AEW Dynamite Thread 2024

DavidB6937

9 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Tony doesn't seem that bothered though. And if he's happy with the way things are going then I can't imagine things will change a massive amount. It's still his plaything at the end of the day. He's succeeding in some areas and that seems to be enough for him.

I know there's this idea that he isn't bothered either because they can afford it or he's just oblivious. Problem is, this year especially, there's been significant changes made and they haven't been for the better.

Whether that's been down to penny pinching or a failed strategy we'll probably never know. As the public response is always going to be "we're doing great! Best year ever"

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Tony doesn't seem that bothered though

He probably is. No promoter of anything is going to publicly say they are worried or unhappy about ticket sales. That would be madness.

He seems (as much as any of us really know) to have his main focuses which are PPVs and big shows and TV deals. He doesn't seem massively interested in regular touring or pushing those shows or anything like that. Or he just doesn't have the right knowledge to market them properly. I don't know really. It feels like he could throw more money at it if he really wanted to.

But yeah he's never going to come out and say oh we're doing shit at xyz. So who really knows what's going on behind the scenes. It's definitely an interesting situation though. With a product that can be as great as theirs can it does feel like they should be doing better in certain areas. But if WWE are being massively successful then does it simply create a ceiling for AEW?

• Paid Members

This is real armchair psychology, so massive grain of salt, but I wonder if the biggest issue isn't actually control. You see it quite a lot in new/growing organisations where the person at the top wants to know everyone & know everything going on and isn't comfortable delegating responsibility & authority. So you get aspects of it that end up underfed because someone like Tony has limited time, energy, and even skills.

Someone might nominally be 'in charge' of these areas, but without the delegated authority to work independently they can remain undercooked or always working on tight deadlines even still.

Edited by Jesse
Got my terminology messed up, no backseats here

• Paid Members

Feels very much like a "Danielson's body is about to collapse let's get it all in while we still can" type of match making to me. I'm fine with it to be honest. I don't really want to see a big build to Danielson/Okada 3 considering the first two were pretty average. It doesn't feel like a huge match anymore.

The 20 minute stip is one of those things that's convoluted, pretty funny but actually kind of makes sense. A better way to announce the stip would be if it was announced by Okada followed with a massive shit eating grin at the end but you can't have everything.

10 minutes ago, 2Xtreme_lives said:

Do we assume that danielson wins after making okada tap immediately after the 20 min mark to do some proper okada shithousery 

giphy.gif

Opens the show so it can go the 20+ minutes. Announcers remind us only the first 20 minutes are contested under Continental Title rules banning those from ringside. After 20 minutes Tony will feign surprise as the BCC or Elite come out, Excalibur explaining its fine now. Its only a World title fight after all! Leads to some bollocks finish.

• Paid Members

Get the Continental belt on Danielson. Lock him in for another Continental Classic. And then after that just keep putting new belts on him, so he can never retire. Finally, a good reason to have so many titles!

• Paid Members

He’s slooowly getting there. He‘s been working DDT shows and he looks a lot better than he did in the disastrous NOAH match. Still nowhere close to his peak but appears to be heading in the right direction. They’re keeping him in fairly light multiman tags at the moment, so hopefully he can continue getting healthier.

He’s never going to be the majestic specimen he once was, but last time I saw him it didn’t make me feel desperately sad, so that’s progress right?