Objectively great wrestlers you just... don't get!

Loki

Triple H. My opinion here probably isn’t helped by the fact I started watching in 2002 during the ‘reign of doom’, but even casting that aside, I’ve never really found him that interesting as a character or a wrestler.

I absolutely love his booking though, so maybe it was worth enduring years of - at best - apathy towards him just to get to where we are now. 

Jericho as a main eventer. He was fine as an upper midcard face or comedy heel, but he was just lacking that something extra to put him over the top. He's always been a bit clunky in ring too, unless he's in with someone super smooth like an Angle, Benoit or prime 2000 Triple H. Even his second World title run as suit wearing heel was a bit meh, and also inspired dullards like Swagger to attempt the same schtick in lieu of a personality.

Maybe if they pulled the trigger on him in 2000 with the title win off Triple H he'd have faired better, but Rock was the better option to go with back then as your top face vs Triple H.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Tommy! said:

Not quite on topic but I think undertaker is overrated because of the WWE hype machine. Post 91 to 96 was shit and post summerslam to him fucking off was shit.

His 2000 return was good until mania 17 then he was on and off until mania 24.

I'm not saying he's not good, he's just not as good as wwe says and so not as good as people looking only through the WWE lense say 

Certainly benefitted from a retrospective narrative which would like to portray him as the bedrock of the company for decades, yet there's hardly a period of more than a few months when he was ever 'the guy'.

The 'streak' is a complete accident of history they stumbled upon after a while. But what really does a streak matter when its constrained to a single annual event anyway?

Edited by garynysmon

18 hours ago, Tommy! said:

Not quite on topic but I think undertaker is overrated because of the WWE hype machine. Post 91 to 96 was shit and post summerslam to him fucking off was shit.

His 2000 return was good until mania 17 then he was on and off until mania 24.

I'm not saying he's not good, he's just not as good as wwe says and so not as good as people looking only through the WWE lense say 

I think that WWE gave Mark Calaway the perfect gimmick. Undertaker suited him perfectly and covered up his limited mic skills, especially in the early years.

18 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Triple H. My opinion here probably isn’t helped by the fact I started watching in 2002 during the ‘reign of doom’, but even casting that aside, I’ve never really found him that interesting as a character or a wrestler.

I absolutely love his booking though, so maybe it was worth enduring years of - at best - apathy towards him just to get to where we are now. 

I adored Triple H as a kid. My first forum name was - tragically - ‘hhhrox’ before I moved here and changed it. He was fucking *everything* to me. I had the DX shirts and Triple H shirts, the only thing stopping me from going denim and leather was my mum who said we couldn’t afford it but I suspect was just doing me a favour to stop me from getting bullied.

I haven’t watched a single match of his back in years. He just wasn’t… great, was he? And his list of great matches isn’t a long one.

I’d love to see someone’s list of Triple H’s 10 best matches and see if I agree. The only ones that jump out at me now are vs Rikishi on one of the first Smackdown’s shown in the UK; the Three Stages of Hell with Austin; ladder match with The Rock for the IC title and maybe the Hell In A Cell with Batista.

Considering his ‘thing’ was how good a wrestler he was, the back catalogue just doesn’t stack up.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LCJ said:

I think that WWE gave Mark Calaway the perfect gimmick. Undertaker suited him perfectly

I agree, but my point still stands he's over rated by the WWE lense through selective memory.

Edited by Tommy!

Triple H is probably my pick for the opposite of the thread's ask, really. He definitely overstays his welcome, but I'd still take a bunch of his matches to a desert island. When you stop to think about him nothing actually seems really good - a total Wrestler Man wrestler - but he had a knack for years of just being able to call shots enough that a big angle or gimmick match could always be called upon. To me he's one of the most entertaining wrestlers ever when presented as a 3-disc DVD set, even though sitting through a lot of his runs could be torturous. Especially Evolution through the the DX reunion where - regardless of if he was playing a detestable sadist, your dad listening to Rage Against The Machine or NWA 2000 - he decided he was the funniest man alive and we should all hear his jokes in promos. 

The stuff with Foley, Jericho at Fully Loaded, doing an Iron Man for an Attitude Era audience and getting it over, putting the Rousey debut together, D-Bry at WrestleMania XXX, the SummerSlam match with HBK. He has quite a hit list. I even like a lot of his 'bad' matches just as pure WWE melodrama. The Armageddon fight with Vince, the Putting Him Over special with Rollins at WrestleMania, the self-indulgent rematches with HBK (other than the Hell in a Cell, which should probably finish before a Saudi Arabian football team win the Champion's League). 

I was always a big Triple H fan too but got less into him as time's gone on. I think it was a combination of No Way Out '01 being the first PPV to get me watching wrestling semi-regularly and him being good to play as in the games. I find his offence and selling always looks good too.

I still like him now, but he was the least cool in DX, the least cool in Evolution, had that boring phase in '03 coming back from injury, the Jericho and Booker T Mania matches, playing a part in stopping Punk's momentum after the Pipe Bomb, and many others in between.

I've not watched it back in years but I think his match with Bryan at Mania XXX could be up there with his best.

2 hours ago, Tommy! said:

I agree, but my point still stands he's over rated by the WWE lense through selective memory.

That’s fair enough. Calaway probably would’ve fallen by the wayside if he’d have stayed as Mean Mark.

Triple H was never the same after that first quad injury in 2001. He was in belting form from late 99 up until then. His comeback in 2002 was ruined by him getting far too big in comparison to what shape he was in his best year in 2000. When he laid off the gas in 03/04 he got some of his in-ring form back, but just wasn't as good. His dominating Raw with 20-minute opening promos and tearing down the pushes of Goldberg, RVD & Booker around then didn't help either I suppose.

Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks.  I have to say much like you’d hear hype from Powerslam about how good people outside of WWF and WCW I’d heard a lot about these guys and with them joining AEW and talk of six star matches I was in.  The I saw them and by God they come across as a bunch of geeks.  Kenny can’t cut a promo to save his life, he look perpetually terrified if there’s a mic near him and his wresting is ok.  The Bucks are just crap.  No personality, they come across as geeks and they cheapen so many moves by having people kick out of them on regular TV shows.  Dreadful.  I think Omega is saveable by WWE because I felt the same way about AJ Styles until he went there and smashed it.  The Bucks I think will stay as they are.

Seth Rollins for me. He is obviously very popular and one of the best wrestlers in the world but to me he's just a man doing loads of moves every match, it almost feels like he has a number of moves he has to complete like he's playing wwe 2k or something. His stupid entrance and cloths turn me off. I try and watch every now and again but usually end up getting bored and skipping.

Probably would also say MJF, he's just the latest internet darling in my book.