Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

One thought that weirdly crossed my mind during the multiple times I've watched clips throughout the day (because it's just fucking perfect) is how much different it could've been if they hadn't dragged out the Death Riders stuff for as long as they have. We've debated time after time where they were going and why it's gone on as long as it has etc. Thank fuck it did because everything being built around them was a really perfect way to put the show together. I'm not usually one to believe in the universe or any shit like that but yeah that just felt like a bunch of people were exactly where they needed to be at the right point in time.

Posted

It was an amazing, emotionally draining show. There was a moment in the middle of the Ospreay/Richochet match with the run down for upcoming shows mentioning Collision is live Saturday. I hadn't really thought about it but i'm glad for everyone involved it was a standalone Dynamite and not a marathon tv taping. 

  • Awards Moderator
Posted

Everyone’s already said it, but what a beautiful, moving, emotional, excellent, deeply upsetting, celebratory, devastating show. Had to watch it in small sections through today, I don’t think I could have got through it all in one go. Didn’t help. I’m still a wreck. They couldn’t have done it better but god, I wish they hadn’t had to.

  • Paid Members
Posted
12 hours ago, Chili said:

A video has been released with all the extended tributes. 48 minutes of them.

 

A very emotional watch, but RJ City's tribute made me laugh out loud. Seeing both him and Harley get emotional left me with a lump in my throat though; watching them drop their usual characters and just be themselves made this feel even more real than it perhaps did beforehand. 

I think AEW has done a really good job of doing something healing this week, and I hope it's had the same effect on the wrestlers. I don't expect anyone to feel normal quite yet, but I hope they at least feel slightly better. I do, at least and it's very much because everything they've done has been more thoughtful. 

I actually watched the main event again, Moxley gave one of the best commentary performances of anyone ever, I think - he was hilarious without ever feeling like it didn't fit the tone. After such an emotional show, you needed what he brought. 

@JLM got it right in describing him as 'the captain' of AEW. He's just amazing. I can't articulate strongly enough how much I admire that man. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

"Nothing really to say other than Will was just better than me tonight. Will Ospreay, that's the best in that ring. I gave everything I had. I took every shot I had to the best of my ability; I have no regrets. Will Ospreay is indomitable. This is part of the game, though, man: you're going to lose. I don't care who you are; you're going to lose. You've got to know how to lose. You're going to lose in wrestling, you're going to lose in life, you're going to lose people, you're going to lose opportunities. You're not going to get what you deserve, and you're not always going to get what you earn. Things aren't always going to go your way. What are you going to do?

You've got to just smile and get up tomorrow and do it again, and just give it your best every single day because every single day is a gift. Do you know what it's like to walk out in front of a sold-out crowd? Chicago, New York, and Tokyo. A sold-out crowd like tonight. Surrounded by your friends, teammates, and these great people who pay with money that they work hard all week for to see you do what you do. The opportunity to be out there in the ring, out there in the ring doing this job? It's the best job in the world. There is nothing better than that.

Every day is a gift. Look, I'm serious, bro. And you won tonight. You're the better man tonight. You are the best in the ring. Congratulations. All you have earned is more hard work! There's two kinds of eulogies at funerals. One of them is, 'This is what this guy did.' The other one is, 'This is who this guy was.' When I'm dead and burned up and I'm ashes and I'm in the wind, I know which eulogy I want to have. I know what I want people to say about me at my funeral. And I know what I expect from you, Will. After a couple of years, I still don't think anybody sees it, man! They don't see what we have, what this place can be, what we've been gifted, what's at stake. The future of professional wrestling, our craft, what we grew up dreaming of doing, what kids around the world, just like us - nobodies from nowhere - what they're growing up dreaming of doing right now.

We have the future of pro wrestling in the palm of our hands. Whatever pro wrestling is going to be, it's going to be when we make it. Me, [he points at his fellow Death Riders] you, you, you, you. Will Ospreay. And anybody else who has the guts to do what it takes to be great. To really be great, to really grab life by the balls, to take this opportunity, to take this gift, and do something with it. Do something with it!"

Yeah, I think I’m guilty of taking Jon Moxley for granted.

Obviously it became more poignant (and frankly eerie!) with what happened with Pac, but I do think it’s notable that something of that quality is now just considered a random, throwaway post-PPV clip that we immediately move on from. Imagine if Dean Ambrose had delivered something like that. We’d have talked about it for months. No greater example of how we’re in the era of being completely spoilt.

When pro-wrestling is the healthiest it’s been in decades, and you regularly see the best stuff of all time, your perspective and standards become so insanely warped that you don’t even realise how good you’ve got it.

I’ll likely always run hot and cold on Moxley’s work. Even in a good year, he still only has a hit ratio of around sixty to seventy percent. But then on a week like this, you’re reminded why Tony Khan loves him so much. Why he’s given so much freedom to do whatever the fuck he wants, whether it works or not.

At his core, Jon Moxley is the fucking man. The one wrestler you can rely on to carry you through a pandemic. The guy you lean on when the company has imploded after Brawl Out. A true inspiration with how he handled entering rehab. The one man who can deliver all night long in what’s probably the greatest Tribute Show of all time, if not the greatest pro-wrestling television show I’ve ever seen.

Never mind the captain of AEW, he’s the President of Pro-wrestling.

Commentator of the year, too.

I’m buying a Death Riders T-shirt.

Edited by Supremo
  • Paid Members
Posted

A masterfully done tribute. Sad but healing and joyful at the same time.

Special mention to Tony Schiavone, Will Ospreay and Jon Moxley.

Schiavone for holding the show together with complete class. Ospreay for carrying himself as a true Champion to represent the company, giving the fans permission to lose themselves in the match and enjoy themselves while also somehow pulling off a beautifully cathartic ending. And Moxley for being the leader of the company, rallying everyone and everything around him. They should be proud of themselves.

And within the sadness and emotion of the whole thing they actually managed to merge reality with kayfabe. In tragedy Mox and Danielson finally put aside the past and reunited to honor their departed friend and close off that storyline in a way that felt satisfying and respectful to the occasion. Absolutely masterful. 

And Danielson was as good as ever in the main event. Don't pack your gear away just yet Bryan, we got the Continental Classic coming up!

  • Paid Members
Posted

Chris Jericho has announced they’ll be doing a live episode of Collision from the Jericho Cruise on November 7th.

First true positive about Chris Jericho returning to AEW in 2026. Absolutely ridiculous it took them this long to do TV from the cruise again. Such a cool idea.

Posted

If Will wasn't likely to be on a generational title run I could see them finally pulling the trigger and having a Darby-esque short but killer championship run with OC. It's maybe long overdue.

Posted

The sign in the crowd... "Gravity Forgot. We Won't". Not a dry eye in the house. I don't think me and my partner have ever cried for 2 solid hours from a television show before.

Huge respect to all performers for going out there and giving us a show we'll never, ever forget. That was something special. I wish it didn't have any reason to be.

RIP Pac. We'll love you forever man. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...