If only they'd come along now...

RedRooster

• Paid Members

If you want to build a clubbering division out of the past of Japanese feds, I strongly suggest you ask Dr Beckett to bring you Daisuke Sekimoto. The three matches I got to see him have on finals day of Fire Festival in 2011 and 2012 were a revelation.

• Paid Members

This talk of clubbering has me thinking that Haku might have been a world champion now. Not a talker, but wouldn't need to be.

I think Steve Blackman might have had a higher profile too, though not main event level. Probably IC.

Surely there's an interesting part of this where if some of the people listed here had come along now the wrestling landscape might be fairly different due to the fact they didn't exist in the past? 

Does Dynamite Kid/Owen Hart/Jerry Lynn have a place in today's wrestling world if they're not there to influence the style so heavily? Or is the general shift in wrestling caused by enough different people's styles that if you remove Dynamite Kid and have him be born in the early noughts you still get roughly the same Bryan Danielson?

Arguably people are more open to more varied styles these days and that's as much on the rise of VCRs and the Internet as technologies and yeah no one wrestler is likely the reason wrestling is in it's current form but yeah an "interesting" thought that occupied me whilst i wait form something to compile

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, organizedkaos said:

Surely there's an interesting part of this where if some of the people listed here had come along now the wrestling landscape might be fairly different due to the fact they didn't exist in the past? 

Does Dynamite Kid/Owen Hart/Jerry Lynn have a place in today's wrestling world if they're not there to influence the style so heavily? Or is the general shift in wrestling caused by enough different people's styles that if you remove Dynamite Kid and have him be born in the early noughts you still get roughly the same Bryan Danielson?

We're going too far down the "Wrestling Of Future Past" rabbit hole. Don't make me again share my theory that if Virgil had won the 1992 Royal Rumble, WCW would still be alive.

10 hours ago, air_raid said:

We're going too far down the "Wrestling Of Future Past" rabbit hole. Don't make me again share my theory that if Virgil had won the 1992 Royal Rumble, WCW would still be alive.

Do. It. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Vamp said:

I feel like Tajiri would have had a good run in either AEW or WWE if he came along now. I think I prefer the reality we got though as he was a fun midcard act.

If only they’d come along now… the “I prefer it the way it was” remix.

I think Tajiri was handled far better than he could have been (and than some of us were expecting at the time), but I wonder if a modern run in WWE would have actually been any better, thinking about guys capable of wrestling absolute bangers but ended up amounting to little or nothing like Kenta/Itami, Tozawa and Kushida.

AEW would have been a different kettle of (raw) fish altogether. Prime Tajiri could easily have had the run Takeshita is having now. Or been an obnoxious little twat palling around with the Bucks. As long as they kept him away from Callis.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, CL Punk said:

Big Van Vader would be interesting in modern day WWE.

Any fat-man monster would be, as there's almost no-one like that nowadays. Earthquake would've shone, for sure, Big Daddy V probably, King Kong Bundy, One Man Gang, Bam Bam Bigelow, they would all have been really intriguing with all the fast guys bouncing off them and the big guys trying to move them.

10 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Any fat-man monster would be, as there's almost no-one like that nowadays. Earthquake would've shone, for sure, Big Daddy V probably, King Kong Bundy, One Man Gang, Bam Bam Bigelow, they would all have been really intriguing with all the fast guys bouncing off them and the big guys trying to move them.

Two parts Kevin Owens one part Lesnar. Would be huge now.

I do find it sad there’s no place for teams like this nowadays

I guess The Viking Raiders are the closest but they are expected to do flips and all that.  I like huge guys the faces just bounce off.