DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

I watched the hitchikers guide to the galaxy on umd last night, very fuuny a lot better than i expected, i think the tv series was better, but the movie was a very good big screen version. :)

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Awards Moderator

I watched Big Fish last night. Third time I'd seen it. The first time I had a lump in my throat at the end, the second time I had a couple of tears but last night I was practically in floods. :(

I thought it was just fucking dull. It seemed to amble along pointlessly, and I felt like I was watching The Princess Bride with no humour. Or French grunters.

• Paid Members

The Hunted - decent cat-and-mouse thriller with Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio Del Toro, kinda stupid in places but still fun for the whole 90 mins, great knife fight climax too...main problem was i just found Tommy Lee Jones totally un-convincing as the super fighter guy.

The Jacket - good shit, but this is one of them movies that kinda feels like it delibratly tries to confuse you. Still you get to see Keira Knightley's tits and Adrien Brody is great.

• Paid Members

Mean Creek - man, what a sad movie...like a cross between Stand By Me & River's Edge (another film you should check), about a group of boys taking revenge on a bully. Very slow, arty film direction and some really talented young actors make this a pretty harrowing affair, it's depressed the shit out of me, and it's saturday night :( definatly worth a viewing though.

Harold and Kumar Get the Munchies

A good film, but very silly. It has the usual mix of gross-out humour, nudity and swearing (much like American Pie and Road Trip). There are some good laughs to be had during the film, but it is not laugh a minute stuff, and there is too much of a gap between each funny part where nothing good or interesting is happening! John Cho and Kal Penn are good as Harold and Kumar, and there are a few good cameos during the movie. The film is not as good as I had hoped though given some of the reviews and hype the film had been given, and by the end I felt the film never really went anywhere (and was pretty much pointless), but it is still a funny film and will appeal to fans of films like Road Trip, American Pie, Eurotrip, and Dude Where

I went to see A History of Violence today. It is a very basic film, with a very slow pace, average acting, and unnecessary sex scenes which do nothing for the story. It is also very predictable, and outside of the three action scenes is pretty boring on the whole! For a film which many are calling one of the best of the year, I was very disappointed. (*)

Finished watching first series of The A-Team earlier, only the second time I have watched it, and am currently watching the second series. Its really a shame they cant make great shows like that anymore that have a great mix of action and comedy plus with characters who are so likable it is almost impossible to hate them. B.A and Murdoch must be the most under rated double act ever.

Edited by bwo

In the past few weeks i've seen -

at the cinema -

Airplane - Was good to see this classic on the big screen.

The Matrix - Saw this 2 weeks ago, first time i'd seen it. Not something i'd wanna watch again but fairly enjoyable.

Wolf Creek - I really liked it, very tense.

Land Of The Dead - Loved the original trilogy, and the Dawn remake. I liked this movie, though i think they should have left more gore in and slapped an 18 certificate on it.

A History Of Violence - Saw this new Viggo Mortensen/Cronenberg film tonight, good film. Nice use of gore as well. Ed Harris is always good value.

Drop Dead Gorgeous - Black comedy with Kirstie Alley, much in the vein of Heathers (which i love)

on DVD -

Seed Of Chucky - Thouhgt this was really poor, but you get to check out Jennifer Tilley's rack for 80mins so it's not all bad.

House Of 1000 Corpses - Watched this again, and enjoyed it a lot more second time around. Prefer the sequal to this though.

I went to see Night Watch last tuesday. I enjoyed it however it's really confusing in some places and hard to follow. There's some really good camera effects but after a while they get annoying. It's also predictable in places. The strangest part of the film is seeing Buffy dubbed over in Russian with the films subtitles telling you what's said in English.