EURO 2024

Weezenal

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, hallicks said:

This is from Grace Robertson’s Euros newsletter, about why Foden isn’t working in this England team and why Palmer is a better fit:

“England did gain a bit more zip about their play in extra time through some decent subs. I don’t think Cole Palmer is a better footballer than Foden, but he plays in a way in which he has to think about it less. Foden has spent so much time adapting to intelligently fit into Pep Guardiola’s positional play structure that you can’t just give him the ball and expect something to happen. Palmer just wants to try stuff. It’s what England need more of. International football is a different sport to the club game, and Palmer is better suited to this than Foden.”

On a wider point, Grace Robertson is about my favourite football writer and always enjoyable wherever she's talking about it.

• Members
17 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

On a wider point, Grace Robertson is about my favourite football writer and always enjoyable wherever she's talking about it.

Really? I find her writing absolutely insufferable to be honest, and I have a lot of time for the newer style of football writer that we've seen in the last couple of years.

Each to their own innit.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Really? I find her writing absolutely insufferable to be honest, and I have a lot of time for the newer style of football writer that we've seen in the last couple of years.

Each to their own innit.

Absolutely. Her perspective and style is really refreshing to me, a world away from the Miguel Delaneys and Henry Winters of this world. Always enjoy her.

• Members
2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Absolutely. Her perspective and style is really refreshing to me, a world away from the Miguel Delaneys and Henry Winters of this world. Always enjoy her.

Him and Jonathan Liew for me are the absolute worst. Reactionary little shits who just seem to write things to see who will respond rather than actually writing anything of conviction.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

The flags get put away tonight lads. Can’t wait.

EDIT - quick fun for you. I was already thinking about Euro 2004 when on hold to Virgin Media for ages yesterday, with Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield playing among their hold music selection - it being the song the BBC used for their "England get knocked out" montage.

AND THEN.... Yamal scoring a record-breaking goal last night reminded me of my favourite Kevin Keegan gaffe. Commentating on England vs Croatia on ITV, Clive informed the nation that one of the records broken by young Wayne Rooney - youngest goalscorer ever at a Euros finals, set just four days earlier - had fallen when Vontlanthen had scored for the Swiss against France. Kev's response? "Yeah, well, he'll get it back."

Edited by air_raid

Really didn't hold out much hope based on the lacklustre performances previously but they hit a different gear tonight at the right time. Not perfect by any means but at least there was fight there and a willingness to get forward. Much better to watch and what an ending.

• Paid Members

They played a lot better than usual tonight. The penalty was bit of a joke, though who cares? Bent ref gets his payoff, no losers here, except a shit Dutch team.