• Paid Members

Shit, yeah; forgot to mention my boy Garcia. Great showing again. Chuck The Acclaimed straight in the bin and have a proper Team AEW for Blood and Guts, consisting of Swerve Strickland, Hangman Adam Page, Orange Cassidy, Mark Briscoe and Danny Garcia. That's my AEW. My guys. Core of this whole company. Daddy Magic at the desk, obviously.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Supremo said:

I’d normally hate a Raw-style opening promo being interrupted a few times, leading to an impromptu match, but it felt earned here and flowed really well

This is usually my pet hate (if someone interrupting a promo in the opening segment sets up the main event, what was the main event going to be if they hadn't interrupted? Why have you gone live on TV without booking a main event match?). but it worked in this instance because it was a match that had already been announced ahead of time, the "surprise" was that it was happening straight away, so the Elite were still caught off-guard.

The best part of the segment was Matt Jackson offering Swerve a pair of their new trainers as a "gift", and then you notice Matt's just wearing socks, so he's clearly just taken his own shoes off and tried to buy Swerve off with them. 

The worst part was Christopher Daniels. Having a non-TK babyface authority figure to balance out the Elite is fine, but they're presenting it horribly - why can the interim EVP overrule the existing EVPs? Why do the Elite have to do what Daniels says? Given that Tony Khan himself is also still popping up sometimes, it reeks of TNA, with feuding authority figures with no clear indication of where they fit in the org chart. Daniels as the babyface counterpoint to the Bucks should be doing things like reinstating wrestlers they suspend, redressing the balance when the Elite try to abuse their power, not making rulings that directly affect the Elite, because that's just confusing and doesn't make sense given their stated job titles. 

It also doesn't help that Daniels has only been an authority figure for a few weeks and is already at risk of making "qualifying match for the TNT Title Ladder Match at Forbidden Door" his answer to Teddy Long's "tag team match".

• Paid Members

Yeah I'm not really feeling Christopher Daniel's role here. There was a backstage promo where he's just standing vacantly in the middle of the shitty set for several seconds then starts talking. And if they are going to stick with this role he can at least wear a fucking tie or something. Look the part, man!

Speaking of sets, I hate AEW's weird interview set with the cheap looking metal mesh-like background and additionally I hate that they've started adding lighting to backstage segments. Like Pac being in a corridor that had red and blue background lighting. It's a modern WWE-ism and it looks like shit. When it comes to backstage stuff they should be emulated real sports as much as possible and have everything look as realistic and that it takes place in the real world as much as possible. It's just a much better aesthetic. Equally, I hate when the backstage area is completely empty, surely there should be stagehands, production crew and other wrestlers all over the place. Make it feel like a living, breathing environment! Without that stuff all the outside the ring stuff feels like it takes place in an unreal ghost town where the wrestlers vanish into nothingness the second they are not directly on camera.

Has Khan been on TV since the injury angle? I imagine Daniels is just there as a neutral party prop to come out and make announcements in the heat of the moment. Like Aldis and Other Guy over on the other channel, I quite like the concept of a boring authority figure after entire eras worth of them being despotic lunatics. 

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, The Gaffer said:

Has Khan been on TV since the injury angle?

Yes. He drove Darby to the building for his return, he announced the Owen Hart Foundation Tournament, and was dragged out to the ring during Anarchy In The Arena.

I like using Tony Khan to make announcements that are a little outside of kayfabe - business deals, new PPV dates, TV specials, that kind of thing - and having a kayfabe authority figure to announce the kayfabe stuff. But it muddies the water when they're also involving Tony in the storylines.

On 6/14/2024 at 3:05 AM, Chili said:

Who ordered the two and half hours of Eddie Kingston AEW promos? Because I owe them a coke and a packet of sour patch kids... Dig in folks!

I did the same thing, clicked on vid, next thing you know 2 and half hours fly by. What a fucking man Eddie is though. Also forgot most of the promos from Covid period so was great seeing that part. The monster pop when his music hits on his return will be an all timer!! 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Nick James said:

Okada is the funniest man in wrestling. The comedic timing he has is impeccable, what a guy.

I love that he's being paid millions of dollars to turn up, do one funny bit then go home. I'd kill for that job.

Hangman must be the Wild Card. Who else could it be?