SuperBacon

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Pearl is a decent prequel to X. I think I preferred it to X actually.

Red Dragon is fine. Obviously not as good as Manhunter, but still perfectly watchable and not as bad as Hannibal and Hannibal Rising.

Actually, speaking of that, the Hannibal TV show was really good.

Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp was better than the first one if I remember correctly. Although its been so long since I watched them I can't remember either film at all. I just remember one being lots better than the other.

House of The Dragon was lots of chatting and light on action but was a lot better than I expected.

Is Mad Max: Fury Road a prequel?

I'm really digging deep to find something good.

Fury Road takes place after the other three. 

• Paid Members

He injures his leg at the end of Mad Max, doesn't he? Or is it at the start of the Road Warrior where they kill his dog? There's a lot of speculation about whether Fury Road is a reboot, a different Max (the feral child from Road Warrior or Max's kid from the first film), an alternate timeline, or even just that the movies are stories being told by an unreliable narrator. 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

even just that the movies are stories being told by an unreliable narrator. 

It's this, basically. The way I once saw it explained it is that Mad Max is basically a folk hero/legend to the people of the wasteland, and every movie is effectively a different account of his exploits from a different narrator.

On 7/13/2023 at 7:01 PM, jazzygeofferz said:

He injures his leg at the end of Mad Max, doesn't he? Or is it at the start of the Road Warrior 

End of Mad Max, think he gets shot in the leg.

Haven't watched any of the movies in a while but I'm sure he's already wearing some sort of leg brace at the start of Road Warrior. 

Personally I don't put much thought into the continuity of the series following Road Warrior.

Edit. 

Just watched the trailer for the new Wonka movie. Looks absolutely shit and not because it's a prequel, just shit in general. 

But I'm obviously not the target audience. 

Edited by The King Of Swing

On 7/13/2023 at 6:23 AM, jazzygeofferz said:

If we're not including Temple Of Doom what about that Young Indiana Jones movie/series ? 

Also on the video gaming prequel tip, what about the Street Fighter Alpha series? By extension Street Fighters 4 & 5 can be interpreted as prequels to Street Fighter 3 as well, given the off chronological order that the games take place in. Street Fighter 4 definitely feels more like a sequel to Street Fighter 2 than Street Fighter 3 ended up being given how shortly after the original it takes place. 

Saturday Night Slam Masters/Muscle Bomber could kind of be seen as a prequel to Final Fight as well given that it takes place before Mike Haggar became Mayor of Metro City. 

Art Of Fighting is kind of a prequel to the Fatal Fury series as it involves some of the same characters and takes place a few decades beforehand. 

I think a lot of the problem prequels have is that they try to be too clever for their own good with their "Did you see that? You know what that's going to lead to, don't you? Eh, EH?" and it can be a bit jarring when it derails the course of a movie. I think I preferred the bits in Rogue One where characters from Episode 4 would just turn up in a blink & you'll miss it cameo. 

Does Prey count as a prequel? That one was decent. 

Hello, There are several interesting points about prequels. Let's break it down:

Young Indiana Jones movie/series: Yup, "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" is a TV show that gives us the lowdown on young Indy and how he got to be the adventurous guy we know. It's like a prequel to the original Indiana Jones flicks.

Street Fighter series: Oh yeah, you're spot on! Street Fighter Alpha is all about the prequel vibes, filling us in on the lead-up to the main Street Fighter games. Street Fighter IV and V keep the prequel party going, giving us the backstory leading up to Street Fighter III.

Saturday Night Slam Masters/Muscle Bomber: These games totally set the stage for Final Fight, showing us what went down before Mayor Haggar took charge in Metro City.

Art of Fighting: Bingo! Art of Fighting is like the early days of the Fatal Fury crew, setting the stage a few decades back.

Prequels trying too hard: Yeah, some prequels can get carried away with tying everything to the original, and that can mess up the flow of the story. We need that balance, man, between cool connections and a kick-ass standalone tale.

Prey: The 2017 "Prey" game is more of a reboot than a prequel. It's got the same name as the 2006 game, but they ain't directly connected in the story.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, summon said:

Hello, There are several interesting points about prequels. Let's break it down:

Young Indiana Jones movie/series: Yup, "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" is a TV show that gives us the lowdown on young Indy and how he got to be the adventurous guy we know. It's like a prequel to the original Indiana Jones flicks.

Street Fighter series: Oh yeah, you're spot on! Street Fighter Alpha is all about the prequel vibes, filling us in on the lead-up to the main Street Fighter games. Street Fighter IV and V keep the prequel party going, giving us the backstory leading up to Street Fighter III.

Saturday Night Slam Masters/Muscle Bomber: These games totally set the stage for Final Fight, showing us what went down before Mayor Haggar took charge in Metro City.

Art of Fighting: Bingo! Art of Fighting is like the early days of the Fatal Fury crew, setting the stage a few decades back.

Prequels trying too hard: Yeah, some prequels can get carried away with tying everything to the original, and that can mess up the flow of the story. We need that balance, man, between cool connections and a kick-ass standalone tale.

Prey: The 2017 "Prey" game is more of a reboot than a prequel. It's got the same name as the 2006 game, but they ain't directly connected in the story.

I meant the Disney+ movie Prey, as in the Predator prequel. 

Prey is a great film, the best Predator since Predator 2, so that's a good shout.

I remember Young Indiana Jones being great, it's criminal that Disney haven't managed to secure the rights and add it in with all the other Indy films.

But yeah, I'm struggling to think of straight sequel movies that are as good, or better than the original.  

EDIT: I meant PREQUEL but it's started another interesting discussion!

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Loki said:

But yeah, I'm struggling to think of straight sequel movies that are as good, or better than the original.  

It's revisiting the debate from Scream 2 (Randy tries to claim that they are by definition inferior).

I'd say Terminator 2 is better than the original. 

Aliens is a worthy successor to Alien, but difficult to say whether it's as good, as it's comparing essentially two different genres of movie.

Not seen it, but I know a lot of people say Bad Boys II is better than the first. 

Empire Strikes Back is better than the first film, but it's often argued that it doesn't count because it was part of a planned trilogy (which I think is bollocks, given the points about changing Vader's arc after the success of the first film).

The Dark Knight is definitely better than Batman Begins

Thor: Ragnarok is better than the first two, but the sheer sprawling nature of the MCU films means there will be later instalments better than previous ones, so not sure if they should be counted.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Loki said:

Prey is a great film, the best Predator since Predator 2, so that's a good shout.

I remember Young Indiana Jones being great, it's criminal that Disney haven't managed to secure the rights and add it in with all the other Indy films.

It’s available on the US D+ if you have a VPN. I believe the BBC have some involvement with the rights in the UK which is why it’s not on it here.

1 hour ago, Loki said:

Before Sunset is better than Before Sunrise

And there's an argument Before Midnight is better than both.

They're also films that only work because of what's happened before (I tend to just count them as one film)

A lot of franchises have better later films when they figure out what they're going for or can use all the history to their advantage (on top of Carbombs suggestions you've got later Mission Impossibles, later Fast and Furious, "Logan" as an X-Men film, Toy Story 3 & 4, the Harry Potter directed by Cuaron,

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, organizedkaos said:

X-Men

At the risk of enraging many, if we are going to use comic films as examples....

2 hours ago, Loki said:

X2 is definitely better then X-Men, and depending on who you ask, the best of the 11-13 movies. 13 if you include the Deadpool movies, 11 if you don't.

Spider-Man 2 (Maguire) is definitely better than the first, and depending on who you ask, might be the best Spider-Man film released from the first Maguire one to today.

(Star Wars opinion redacted, I'm not STUPID)

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

I've not seen Days Of Future Past (I've been told it's very good), but I really liked First Class, and I thought it was better than the first and third original X-Men films. It competes with X2 for the best of the main X-Men series, I think. At some point, I really need to get to watching Logan

EDIT: Agreed with Spider-Man 2, but the Tom Holland ones are excellent and easily compete. If you start including the Spider-Verse ones (especially with the universe developments in the new one), then the debate takes on a whole different complexion. 

Edited by Carbomb