Guest Posted October 17, 2024 Posted October 17, 2024 (edited) 4 hours ago, RedTwoster said: Given Moxley’s mission statement, he should have been all over this show. If ‘no one is safe’, prove it, have them show that they’re a threat to the entire company, all of the time. They’re on to a good thing with this story, but they need to make it more all-encompassing, at least some of the time. I thought 3 segments on the show was fine. Jon Moxley is a very calculated man, according to those that know him, so him and his crew going after people systematically makes sense. He's already made one or two references to not having a big problem with the Elite, even calling Jack Perry a good kid or whatever it was, so I do think that's ok. I would say that I think they could've done with being in the main event, and that would have felt more all encompassing. The Adam Cole/MJF retcon was clunky as hell, but there aren't good options at this stage. Like others, I would've been tempted to just let this be buried, rather than try and reset the pieces and go again. You already abandon stuff regularly, no one will notice if you do it again! I dislike Jericho less than most, but this feud has been really bad, and is harming Mark Briscoe, who should absolutely be on the front line resisting Moxley. That said, I would not mind him dropping the ROH title to Jericho so he can focus on other things. No comment on FTR vs Learning Tree. Nothing. Nor the Acclaimed. Nor Mercedes. I was amazed how good Shelton looked. Going more strong, quiet and confident will be good for him, and Lio Rush was perfect for the match. The NCC victimising Orange Cassidy, and then a whole raft of jobbers was brilliant, especially some of the absolute dismissive beatings on Andretti (and I think one of the other top flight guys too). Tops. Marina as Xenia Onatopp is also working really well. Remember when William Regal, I think it was, said someone came into the WCW locker room and said "you guys are in the "on the bubble" battle royal, where the winner keeps their job and the others are fired. And Chavo is going over" and they all started losing their jobs? This please. None of these jobbers should appear on AEW TV for at least 6 months, if ever, after losing these matches. Let's build this faction monster! I really enjoyed the tease of the Elite's reaction, but it being Jack Perry being the selfish devil on the Bucks' shoulders was great. Okada not being part of the follow up segment was also interesting. One V-trigger to the scapegoat could be all it takes to get them back, ready to take on these nazis. Very interested to see Cage and Archer as a monster bros tag team, but I did find myself wondering what they do with Hobbs now. Do they just pretend he's never been in the family? Does he do the Sami "you never called me" thing? The Book of Hobbs has many empty pages. Talk about dropping the ball from Kyle though. Came out looking good and then basically did a mad-lib 2015 WWE heel turn promo. Better for him to just not say anything. The main event felt like a bit of an afterthought, and I feel like the show would've been a fair bit better if the Elite v Conglomeration, with BCC beat down, had been the main event, with this in the middle of the card. Hanger, Jay and Christian all need a bit more to sink their teeth into, and it felt really disconnected from the rest of the show. All in all, I really like the wider direction, and the opportunity for fresh matches with younger guys. This is the most I've ever been invested in Private Party. It's still no more than 5 out of 10, but I'm glad they're mixing it up rather than FTR again. Edited October 17, 2024 by Duke Quote
The King of Old School Posted October 17, 2024 Posted October 17, 2024 16 minutes ago, Duke said: Very interested to see Cage and Archer as a monster bros tag team, but I did find myself wondering what they do with Hobbs now. Do they just pretend he's never been in the family? Does he do the Sami "you never called me" thing? The Book of Hobbs has many empty pages. Get him in with MVP and co. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted October 17, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 17, 2024 8 minutes ago, The King of Old School said: Get him in with MVP and co. What makes you think he'd be a good fit? Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted October 17, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 17, 2024 I really like it. I know some people rate Bobby Lashley but I'd much, much, much rather see them put MVP behind Hobbs and give him the sort of massive push they keep threatening but never carry out. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted October 17, 2024 Author Posted October 17, 2024 I guess the only problem with the Mox stuff is a blanket statement saying if you've got anything to do with AEW then you're under attack. So yeah, arguably he should be destroying absolutely everyone from start to finish. So it probably needs a little more explanation on targeting and priorities. I guess weeding out the dancing and the partying and the ones not taking it seriously first, and then going from there seems to be the plan. It's a tough thing to book as well because you can't actually have Mox and everyone ruin every segment. Just like - and I'm in absolutely no way actually comparing it apart from a logic perspective - something like Retribution. Hostile takeovers but picky ones that only turn up when they're booked to do so. It's a fine line isn't it. Quote
Guest Posted October 17, 2024 Posted October 17, 2024 18 minutes ago, tiger_rick said: I really like it. I know some people rate Bobby Lashley but I'd much, much, much rather see them put MVP behind Hobbs and give him the sort of massive push they keep threatening but never carry out. Keen for Hobbs to move on, but Hurt Syndicate feels like a significant change for him, and it would only work if they're not bringing in Lashley. Would be a cool swerve in that case 27 minutes ago, LaGoosh said: What makes you think he'd be a good fit? To be fair, the other people MVP has approached thus far are Swerve and the Acclaimed, so it's not like they're not leaning into it themselves. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted October 17, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 17, 2024 1 hour ago, Duke said: To be fair, the other people MVP has approached thus far are Swerve and the Acclaimed, so it's not like they're not leaning into it themselves. I know, I was joking! Quote
The King Of Swing Posted October 17, 2024 Posted October 17, 2024 I could very well be way off but Mox mentiong 150 wrestlers and telling everyone they work for him now, leaves me leaning towards AEW moving towards some sort of roster split. Just a vibe I got from the opening video. I reckon Perry joins Mox. He's never really fit with The Elite, imo. Meh I actually didn't mind Kyle's promo. Quite like this new Don Family lineup, tbh. Mariah's best work since she won the belt. More of that please. 7/10 episode for me. Clunky in parts but nothing that I found offensively bad and some really good stuff in the second half. And Shelton Benjamin is 49?Excuse me while I go and have an existential crisis. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted October 17, 2024 Author Posted October 17, 2024 1 hour ago, The King Of Swing said: And Shelton Benjamin is 49?Excuse me while I go and have an existential crisis. This was how I felt when I found out I was older than Roman Reigns the other day. Quote
Paid Members JLM Posted October 17, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 17, 2024 4 hours ago, LaGoosh said: I know, I was joking! I didn’t get it because I don’t see colour. I don’t care if someone’s white, LFI, New Day, Bloodline or LWO, they’re all just people to me. Quote
RIDDUM_N_STYLE Posted October 17, 2024 Posted October 17, 2024 Mercedes really hasn’t shaken off the WWE-ness has she? Even after doing a run in NJPW before joining AEW. Her theme is shite, her finisher is way too clunky and she didn’t really need a bodyguard, which is a waste of Kamille Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted October 18, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 18, 2024 1 hour ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said: Mercedes really hasn’t shaken off the WWE-ness has she? Even after doing a run in NJPW before joining AEW. Her theme is shite, her finisher is way too clunky and she didn’t really need a bodyguard, which is a waste of Kamille Her theme as a heel works for me. It looks like she’s dropped the shit finisher for her old submission and she doesn’t need a body guard, but neither did Shawn Michaels and that worked for the character, so I’m fine with it. It gives Kamille a chance to be highlighted before the inevitable turn. With all that said, there is a decent women’s division and she does need to step up when you compare her to the likes of Willow, Anna Jay and Statlander waiting in the wings. Quote
Tim Healys Chutney Spoon Posted October 18, 2024 Posted October 18, 2024 17 hours ago, BomberPat said: I thought the stuff with The Elite in the Trios match was at least interesting - there's a war for the soul and the future of AEW, and the EVPs want absolutely no part of it. That's an interesting wrinkle in that story, depending where it goes. Would have been happy if they'd stuck with that and not also done the promo about Kenny Omega and the Private Party angle with the Bucks on the same show. I think it's very good from the EVPs...sit back and watch the carnage unfold then side with the winners. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted October 18, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 18, 2024 17 hours ago, BomberPat said: I thought the stuff with The Elite in the Trios match was at least interesting - there's a war for the soul and the future of AEW, and the EVPs want absolutely no part of it. That's an interesting wrinkle in that story, depending where it goes. For sure, The Elite looking on as a group of real baddies is dead set on destroying their meal ticket and looking conflicted as to what to do was very interesting. Jack Perry is different from the Bucks/Okada who are more comedic smug guys here to fuck around and get big paychecks - Perry is a genuinely nasty and vicious little cunt. Perry eventually joining the BCC and The Elite being pulled into the big fight as babyfaces with a returning Kenny Omega in the mix would be where I would take the story. Quote
Paid Members Arch Stanton Posted October 18, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 18, 2024 8 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said: Mercedes really hasn’t shaken off the WWE-ness has she? Even after doing a run in NJPW before joining AEW. Her theme is shite, her finisher is way too clunky and she didn’t really need a bodyguard, which is a waste of Kamille Confused by this, she was a massive star in WWE, with a great theme tune, good finish and no bodyguard. To me, it's more like she shook off the 'WWE-ness' and was far worse off for it. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.