SuperBacon

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I've not seen Days Of Future Past (I've been told it's very good), but I really liked First Class, and I thought it was better than the first and third original X-Men films. It competes with X2 for the best of the main X-Men series, I think.

The popular opinion is that Days is good but not as good as First Class. I think its better because it ties in nicely with First Class, it ties in nicely with the original three films while going back to render most of their events as will-have-going-to-have-happened-happened but not actually-happened-yet-hactually - to steal a line from the last man alive. I think its got great drama, pulls at the heartstrings, and has stakes - lifted as it was from one of my favourite stories from the comic and cartoon. The Rogue Cut is worth watching although the film flows much better without what they cut out.

7 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

At some point, I really need to get to watching Logan

It's belting, but then I would say that, given that it deals with two of my favourite things from the comics, Old Man Logan (kind of) and X23.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 2 is one of my favourite films. It's brilliantly done, although I think it may just be nostalgia that has it above the Tom Holland ones for me, Clive. 

Could I reel off a huge list of video-game sequels that are better than their predecessors? Yes I could, but I'll spare you all the details. 

Empire Strikes back is better than Star Wars, it was never part of a planned trilogy. It was rustled up because of how well Star Wars did at the box office. Also it's better because Irvin Kirchsner directs it. Still gutted that we didn't get David Lynch's Return Of The Jedi. 

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Empire Strikes back is better than Star Wars, it was never part of a planned trilogy. It was rustled up because of how well Star Wars did at the box office. 

Hasn't Lucas done interviews where he claims that before principle photography started on Star Wars, that he'd written and re-written so much that he had a basic outline for three films including a "final" destruction of the Death Star at the end of the third, and rough notes of a prequel filling in Ben Kenobi's backstory?

Of course, that could just be his famous revisionist history. He didn't like the real version of his life so he remastered it to include more Ewoks.

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Could I reel off a huge list of video-game sequels that are better than their predecessors? Yes I could, but I'll spare you all the details.

Street Fighter II will always trivialise other examples anyway.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Hasn't Lucas done interviews where he claims that before principle photography started on Star Wars, that he'd written and re-written so much that he had a basic outline for three films including a "final" destruction of the Death Star at the end of the third, and rough notes of a prequel filling in Ben Kenobi's backstory?

Of course, that could just be his famous revisionist history. He didn't like the real version of his life so he remastered it to include more Ewoks.

Mark Hamill said during the making of Star Wars Lucas had plans for 4 trilogies and asked if he’d be willing to play the role in 35 years time. So I think it’s fair to say Lucas had plans, if the first was a success.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Uncle Zeb said:

That's if you assume it's at all relevant to this discussion. I would say not. Games should only be included where we are specifically talking about the story / when they're story driven. 

The fact that sf2 has better gameplay than street fighter has no relation to the discussion in this thread. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Alpha is a better prequel, mainly because I was a right weeb and loved the more anime aesthetic. It also feels like the first game where story/lore really matters, connecting the world of Final Fight, too.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, the nature of games tech means that almost entirely across the board, videogame sequels/prequels are much more likely to be superior to their original instalments. The greater breadth of functionality and superior spec almost guarantee this.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Superman 2 is easily better than the first. I think they're all better than the first tbh 

The Donner Cut is. The Richard Lester version is alright. It certainly does well to raise the stakes from the first. Superman 4 is dreadful, though. 

24 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

The Donner Cut is. The Richard Lester version is alright. It certainly does well to raise the stakes from the first. Superman 4 is dreadful, though. 

4 is decent in that it's so shit it's kind of fun but I would never call it a good movie.

Edited by westlondonmist

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It’s the best Superhero film ever made in Milton Keynes 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It’s the best Superhero film ever made in Milton Keynes 

Who can argue with lofty praise like that? I withdraw my argument.