AEW Dynamite Thread 2024

DavidB6937

7 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

IMG_7050.thumb.jpeg.bf72b771c178310a09ef3960a590cf2a.jpeg

And more power to him if so.

Though, if it is a big work, it may be one that just isn't made for my tastes. I hear 'I can't use my legs properly because of my neck' and I don't rush to buy a PPV, if anything I look away.

It was like when Kurt started showing signs of decline - not a work, admittedly - but some people loved the drama of it. I couldn't watch. Every time he wiggled his fingers after a big bump my stomach would turn.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Awards Moderator

If the immediate aftermath of the Okada match (seriously Tony, stop putting Bryan with Okada, that pairing is cursed) was that bad, would they have had him do the tag match this week? No match is necessary, but wouldn’t you have kept him back and just done Saturday?

I think this takes us into a weird place.

Are we saying he doesn't have a neck injury? Are we saying he's completely bullshitting?

Or just, he's 'hamming it up. His injury is as exactly as bad as it needs to be for me to feel personally comfortable watching'?

I personally think there is a bit of the latter going on. I think all the signs have been pointing to his body breaking down quicker than expected, and they're rushing to the finish line.

That said, he may be hamming it up now ahead of a big angle with Mox or whatever. It doesn't personally matter to me too much whether that's true or not, as the idea it might be is a bit much for my sensitive stomach.

That said, I'd love to hear theories about him being a complete bullshitter and being absolutely fine. That'd make me much happier.

50 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I think this takes us into a weird place.

Are we saying he doesn't have a neck injury? Are we saying he's completely bullshitting?

Or just, he's 'hamming it up. His injury is as exactly as bad as it needs to be for me to feel personally comfortable watching'?

I personally think there is a bit of the latter going on. I think all the signs have been pointing to his body breaking down quicker than expected, and they're rushing to the finish line.

That said, he may be hamming it up now ahead of a big angle with Mox or whatever. It doesn't personally matter to me too much whether that's true or not, as the idea it might be is a bit much for my sensitive stomach.

That said, I'd love to hear theories about him being a complete bullshitter and being absolutely fine. That'd make me much happier.

He's obviously had one, but would he be wrestling this current style and schedule if it was that bad or he still had it? Would doctors be clearing him?

He's a bullshitter in my opinion, like the rest of them, Doesn't mean that I don't enjoy him or anyone else, I just don't believe a thing he or anyone else says in this business.

• Paid Members

I really like it. He's clearly banged up and has plans to retire but not knowing quite how bad he is means every time he says he's really bad - it's believable and gets you wondering if it's going to lead to him dropping the title and calling it a day (full time anyway). 

It's sad that the only touch of "it's still real to me dammit" in our lives revolves around someone being really hurt but that is what it is. The lightning is well out of the bottle.

3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I really like it. He's clearly banged up and has plans to retire but not knowing quite how bad he is means every time he says he's really bad - it's believable and gets you wondering if it's going to lead to him dropping the title and calling it a day (full time anyway). 

It's sad that the only touch of "it's still real to me dammit" in our lives revolves around someone being really hurt but that is what it is. The lightning is well out of the bottle.

Pro-wrestling and kayfabe are a fascinating thing and how an audience digests the story being told, gains an emotional investment, escapes reality, etc. I've personally long been of the opinion that pro-wrestling is at its best and most powerful when the lines of reality and kayfabe are blurred and you're left truly questioning where each begin. And I find the bullshitting and outlandish tall tales entertaining and another part of pro-wrestlings charm. It's funny what we can each overlook and ignore to maintain that entertainment and escape.

Yet, this Danielson stuff, the ideas he's flirting around with, whether genuine or embellished provide none of that effect or magic for me personally at all, quite the opposite. Almost certainly because it hits very close to home with my own family. So the things he's implying he's risking and potentially doing to himself and his family as a result, willingly, doesn't garner any sympathy for him from me or any jeopardy, if anything only makes him a massive heel. As ultimately feels like an incredibly selfish choice. He's done it all, had a long career, made his money, reached the very top, could continue to make money for life in the industry without being physical. Whether it's genuine or he's using those emotions to play it up for effect for the sake of story, it doesn't have me wanting to watch and enjoy his matches and continuing, I don't want to watch him at all if it's a possibility and want him to stop. Regardless of my own personal experience, in a post-Benoit wrestling world, with all we know now of the effects of CTE, how other wrestlers of a similar style to his have gone on to be, it just makes him seem like a bit of a prick for continuing when he doesn't have to, not sacrificing his love of wrestling for the sake of his family, rather than the other way around.

A random thought that occured during last dynamite was how neat it'd have been if they'd have worked the whole final countdown thing. I assume they hadn't, it's not like like Tony Kahn is low on cash and I assume rights fees is a thing people can check but it'd've been a great little trick for a wrestling company to have pulled.  Tell your fans, initially in a press conference or such like, that a certain song costs a hideous amount of money to use. Then keep reiterating that it costs so very much money (whilst playing it on special occasions) to the point you're now making jokes about how much it costs in your TV show

Then when wrestler who uses the song starts retiring you can start bashing it out  on less special stuff "well if they're playing this song on a random dynamite, maybe this is his last match". You've basically worked an entrance theme into meaning something extra

What are people predictions for wrestledream? Is bryan Danielson going to retire? I think it's quite clever how they have said he will retire from being a full time wrestler. I wonder if its because so many wrestlers have a retirement match and they don't retire so they are not claiming he will never wrestle again.

I don't normally buy the ppvs but I'll buy this one. It looks really good. Wish there had been more build up to the hangman, Jay White match though. Jay White should be pushing for main event status I think so potentially an important match 

4 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

It's their weakest PPV lineup in a while for me. There's not enough there for me to pay for it.

Maybe you are right. It's just the fact that it might be Danielsons retirement match.