Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

IMG_7479.thumb.jpeg.5c2fa89d7d3d5e0ff9a33236f5d89b09.jpeg

Competed in a ladder match to earn a shot at the International Title. Lost that match. The very next show, they both got a shot at a different midcard Title before the actual winner of the ladder match got theirs.

I think AEW has too many belts.

On that subject, one of the few belts that thankfully went away; it’s the three year anniversary of CM Punk declaring himself the Real World Champion and MJF no-selling the fuck out of him. He left the company as Real World Champion. If we follow Punks wins and losses in these last three years, I wonder who’s the lineal Real World Champion now? I presume it’s Seth.

Edited by Supremo
  • Paid Members
Posted

As well as the above match, we've got the below scheduled for Dynamite tonight:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

 

 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Presumably the Brawling Birds are babyfaces but every time they do a promo it's so cringe I actively start to hate them.

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Presumably the Brawling Birds are babyfaces but every time they do a promo it's so cringe I actively start to hate them.

Yeah, they're like a parody act at this point, that promo was one of the worst of the year. Absolutely horrendous, and I hope they get demolished by Divine Dominion (although I suspect they'll win). 

Having said that, what a Dynamite - exactly the kind of show they needed heading towards All In. 

I've been lukewarm on Willow in recent months, but fuck me if that segment didn't leave me with a tear in my eye. It was easily one of my favourite segments of the year, and I'll say this again - Tony Khan, you messed up by not giving her the main event at Redemption. I can't wait for Willow/Mercedes. 

The Ospreay/Omega segment really worked for me too, I can't wait to see where they go next with this. Omega played his part brilliantly, and Ospreay did really well too. It felt intense and personal, and really made me want to see the match. 

Mick Foley's segment with Divine Dominion...wasn't great, but I liked his bit with the Bang Bang Gang, and on the whole he's been a great addition to AEW. He seems to be having a lot of fun, and it's infectious. 

Talking of having a lot of fun, the same could be said for Andrade. He seems to be loving what he's doing, although I'd like to see him ditch the signature "photo with attractive woman" spot and the catchphrase as it's getting old. Even so, he's still fun to watch. 

Maya World is far too green to be TBS Champion. Every match she has makes the work Mercedes Mone did to make her look good seem even more miraculous. Shida should still have that title. 

C&C vs. The Bucks...I was hoping this would be a three way TLC-type match with FTR, but it doesn't look like it's going that way. I liked the segment, but it doesn't feel like a dream match to me for some reason. I'm not sure why as I really like both teams. 

It's amazing how much a show is elevated by simply not having Chris Jericho on it. I was all for him returning to AEW, but what a stupid opinion to hold. I wish he'd returned to WWE. My hopes of a Sting-like retirement run were very misplaced. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

Tony Khan, you messed up by not giving her the main event at Redemption.

You keep saying this stuff but it's just not true. They are consistent about presenting the AEW World Title as the pinnacle of the promotion. Very rarely, it hasn't been the main event. That belt will headline Wembley. Omega & Ospreay will headline Wembley. Their stuff is the headline in build up PPVs and TV shows. As it should be.

There are two reasons to put a women's World Title Match in a PPV headline spot. The first being, it's the biggest thing in the promotion. That has been true once, Toni vs. Mariah, and I'm absolutely certain it would have headlined if Mariah was staying. It should have anyway, and Tony deserves some stick for it not having done. The other reason, is you care loads and loads about the self-congratulatory bullshit about what a progressive company you are. Not by honouring contracts or providing healthcare or letting "independant contractors" make a living outside of your four walls, but by making meaningless gestures every now and then. 

Willow should be a face of this promotion. She is amazing. With a good build, Willow and Mercedes should headline a PPV. They have the star-power and the history to sell it. Willow and Thekla don't and there was no reason whatsoever for them to headline ahead of a Kenny Omega you want to sell tickets for Wembley.

I say this with the usual caveat that I'm not someone who is drawn to Women's Wrestling. I like good wrestling and I like big stars. When those stars are a Becky Lynch, Toni Storm, Rhea Ripley or Willow Nightingale, it's undeniable. But those moments in time, like Becky vs. Ronda Rousey or Toni vs. Mariah are still very, very rare. IMO anyway.

Hell of a Dynamite, btw. Dunno if it's Wembley on the horizon but they've pulled me back in.

16 hours ago, Supremo said:

IMG_7479.thumb.jpeg.5c2fa89d7d3d5e0ff9a33236f5d89b09.jpeg

 This was superb. I've been high on Andrade and very low but he's every bit a star now. Can they capitalise on that?

Edited by tiger_rick
Posted

What an unbelievable show! The opening shot was one of the things AEW does best - showing the hot crowd and making viewers at home wish they were there.

Willow had me fully in tears - one of the the most genuine, heartfelt promos I've ever seen. I really wish AEW would have their own #GiveDivasAChance moment, and I'd love a segment like this to be the catalyst. The women's roster is absolutely stacked and it's such a shame that when they're doing work this good they still just get 1 match and 1 or 2 promos a show.

The closing promo was also fantastic. I wasn't sure at first, as the explanation for all the Deathriders stuff is still kind of shaky, but I think they've at least moved past it. The homoeroticism got slightly distracting with Will's talk of pushing a ball up Omega's mountain and doing him from behind, but the promo built to a wonderful crescendo.

  • Paid Members
Posted
2 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

self-congratulatory bullshit

 

2 minutes ago, Ro_y Disco said:

I really wish AEW would have their own #GiveDivasAChance moment

lol

  • Paid Members
Posted
5 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

You keep saying this stuff but it's just not true. They are consistent about presenting the AEW World Title as the pinnacle of the promotion. Very rarely, it hasn't been the main event. That belt will headline Wembley. Omega & Ospreay will headline Wembley. Their stuff is the headline in build up PPVs and TV shows. As it should be.

There are two reasons to put a women's World Title Match in a PPV headline spot. The first being, it's the biggest thing in the promotion. That has been true once, Toni vs. Mariah, and I'm absolutely certain it would have headlined if Mariah was staying. It should have anyway, and Tony deserves some stick for it not having done. The other reason, is you care loads and loads about the self-congratulatory bullshit about what a progressive company you are. Not by honouring contracts or providing healthcare or letting "independant contractors" make a living outside of your four walls, but by making meaningless gestures every now and then. 

Willow should be a face of this promotion. She is amazing. With a good build, Willow and Mercedes should headline a PPV. They have the star-power and the history to sell it. Willow and Thekla don't and there was no reason whatsoever for them to headline ahead of a Kenny Omega you want to sell tickets for Wembley.

I say this with the usual caveat that I'm not someone who is drawn to Women's Wrestling. I like good wrestling and I like big stars. When those stars are a Becky Lynch, Toni Storm, Rhea Ripley or Willow Nightingale, it's undeniable. But those moments in time, like Becky vs. Ronda Rousey or Toni vs. Mariah are still very, very rare. IMO anyway.

I couldn't disagree more, pal. Kenny Omega didn't need to headline Redemption to sell tickets for Wembley. His bout with Ospreay is a huge match, made even more exciting by the segment they had last night. His match with Kevin Knight main eventing achieved nothing in terms of ticket sales, even with the post-match segment. 

I would strongly argue that the biggest and best built match heading into Redemption was Willow/Thekla. And there's reason to close with it outside of "self-congratulatory bullshit" - that being, there's more benefit in presenting both Willow and Thekla as main event level wrestlers than Kevin Knight at this stage. If Willow wins the title in the main event, that tells you something about her value to the company. If Thekla closes the show, that automatically raises her stock even though she's losing. It also presents her title run as significant - which it was. I was a cynic about putting the belt on her when they did, but she ended up being a fantastic champion, and potential break-out star. 

Willow is also a potential break-out star. You're not putting the two of them in the main event - if you choose to - to demonstrate how progressive you are, you're doing it because they have both earned it. You're doing it because the build to the match was the strongest in the show. And heck, maybe you are doing it to demonstrate parity between the male and female rosters too, but that's hardly a bad thing. It's surely going to help AEW retain their best female wrestlers, and attract outside talent - whether it's someone like Bayley, or the next Rhea Ripley or Toni Storm. 

I don't see any downside to creating parity between the male and female rosters, and presenting both world titles as equal. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 minute ago, RedTwoster said:

I couldn't disagree more, pal. Kenny Omega didn't need to headline Redemption to sell tickets for Wembley. His bout with Ospreay is a huge match, made even more exciting by the segment they had last night. His match with Kevin Knight main eventing achieved nothing in terms of ticket sales, even with the post-match segment. 

The man and the belt that is going to headline Wembley needs to headline. It's likely Kenny's only PPV title defence. It was already against an up and coming guy and not a made man. The optics are all wrong if it's not worthy of main eventing.

1 minute ago, RedTwoster said:

If Thekla closes the show, that automatically raises her stock even though she's losing. It also presents her title run as significant - which it was. I was a cynic about putting the belt on her when they did, but she ended up being a fantastic champion, and potential break-out star. 

I absolutely agree. She's been brilliant. But the champion and the title are still a long way from the peak of that belt, let alone the peak of the promotion. 

2 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

I don't see any downside to creating parity between the male and female rosters, and presenting both world titles as equal. 

That could maybe have been an idea from the off but it clearly wasn't and they didn't have the Women's stars or roster for it for years. Other than the time Toni and Mariah were feuding, it would only ever have pulled down one title, not brought the other one up. 

I was joking about the timing of Disco Roy's " #GiveDivasAChance" post but that's clearly a poor comparison. The women of AEW are highly-valued and well-treated from everything I know. They're presented well and given lots of opportunities to talk and wrestle. It's a real Apples and rotten Apples comparison. They can still do better. I don't doubt that but they're light years ahead of WWE were before 2016.

I take the point about representation but I see women very well represented in AEW. I have a girl who sees Britt Baker (saw), Mariah, Mercedes, Willow and Kris Statlander and what they do as real inspiration. She hates Toni though, I don't know why.

Posted

If Motor City Machine Guns don't turn up on tonight's Collision, which is also in Detroit, are they not coming in? Very surprised they didn't make an appearance

Posted

The day before the Arena Mexico Dynamite. 

AEW TNT Championship Match: Kevin Knight vs. Titn.
* ROH Championship Match: Bandido vs. Barbaro Cavernario.
* NJPW Strong Openweight Tag Team Championship Match: Los Hermanos Chávez vs Youjiro Takahasi & Douki.
* Ultimo Guerrero, Neon, Xelhua, Zandokan vs Volador Jr, El Clon, Hechicero, Brian Cage.
* Kyle Fletcher vs. Mascara Dorada.
* Max Star vs Leon Cage.
* Kira & Candela vs Maya World & Hyan.
* Calaveras Jr & Calvera Jr II vs The Swirl.
* Soberao Jr vs Komander.

  • Paid Members
Posted

If you treat the Women's championship as a midcard belt, it'll always be a midcard belt. The idea that Thekla and Willow haven't earned a main event but Kevin Knight has is nonsense. They don't always end with a title match. They should end with the most important match, and Kenny/Knight wasn't that. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
52 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

The man and the belt that is going to headline Wembley needs to headline. It's likely Kenny's only PPV title defence. It was already against an up and coming guy and not a made man. The optics are all wrong if it's not worthy of main eventing.

I mean, this won't surprise you but I don't agree. Just because it doesn't main event doesn't mean it's not worthy of main eventing, and ultimately, it's Kenny Omega - it's not like he needs any sort of boost. It's also a predictable match; no one went into this thinking there was a hope in hell that Knight would win. Not main eventing wouldn't have hurt him in any way, but there's a case to be made to say that it did hurt the women's title. You only need to look at the reaction Willow received last night - that's someone whose first World Title win should have closed a show. 

55 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I absolutely agree. She's been brilliant. But the champion and the title are still a long way from the peak of that belt, let alone the peak of the promotion. 

@Chris B summed it up well, if you treat it as a midcard belt, it'll always be seen as a midcard belt. Ultimately, Thekla has been red hot as champion, earning great reactions - Willow has always been enormously popular. Was there a more over wrestler on Dynamite last night? I don't think there was - presenting her crowning moment in a similar way how Hangman's or Darby's was presented just makes sense, you have a supremely popular wrestler who can and should be treated as a focal point. 

58 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

That could maybe have been an idea from the off but it clearly wasn't and they didn't have the Women's stars or roster for it for years. Other than the time Toni and Mariah were feuding, it would only ever have pulled down one title, not brought the other one up. 

Again, I just can't subscribe to this idea. I don't think anyone would watch a PPV headlined by a women's title match at any point, thinking "huh, the men's world title means less now". Heck, they've main evented with the TNT title and the International Title in the past (or whichever belt it was Orange Cassidy held...) - they've main evented with multi-person non-title matches too. I'd also argue that you could have main evented with Shida/Baker or Baker/Thunder Rosa at certain points, and I also think Toni Storm's title run ending should have closed a PPV. I agree with Chris, you close with the biggest match, and that wasn't Omega/Knight. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...