DavidB6937 Posted October 3, 2024 Author Posted October 3, 2024 25 minutes ago, Chris B said: I like the way you've described this. For me, this kind of thing is key to long-term storytelling, but can be frustrating in the short-term. It feels like some people have felt like Okada was coasting or similar, or not being utilised properly. Like anything other than WrestleKingdom Okada is a disappointment. But that doesn't happen in a vacuum - you have to lay the ground work for the BIG matches to mean something. If we got that all the time, it wouldn't mean anything when we do get it. You can't go all out all the time. So far, I think they've pitched and paced Okada really well. It feels like they're progressing a bunch of their guys to a higher level. Last year, it felt like Swerve was in a league of his own, and I worried they'd struggle to make his run mean something. But now, it feels like a bunch of people can slip into a main event programme and feel exciting. Okada wrestling methodically in the way he does at the moment fits perfectly for his heel personality. And if it starts being ineffective and resulting in him losing then you've definitely got that long term storytelling of finding the old Okada and all that. It's like when you get high flying guys who don't switch things up when they change from face to heel - it's incredibly difficult for them to get the fans to turn on them because they're still doing the awesome high spots. They've got (at least) two choices - either lean into that with an egotistical side, or slow down and remove those fan-popping spots. Quote
Paid Members JLM Posted October 3, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 3, 2024 Yeah I really want Hobbs in this group. He has indeed been injured. Torn patella tendon in his match against Mox in April. Self inflicted freak accident out of nothing. He went for a running knee into the corner, Moxley moved, Hobbs mangled his knee against the turnbuckles. He had surgery in May. Late September the “has been spotted backstage” talk started, so hopefully an imminent return. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted October 3, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 3, 2024 4 hours ago, LaGoosh said: I enjoyed stuff on that but as a whole episode of wrestling television found it a bit unexciting. I find that on some episodes the pacing, layout of matches and segments, random bits of dead air and weird production ticks really take me out of the show. When you find yourself re-booking the show while you're watching it it's probably a sign that you're not really digging it. I’m totally with you on all of this. AEW reminds me of when Netflix gives a great director free rein to make the movie they want, without the interference of an editor telling them to cut X, Y and Z. As a result, you often get shows that are full of brilliance, but don’t always feel that way - and matches that are good, but longer than they need to be. A few edits here and there, and you’d have a sensational show almost every week. I enjoyed the show, although Danielson/Okada just wasn’t for me. I actually had no idea it was taking place until they randomly mentioned it in this show, and I was caught off-guard - presumably I missed something last week. Regardless, I think this match would have been more enjoyable if it was non-title. The Continental title only being on the line for the first 20 minutes telegraphed the length, as well as the outcome. Was last night the first time the announcers suggested someone was pulling the strings of Jon Moxley and that he might be operating on someone’s behalf? It’s interesting that they did that - and whoever that person is, I hope they fit the eerie, ominous vibe of the promos being cut. In other words, I hope to fuck it’s not Shane McMahon. I don’t mind him joining AEW, but not in this particular role. MVP managing Mercedes could be a stroke of genius, if that’s what they decide to do - her character is unwatchable right now and his promo ability and character work might give her the spark she so desperately needs. Quote
Mr Kennedy Posted October 3, 2024 Posted October 3, 2024 (edited) https://twitter.com/tde_gif/status/1841631763409297510?s=46&t=VI8LMQ8LyP9wLypkULMtMg This stuff is just horrible, in my opinion. Athletic? Yes. Wrestling? No. Edited October 3, 2024 by Mr Kennedy Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted October 3, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 3, 2024 (edited) 20 minutes ago, Mr Kennedy said: This stuff is just horrible, in my opinion. Athletic? Yes. Wrestling? No. I don’t mind it at all. Two agile competitors trying to outdo one another, giving what they’re doing purpose. They’re both capable of athleticism, and as well as trying to win, they’re raising the stakes in that sense too. Each to their own of course, but I enjoyed it. Edited October 3, 2024 by RedTwoster Quote
Paid Members JLM Posted October 3, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 3, 2024 (edited) I can totally see why it’s divisive. Overly choreographed, shatters suspension of disbelief, obvious co-operation etc. People have preferences and different thresholds for stuff like that. I see why some would love it and I can see why it’s a massive turn off for others. I enjoyed it as a spectacle but didn’t think it was up there with Ospreay’s best work this year. He can do much better than this. I’m not certain Ricochet can. I wouldn’t bother trying to define what is and isn’t wrestling though. It’s such a preposterously broad medium that I think it’s an impossible task. Edited October 3, 2024 by JLM Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted October 3, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 3, 2024 19 minutes ago, Mr Kennedy said: https://twitter.com/tde_gif/status/1841631763409297510?s=46&t=VI8LMQ8LyP9wLypkULMtMg This stuff is just horrible, in my opinion. Athletic? Yes. Wrestling? No. Luckily AEW's product is varied so there's something for everyone. Don't like flippy shit? No worries, we got Hangman and Juice having an old fashioned brawl coming up next! Variety is a good thing. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted October 3, 2024 Author Posted October 3, 2024 5 minutes ago, JLM said: I enjoyed it as a spectacle but didn’t think it was up there with Ospreay’s best work this year. He can do much better than this. I’m not certain Ricochet can. That's definitely my issue with it now. I used to not really 'get' it, but fair enough we all like different types of wrestling. As you say, it's insanely broad and there's something out there for everyone really. But watching a clip like that just bores me a bit - they've both done it better (even with each other) but Ospreay's last couple of years have been exceptional as he's learnt to not just be a spot monkey. So while it's a fun little spot here and there, I'd much rather watch his other work. Quote
BrodyGraham Posted October 3, 2024 Posted October 3, 2024 (edited) That sequence was basically a feeling out sequence in a longer match that got more hard hitting as it went. If people are fixating on that sequence then they didn't watch the match properly, if at all Also, the crowd lost their shit at the call back, so job done really. As an aside because of how the match was structured and finished, I'm pretty sure they've got more and better in the tank. Edited October 3, 2024 by BrodyGraham Quote
Mr Kennedy Posted October 3, 2024 Posted October 3, 2024 1 minute ago, JLM said: I can totally see why it’s divisive. Overly choreographed, shatters suspension of disbelief, obvious co-operation etc. People have preferences and different thresholds for stuff like that. I see why some would love it and I can see why it’s a massive turn off for others. I wouldn’t bother trying to define what is and isn’t wrestling though. It’s such a preposterously broad medium that I think it’s an impossible task. Fair enough. Perhaps a bit too harsh to not call it wrestling, and not trying to be disrespectful to Ospreay and Ricochet either because I like them both. They’re not the first to do that stuff and won’t be the last. Probably doesn’t help that I watched Joe vs. Kobashi again last night too.? Quote
Guest Posted October 3, 2024 Posted October 3, 2024 14 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said: As an aside because of how the match was structured and finished, I'm pretty sure they've got more and better in the tank. AEW has form for a first match having an indecisive finish leading to a bigger, better rematch. It's one of their typical tropes. So much so that some rugged stallion said this a couple of weeks ago Quote Just to add I think it's extremely unlikely O'sprey and O'Shea will give it everything in this first match. AEW has a history of doing first matches to build to rematches, laying some groundwork and sowing seeds in the first, then exploding with the second. That said, I agree with others that I didn't come out of it thinking Pinochet has much more in the tank. He looked how he's looked in since he's arrived, a guy who set the standard but others around him, especially Osprey, have long surpassed. He's going to have to come up with something else. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted October 3, 2024 Author Posted October 3, 2024 29 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said: That sequence was basically a feeling out sequence in a longer match that got more hard hitting as it went. If people are fixating on that sequence then they didn't watch the match properly, if at all Also, the crowd lost their shit at the call back, so job done really. As an aside because of how the match was structured and finished, I'm pretty sure they've got more and better in the tank. Or maybe they just didn't like it? Sometimes it's not about watching a match properly. Quote
Paid Members Chris B Posted October 3, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 3, 2024 Damned if they did, damned if they didn't. If they didn't do it, you can guarantee there'd be some people talking about how they used to be better and they can't keep up with their past selves. So showing that they can still do it, and then do what they've matured into is probably the best option. I don't know if there would have been much point doing this match this early for both of them without showing that they can still be those guys at times. Quote
Guest Posted October 3, 2024 Posted October 3, 2024 I mean, the real question is whether it can truly be considered a good when they nicked all those spots off the NXT women. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted October 3, 2024 Author Posted October 3, 2024 13 minutes ago, Chris B said: Damned if they did, damned if they didn't. If they didn't do it, you can guarantee there'd be some people talking about how they used to be better and they can't keep up with their past selves. So showing that they can still do it, and then do what they've matured into is probably the best option. I don't know if there would have been much point doing this match this early for both of them without showing that they can still be those guys at times. See you say that, as if guys have to recreate their past glories, but we never got THIS again did we?! Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.