AEW Dynamite Thread 2024

DavidB6937

29 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Forget size for a moment *WilliamsGif* You see this is something I don't understand with both AEW and WWE. They seem to go to great lengths to make every venue look the same for the TV shows. WWE might throw in a double decker bus in the UK but apart from that, nothing, everything looks the same. Even backstage is homogenised. 

I imagine it's far easier to set up for a TV taping using the same thing every time? While it's fun to watch stuff that's a bit different, the logistics behind having different sets and different ways to light things/film things etc as well as the costs must be why they don't. Is it really worth the cost? I don't think it brings any more fans into it so I imagine that's why they cut back on unnecessary stuff.

That makes a lot of sense, also tracks with the fact Daily's Place is the only unique venue they do - a lot of the staff had a year to get used to how to setup/film that location

Regardless, they should probably find a bunch of smaller venues they can make look exactly the same. Last night was rough, there's clearly a audience saturation point below which silence gets a lot more noticeable.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I imagine it's far easier to set up for a TV taping using the same thing every time? While it's fun to watch stuff that's a bit different, the logistics behind having different sets and different ways to light things/film things etc as well as the costs must be why they don't. Is it really worth the cost? I don't think it brings any more fans into it so I imagine that's why they cut back on unnecessary stuff.

Oh yeah for sure. However as a viewer, I don't care about that stuff. I want to see wrestling shows in mad, unique locations. 

I'm sure the addition of Collision has also had a knock on effect on attendance. I don't think AEW has a fan base big enough to draw a decent crowd to two live shows per week.

30 minutes ago, organizedkaos said:

Regardless, they should probably find a bunch of smaller venues they can make look exactly the same. Last night was rough, there's clearly a audience saturation point below which silence gets a lot more noticeable.

It's not really about smaller venues. We'll all have seen shows 25%-50% the capacity of a venue that looked and sounded great.

As most people predicted Collision exacerbated AEW's self-inflicted wounds. Booking got worse with people siloed off into different camps with no hard brand split. A brand split at least would have made thing's easy to follow and promote.

Twice as many shows meant dipping into smaller markets and worse using A-B towns on what's seen as the secondary show which leads to them underperforming. The new guy has a tough job on his hands when it comes to live events. There should be some simple gains like avoiding the upcoming Huntsville show in future. If you don't run a town in 2021, 2022, 2023 except for a trial house show. Probably best not to book a double taping of Dynamite/Collision there.

Edited by Infinity Land

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I understand that Davey Numbers but as Gooshy says as a viewer why do I care. If everything looks the same every week then you might as well stay in one place, saves a fortune. 

3 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I understand that Davey Numbers but as Gooshy says as a viewer why do I care. If everything looks the same every week then you might as well stay in one place, saves a fortune. 

I've never understood why Anthem/TNA haven't invested in a modern day Impact Zone/Asylum. Somewhere to tape their TV that would look great and can go on the road for their big PPVs. Those Las Vegas shows they just did looked great, but I see they're already going back to the old ECW arena.

• Paid Members

Joe opening the show in his suit swaggering about the place is a great look. So deflating that Hook had to come out in front of a small and quiet crowd when they did such an amazing job with him last week. Still thought he was booked strong again though. Enjoyed the Taz/Joe exchange "Who raised him? You found that out last week". 

Penta/Hangman was a solid opener, again hurt by the quiet audience, though they picked up a bit by the end of it. 

Continue to enjoy the Bucks' outfits but didn't think the backstage segment was very good. 

Trent vs Wardlow was OK. Wardlow of course beat Trent with no help from the Undisputed boys here, as he had been doing to all of his opponents before he became a devil goon. They did actually make it slightly more difficult for him because they distracted the ref and allowed Trent to hit him with a chair. He did get to say "Boom" and look at Adam to see if he's been a good boy before doing the Powerbomb though. He does that after he uses the big boy toilet as well. 

Deonna/Toni segment was excellent. They did two of the things I wanted to see in this; those being Deonna trying to cut through the Timeless gimmick, and  Toni being attacked in black and white causing a sudden cut to colour.  The split screen with them both on stage was brilliant. The tattoo bit was amazing; what a great bit of real life history to draw from, had no idea about that. Maybe I was wrong about them needing to turn Purazzo heel to pull this thing off. 

John Television (that PIECE OF SHIT) and Mrs TV appearing on Dynamite gives me faint hope that Dalton will make it. Was silently praying for him to come bundling into the segment. Johnny TV and Taya have been one of the bright spots on ROH as well lately too, was pleased to see them too. 

Swerve vs Jeff Hardy was way above my expectations. Credit to Nana and Matt Hardy for working hard to keep the noise up for it, but this crowd was also fairly pro-Hardy, which allowed Swerve to be that bit more villainous. Been very down on the Hardys of late, but having Jeff put over Darby and Swerve back to back is the perfect way to use him I must admit. He had his working boots on for this one too. Very entertaining, heated match and more momentum for Swerve.  

Hangman should hide in the basement like Dalton so people stop interrupting his Renee-time. This little confrontation was one of the best bits of the show. I love how Hangman cannot contain himself around Swerve. There's the blood-drinking burning hatred between them, but Swerve also brings out the petulant child in Hangman. "THIS FUCKING GUY" energy oozing from Hangman any time Swerve appears. They are absolute magic together. 

Red Velvet vs Thunder Rosa occurred. 

Sting/Darby/Bill/Starks promos were just OK. 

Acclaimed vs Mogul Embassy was decent, not as good as the Mogul Embassy/Bullet Club match but still fun. 

Had to re-watch the Kaze Ni Nare from Forbidden Door to cheer myself up a bit after Suzuki's entrance. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA5IwzSs_vE

That aside, Suzuki vs Copeland was brilliant. Great choice to do the spear through the barricade right away so they could basically do the whole match as a closing stretch. This Copeland vs The World thing is so much fun. From figuring out how to ground Dante Martin to having his jaw tested like never before by the murder Grandpa, he's doing Streetfighter Arcade mode and I love it. Finishing with the Killswitch was a delightful touch. 

This dynamite was perfectly fine, but the sparse and quiet crowd really hurt my enjoyment of it and it took me two sittings to get through it when I usually do it in one.  Very excited for the big cage match on Collision though, plus Cassidy vs the winner of the 4 way, Danielson vs Yuji Nagata and the return of Serena Deeb. I reckon Collision might be the one this week. 

14 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

I've never understood why Anthem/TNA haven't invested in a modern day Impact Zone/Asylum. Somewhere to tape their TV that would look great and can go on the road for their big PPVs. Those Las Vegas shows they just did looked great, but I see they're already going back to the old ECW arena.

As great as that would be, they didn't make any money from tickets.

They'd need it to be near a tourist attraction to get enough people.

• Paid Members

It's the problem with booking people from outside your company. You can't have them win it diminishes your guys with no upside, and when you keep bringing them in and losing every time it has a diminishing upside for your guys. AEW have more than enough people on their roster to fill all the time, but while the booker is obsessed with New Japan it will keep happening. It was an OK match, but ultimately it means nothing other than AC and his sunshine band got a win over a guy that doesn't mean anything storyline wise. 

• Paid Members

The match didn’t really do much for me honestly but it was cool to see those two together

Another good show and Swerve shone again. He’s the man! Him and Page can feud all year long as far as I’m concerned

Toni Storm may be the best thing in wrestling at the moment, which is something I couldn’t imagine saying a while back. Absolutely incredible as Timeless! I’d happily take little segments like this for the next few weeks. Also enjoyed Fritz Lang getting his head kicked off

My other favourite part of AEW is Darby Allin. The way he just jumped out the ring straight to the outside as if it’s completely normal. I’m absolutely fascinated by him

• Paid Members

Yeah Montez Ford did that on Smackdown last night too. Superhero shit right there. Or maybe they’re wearing a ring which prevents fall damage. 

Edited by JLM

2 hours ago, waters44 said:

The match didn’t really do much for me honestly but it was cool to see those two together

Another good show and Swerve shone again. He’s the man! Him and Page can feud all year long as far as I’m concerned

Toni Storm may be the best thing in wrestling at the moment, which is something I couldn’t imagine saying a while back. Absolutely incredible as Timeless! I’d happily take little segments like this for the next few weeks. Also enjoyed Fritz Lang getting his head kicked off

My other favourite part of AEW is Darby Allin. The way he just jumped out the ring straight to the outside as if it’s completely normal. I’m absolutely fascinated by him

You're sleeping on the fact that Sting is both in the ring AND in the audience!

• Paid Members

ED5F7380-3A49-49A4-B1F7-2CD12A6F52D0.thumb.webp.062e6ed0183673a8412d563cd4fdc7bb.webp

These two women have shared history and came up together in the same industry and both went to Japan to hone their craft together, at one time lived together and have matching tattoos in the same spot? What could it MEEEAAAN? MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!