It's Wrestlemania Season

d-d-d-dAz

I'm surprised they kept Gable in the hunt as long as they did, if he wasn't getting the nod. It suggests to me they didn't realise the extent to which Gable connected with the audience.

I've had people who I consider otherwise sensible express genuine annoyance that Sami is facing Gunther, and not Shoosh boy.

The whole thing really has been building to Gable beating Gunther. Its felt like one of them old fashioned WrestleMania stories that started in November ish last year, Gable was chasing Gunther, lost in the first instance but kept going.

The whole build up to the match on RAW with Gables promos etc, it all pointed and made sense to him being the one to challenge and finally beat Gunther after all his work.

Sami has only just entered the story so I can completely understand why those watching week in week out aren't behind Sami in this instance, it shouldn't be his match.

• Paid Members

I think Sami and Gable largely have the same type of fanbase, that appreciate the grafters and want to see them rewarded on the big stage. Sami got that last year, in a big way. So I think a lot of fans just felt like it should have been Chad's turn this year. I think he has the better backstory with Gunther too.

• Paid Members

It is bizarre that they’ve seemingly learned nothing from Rock and Cody and are still stepping on their own bollocks. You’re writing the stories. Why are you muddling the narrative by having two protagonists that can undermine each other?

I do wonder what the plan would've been for Sami if all this other shit hadn't gone down. Brock. Punk. The Rock. All of that. I'm not even sure what his path to Mania would've been if anything. Something with Drew seemed the most logical.

Still don't think Chad would've got his Gunther match anyway. Would they have ever thought that was a worthy Mania match? I doubt it.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I do wonder what the plan would've been for Sami if all this other shit hadn't gone down. Brock. Punk. The Rock. All of that. I'm not even sure what his path to Mania would've been if anything. Something with Drew seemed the most logical.

Still don't think Chad would've got his Gunther match anyway. Would they have ever thought that was a worthy Mania match? I doubt it.

Well, no. Because the plan for Gunther before the shot going down, had been Brock.

1 minute ago, air_raid said:

Well, no. Because the plan for Gunther before the shot going down, had been Brock.

Yeah sorry I think that was my badly worded point. That they'd been building this Chad stuff which was never going to go anywhere anyway. So whatever shit Sami is getting, it's not like he's in the way of some major plan. It was never on the table.

3 hours ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

I'd like to see Gunther vs. Sami vs. Gable. Last year he had the classic triple threat with the hosses, could he do it this year with the smaller workrate guys instead? 

Then they should have fought out to a draw rather than letting Gable get rolled up by a fatigued Sami. 

8 hours ago, Doog said:

The whole thing really has been building to Gable beating Gunther. Its felt like one of them old fashioned WrestleMania stories that started in November ish last year, Gable was chasing Gunther, lost in the first instance but kept going.

The whole build up to the match on RAW with Gables promos etc, it all pointed and made sense to him being the one to challenge and finally beat Gunther after all his work.

Sami has only just entered the story so I can completely understand why those watching week in week out aren't behind Sami in this instance, it shouldn't be his match.

Sad fact is they weren't. They had that thread go on for one month.... then it was dropped completely... then brought up recently to give him a bit of background heading into the gauntlet.

Big Gable fan, gutted for him. 

• Paid Members

Without being unnecessarily harsh I couldn’t disagree more with some of what I’ve read about Zayn and his route to this opportunity at Mania. I like Gable as a wrestler but have no huge issue with him as collateral damage here. Unless Chad Gable is genuinely your favourite wrestler, I’m dismayed that anyone would begrudge Sami getting this shot. After months and months of “Sami deserves better” - here it is, THIS is better. “Oh, we didn’t mean this” - fuck that, they can’t please some people whatever they do.

2 hours ago, air_raid said:

Without being unnecessarily harsh I couldn’t disagree more with some of what I’ve read about Zayn and his route to this opportunity at Mania. I like Gable as a wrestler but have no huge issue with him as collateral damage here. Unless Chad Gable is genuinely your favourite wrestler, I’m dismayed that anyone would begrudge Sami getting this shot. After months and months of “Sami deserves better” - here it is, THIS is better. “Oh, we didn’t mean this” - fuck that, they can’t please some people whatever they do.

Gable is not my favourite wrestler, however Sami has had his time. He doesn't 'deserve better', he has already massively overachieved. As has been said, he has only recently been inserted into the story. Yes, they haven't referenced it since but Gable made the vow to beat Gunther. His kids were crying for God's sake. 

Gable has been criminally misused and overlooked for years. He is the one who deserves better. He had a built in underdog story and having him beat Gunther could have created a new popular babyface.

As long as Sami loses at Mania I can live with him being in the match, however. I just have this horrible feeling he'll win though....*SHUDDER* 

1 minute ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Gable has been criminally misused and overlooked for years. He is the one who deserves better. He had a built in underdog story and having him beat Gunther could have created a new popular babyface.

Has he though? Maybe for another topic but it's not like he's had a massive amount of support over the years from fans to the point where WWE desperately needed to do something with him. He's always been capable and obviously talented but he never caught on in an undeniable fashion. 

Whether that's him or the booking can be argued. Likely a bit of both if we're honest. He obviously has strengths. And they've finally found something people seem to be into. So if there was any time to push him more it's now. But as far as anything in the past? Less clear cut I'd say.

Gable obviously got the shoosh gimmick over, but for absolutely YEARS he's also been one of those guys who the crowd really watch the matches of, and get into the second by second of.  He's like Benoit in that sense (and only that sense) - even when he's in a no-story throwaway match he gets the crowd invested and anticipating his moves.

He's one of the best pure wrestlers and athletes they've had in the last 10 years in WWE, and clearly can promo, so it's only been I guess his size that's held him back from anything more.  He absolutely deserves a really good Wrestlemania match one of these years.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, air_raid said:

What if Gable isn't 'genuinely your favourite wrestler', but you just feel his story and his in-ring style is a better fit for Gunther at WrestleMania? Don't get yourself all dismayed over it dude.