• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

So what’s this Okada fella all about then? He has a great face, one of those people who are pleasing to look at faces but having no previous experience of him he doesn’t instantly strike me as the superstar I’m being sold. Is he one of those guys that takes a bit of time investment to get the full package or am I missing it? 

Yes, he's one of those guys that takes a bit of time investment. I didn't get him at first and wasn't that impressed, and I now think he's one of the greatest wrestlers alive.

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I didn't get him at first and wasn't that impressed, and I now think he's one of the greatest wrestlers alive.

Imagine, back in the day, with only that short match with Yoshi-Hashi to his name after returning to New Japan, my shock at reading he'd beaten Tanahashi, who even in 2012 I was starting to consider the greatest World Champion of his time. Come August of the same year I was in the building when he won the G1, and I already "got it" that he was special. There's something there that's hard to put a finger on.

6 minutes ago, Chili said:

I felt bad for Jack Perry because saying 'real glass' or not, Punk doesn't need to start throwing hands while your fixing your hair after a match. Physical assaulting a co-worker and then the online response is 'that got him fired?' YES, It's an assault, if this incident shown me anything, it's that some wrestling fans are more than happy and accepting actual physical violence in a work culture/life/situations.

My reaction to the footage exactly.  Unprovoked physical assault = immediate dismissal.  Forget the whole "but what about the storyline backstage attacks" - that's fiction and this is reality, and really ALL wrestling fans should understand the difference by now.

I can also understand the Tony Khan "fear for my life" comment now as it's his monitor that is knocked over and then Punk lunges at him aggressively.  Yes, it's an overreaction but again, entirely created by Punk's childish unprofessionalism.

Nobody comes out of this looking good.  Punk is exposed as a liar and an unhinged moron, AEW is made to look unprofessional and petty, the live crowd chanting for Punk look like utter idiots.  And it killed the crowd for the rest of the show, making the TV product worse.  Airing this is one of the worst decisions I can remember from a modern wrestling organisation.  Maybe since Dixie Carter publicly berating her entire roster at the start of a Dynamite.  Coming off the positive and almost universally loved Wrestlemania weekend, this only serves to solidify that the momentum and goodwill AEW accrued in its first few years is gone.  They're now competing with a re-energised WWE and this, this isn't the way to do it.

I'm not sure what the achieved aside from mockery and Punk chants, even in supposed context it's all embarrassing. If anything I hope this gets everything Phil related out of Tony's system and he can go back to trying to create a great alternative, because right now neither company is doing it for me.

• Paid Members

AEW trying to DMCA everyone and stop them sharing the footage on Twitter was easily the most interesting part.

Like they realised instantaneously how fucking stupid this whole thing was and how it wasn’t the massive gotcha they expected. Trying to get the toothpaste back in the tube the second it comes out. Everyone warned you.

Honestly, the only person this nonsense will benefit is Drew McIntyre, who’ll almost certainly reference it in the coming weeks, adding extra zeroes to the contract he’ll eventually sign with WWE.

Yeah I've seen a few, well this is their WCW moment innit, no going back now etc. I think time and some revision has made people forget or they just never lived through how bad WCW truly was as a business and sometimes a product.

Can we have Willow Nightingale, Edge, Briscoe and Kingston as some fun group of ragtag mates please!

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Honestly, the only person this nonsense will benefit is Drew McIntyre, who’ll almost certainly reference it in the coming weeks, adding extra zeroes to the contract he’ll eventually sign with WWE.

Common knowledge or not, I imagine that's in the bag already.

WWE® HEADED TO GLASGOW FOR CLASH AT THE CASTLE: SCOTLAND® THIS JUNE – World  Wrestling Entertainment Inc.

• Paid Members

Not to be all “oooh you’re hard” about it as I understand from a professional workplace point how it’s cost Punk his job, but I do think there’s a lot of overreacting to the severity of the actual fight. By most accounts Punk was verbally antagonised and offered by Perry to fight him, and all he did was shove him and front facelock him. It’s not like anyone was hurt or any real fighting happened. It’s handbags.

1 minute ago, FLips said:

Not to be all “oooh you’re hard” about it as I understand from a professional workplace point how it’s cost Punk his job, but I do think there’s a lot of overreacting to the severity of the actual fight. By most accounts Punk was verbally antagonised and offered by Perry to fight him, and all he did was shove him and front facelock him. It’s not like anyone was hurt or any real fighting happened. It’s handbags.

And I don't see how Khan feared for his life. And why not show thar footage if it exists? What's the big secret?

Okada is a guy who's excellent in an epic. He's also a guy who's great at doing very basic moves when they matter. 

NJPW rebuilt themselves around him. I don't think he's actually that easy to book if you're trying to slot him into a different company and expect the same results. 

4 minutes ago, TheScarlettChad said:

And I don't see how Khan feared for his life. And why not show thar footage if it exists? What's the big secret?

It's in the footage, Punk goes over to him afterwards after his arse smashed into the screens as they scrapped. You can see Jerry Lynn pulling Punk away as it's the moment Chris Hero gets to them. Punk's a wrestler and their boss isn't, so if one of my employees goes at ME after a ruck and I don't have the weird mentality that I'm some Vince hardman, but just some rich skinny lad running the wrestling, I'd be worried too. Basically there isn't a big secret, we've just watched some CCTV and apparently now Shane McMahon will announce he owns AEW next week because of this or something. I really wish my original theory that someone's cock fell out, or Tony Khan diving into some crisps like Homer at the Kwik-E-Mart happened instead.

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members

Really if Tony Khan wanted to use this footage to humiliate or expose CM Punk he should have just quietly leaked it onto the internet then let everyone else run with it. This is going to be talked about as an idiotic decision for years to come. I can't even imagine what Jon Moxley thinks of the whole thing.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Just seen the footage on Twitter now. Wow… was that it? Whenever you heard of backstage fights I always imagined them to be worse than that.

If this was a real sport or the lobby of the House of Commons I could see how it would be newsworthy. But in pro wrestling, where we’ve had ‘backstage attacks’ on weekly tv for over 25 years, it seems rather tame in comparison.

I may be desensitized to the whole thing by now but on a TV show where you’re always trying to put over heinous attacks, showing a guy being struck and being put in a front facelock being hammed up as this massive big deal is kind of funny.

Given AEW is on a channel like TNT not everyone follows the online stuff anyway and it would all seem rather confusing.

Edited by garynysmon

1 minute ago, garynysmon said:

Just seen the footage on Twitter now. Wow… was that it? Whenever you heard of backstage fights I always imagined them to be worse than that.

If this was a real sport or the lobby of the House of Commons I could see how it would be newsworthy. But in pro wrestling, where we’ve had ‘backstage attacks’ on weekly tv for over 25 years, it seems rather tame in comparison.

I may be desensitized to the whole thing by now but on a TV show where you’re always trying to put over heinous attacks, showing a guy being struck and being put in a front facelock being hammed up as this massive big deal is kind of funny.

Given AEW is on a channel like TNT not everyone follows the online stuff anyway and it would all seem rather confusing.

That's a good point actually that's rather sad. They'll be younger fans who still believe or are semi into that and will probably find this all very dull and confusing.