DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Awards Moderator

Downfall.A German film about Hitler's last days. It's one of the best films of the year, and I'd reccommend it to everyone. Bruno Ganz's performance is nothing short of brilliant.

According to the new trailer, this is to be shown on C4's new channel.I re-watched Ocean's 11 last night to remind me how good this was after the eye-ripping out nauseum of the sequel.Clooney and Pitt are simply awesome together though.

Wolf Creek - I really liked it, very tense.

Outside of the last 15-minutes of action and gore, I found the film to be very poor. No scares or tension at all in film and basic acting as well!

Land Of The Dead - Loved the original trilogy, and the Dawn remake. I liked this movie, though i think they should have left more gore in and slapped an 18 certificate on it.

I agree with the 18-cert bit, there seemed to be a fair amount of stuff cut to get a lower rating. Entertaining, but the story never seemed to go anywhere!

A History Of Violence - Saw this new Viggo Mortensen/Cronenberg film tonight, good film. Nice use of gore as well. Ed Harris is always good value.

The action wasn't bad, the rest of the film was poor. The acting was acceptable, but the story was very basic (nothing seemed to be explained), and the endign seemed abrupt. Edited by DJM

Napoleon Dynamite

A mildly entertaining film, which was too slow and just not as funny as it should have been. The characters were not interesting (and most were one-dimensional), and the acting was as basic as you can get. The film is very random and tries to be something different, but in the end the story seems to go nowhere and it is pretty dull for the most part. (**)

• Paid Members

Napoleon DynamiteA mildly entertaining film, which was too slow and just not as funny as it should have been. The characters were not interesting (and most were one-dimensional), and the acting was as basic as you can get. The film is very random and tries to be something different, but in the end the story seems to go nowhere and it is pretty dull for the most part. (**)

Here Here!!!Most overrated comedy ever.

Guest KANO_THE_MYSTIC

So last night was my lame fast (I didnt think of the name until writing it there) where my sister gave me 2 DVDs to watch , Juwana Mann and Just MarriedJuwana Mann - The tale about a guy thats banned indefinetly so cooks up a scheme to dress as a female and become a female Basketball player , The jokes were very obvious eg Taking a shower with the rest of the team , However there was a lack at all of any star but the acting for what its worth was quite good the lead (juwana) was the guy thats often typecast as a rasta street fighter and scooby doo haha but I think he pulled it of .... To some it up bad comedy , has a charm to it althoughJust Married - Tripe with ashton kutcher ..... Nuff said

Can't believe I only just noticed this thread.

I tend to watch loads of films at the cinema and on DVD so i'll just go over what i've seen in the past week.

Land of the Dead: It was ok, though I much preferred Dawn of the Dead. I'm never really a fan of the sort of 'post apocalyptic' film where everything is set in darkness for the most part and is quite grim. It also seemed to lack something - the plot just wasn't strong. I'll give it **

Coach Carter: I tend to enjoy sports films, even if they aren't very good, but this was good. The plot was a bit different from the average sports film, and it doesn't have the predictable ending that you'd expect. For this, i'll say ***

Suspicion: Now I'm a huge Hitchcock fan, and generally love classic old films, but this was a surprisingly weak effort from Hitchcock. It took too long to get started (the first half hour of a 90 minute film having no real relevance to the final hour made no sense) and was just quite weak really. Basically it's about a newly married woman who is suspicious that her husband wants to kill her. But of course, he doesn't really. Not one i'd watch again in a hurry. **1/2

Goal!: Again, I love sports films, and I tend to love football films, and this is no exception. The actual footballers in this film were cringe-makingly awful actors, but then what do you expect really. I enjoyed it overall though and would recommend any football fan sees it. ***1/2

Overall, the top 10 films I've seen on the cinema this year are...

1. Hotel Rwanda

2. Revenge of the Sith

3. Crash

4. Sin City

5. In Good Company

6. Downfall

7. Fantastic Four

8. Harold and Kumar Get The Munchies

9. Closer

10. Million Dollar Baby

An honourable mention though goes to The Spongebob Squarepants Movie. I hadn't actually ever seen it before, but my best mate is a big fan, so we went along and I was in stitches. Really funny film.

Without even the smallest shadow of a doubt, the worst film I've seen this year (and perhaps ever) is Team America: World Police.

Edited by sgmilne

• Paid Members

I've got this terrible habit of sticking a tape in before I go to me bed and tape from some Sky Movies channel all night. I managed to watch "MXP: Most Xtreme Primate". I'm still recovering brahs from its horribleness.

• Awards Moderator

I just watched Holes on Sky which, far from being a biopic of a multitalented whore is a very entertaining film about a "prison camp". There's a couple of story threads running through and it's a lot of fun.Trivia note: DJM appears to have never been outside.

• Moderators

I had the misfortune to rent Razorblade Smile

What

The

Fuck

How is this so highly rated? It was laughable, absolutely laughable on every level. I find it hard to believe acting *so* pitiful could be put to film. It truly boggles the mind to think about a director that would watch the footage back and not be completely humiliated, let alone be pleased and think it's good enough to be released. This wasn't even entertaining on a 'so bad it's good' level, the dialogue was beyond cliched and utterly wretched, the sort of garbage that would come out of the mouth of a 15 year old 'goff'. Presumably, the people who actually think this has any merit are the sort who crack one off over the 10 minute freeviews on the mucky channels and have a folder full of Emily Booth caps. The worst thing I have ever seen, *ever*, and anyone who thinks this is anything more than the most excretable piece of turd ever put to screen should be legally registered as braindead. How could any director or screenwriter (the same guy in this case) possibly think that something of this standard is acceptable? If you liked this movie, FUCK YOU. Seriously, fuck you.

Minus infinity stars.

Edited by Sickboy

• Moderators

It sucks, but it's better than Underworld!

It's not. It has nothing, NOTHING. Even the hideously tacked on sex scenes reek of a pervy director giggling over the boobies and thinking it's 'erotic'. There wasn't an ounce of originality or worth in the entire movie, if you can call it a movie.

Presumably, the people who actually think this has any merit are the sort who crack one off over the 10 minute freeviews on the mucky channels and have a folder full of Emily Booth caps.

Nah mate - I thought it was shite as well. :(

It sucks, but it's better than Underworld!

It's not. It has nothing, NOTHING. Even the hideously tacked on sex scenes reek of a pervy director giggling over the boobies and thinking it's 'erotic'. There wasn't an ounce of originality or worth in the entire movie, if you can call it a movie.
Don't get me wrong, RBS is dreadful trash. I just hold it over Underworld because Underworld ripped it off.