth watching if you are a fan of werewolf films, but American Werewolf in London is a better film on the whole. (***)