AEW Saturday Collision

Hannibal Scorch

1 hour ago, gmoney said:

It seems to be forgotten that the original reason Punk threw his toys out of the pram was because Page went off script in a live promo, and then was reckless enough to chop him in the jaw when he gave him his chest. I'm not surprised Hangman keeps quiet about it. 

Since AEW don't script promos, it's kinda hard to go off one. Punk being one of the few examples when he returned months later and called out Page. Even though it had nothing to do with the segment. 

What Page did was to his face with the ability to respond. Fit in with the narrative of the feud they were in and only picked apart after the fact. 

Page being reckless, it's wrestling. These things unfortunately happen. Punk knew about Page's reputation in the ring. Didn't have a problem with that, except he was paranoid Page was intentionally trying to hurt him. Something Hangman doesn't have a reputation for doing. Nobody cared one jot about the supposed reckless incident for an entire year until the ESPN interview. Which had the internet comb over the match like the Zapruder film 

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Since AEW don't script promos, it's kinda hard to go off one. Punk being one of the few examples when he returned months later and called out Page. Even though it had nothing to do with the segment. 

What Page did was to his face with the ability to respond. Fit in with the narrative of the feud they were in and only picked apart after the fact. 

I think "script" can apply here, even if they were improvising, he clearly brought up something that was outside of what was agreed on live TV. I don't think what he did was reasonable. Nor do I think CM's subsequent meltdown was. 

People seem to be mistaking me bringing this up as some sort of defence of Punk, which it isn't, which perhaps proves Daz's point about favourites. 

I don't think it's helps Punk's case that when he came into AEW he immediately went over the hot young star in the company. When AEW started Omega lost to Jericho, PAC and did a storyline where he was having a bad run. The Bucks were knocked out early in a tournament to crown the first AEW tag champs. 

Instinctively, The Elite feel like they paid dues they didn't have to. 

• Paid Members

Is there anyone not currently getting a featured push that would be a good fit for Collision?

I'm assuming Rush will be a big part of the show going forwards. I love Big Bill (like any sane man) but feel like he'd be better off on Dynamite smashing high flyers. Lee Moriarty is an untapped guy whose really good, I'd like to see him get a decent spot on Collision. Daddy Magic also should be featured, add a bit of much needed fun to the show.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Vamp said:

I don't think it's helps Punk's case that when he came into AEW he immediately went over the hot young star in the company. When AEW started Omega lost to Jericho, PAC and did a storyline where he was having a bad run. The Bucks were knocked out early in a tournament to crown the first AEW tag champs. 

Which was, at the time, a big mistake. Kenny and The Bucks were losing to midcarders before they had been able to establish themselves as the real stars of the show to a new audience. I'd argue that it took months, essentially until the heel turn, for Omega and The Bucks to rescue their bad booking decisions from those early Dynamite shows. 

Punk absolutely should have been beating, if not Darby, then an opponent of Darby's standing, or higher, in that initial match. This was the biggest free agent in wrestling. You don't bring him in to beat a nobody, nor do you bring him in to lose off the bat. Anyone that was annoyed by that need's their head looked at. 

Out of a group of young currently-working wrestlers and an older worker who has ostensibly been out of the ring for 7 years, the latter should be the one taking falls. The Darby call was a mistake in my opinion - it would've been way more interesting from a story perspective to have Punk waxing lyrical about working with young talent and having so much to teach, then walking straight into human bullet Darby and getting obliterated. Not a long drawn-out beating, but a break-neck (almost literally) sprint where Darby murders Punk with suicidal dives and Coffin Drops. I'm all for longer story-telling, as we did get that in Punk's various "can I still go?"-style promos, but the idea of Punk doing the good vet thing and immediately regretting his decision would've been appropriate, hilarious, and engaging.

Without taking sides, one of the oddest things about the whole BTE/Punk debacle is people have been worked into thinking nobody wants to work with CM Punk. 

He's still CM Punk. Throw a bottle in any dressing room and it'll break off someone who would smile and walk over the glass to get to do a main event with him. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members

It’d be interesting to look back and see if a single person was complaining about Punk beating Darby when it happened. I highly doubt there was. It was absolutely the right result. Given the buzz and momentum he and the company had at the time, him losing in his first back match would have been akin to Sami losing at Elimination Chamber or Cody losing at Wrestlemania. The ultimate bollock drop.

And yeah; madness that anyone looks back at that first year of AEW and considers Kenny and The Bucks doing jobs for the boys as anything other than a colossal mistake. It took them forever to recover from that. It was the purest example of how you can’t run a successful promotion being Mr. Nice Guy and trying to placate everyone. The stars need to be stars. If your Hulk Hogans are losing to Billy Kidman, then you just end up with a roster full of Billy Kidmans.

Plus, this idea that returning stars from the past should come in and put over active wrestlers? We’ve got scientific evidence to the contrary.

IMG_5665.thumb.webp.648556eeef2eb2a16977f8058384f5d6.webp

Edited by Supremo

3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Is there anyone not currently getting a featured push that would be a good fit for Collision?

Dustin Rhodes. Yes, he's older; but he offers something completely different in terms of ring style, cuts a good promo and can draw you into a match like few others. He's been underutilised by AEW, in my opinion. There's money in that "one last run" for the guy - and I'd love to see him and Samoa Joe clobber the fuck out of one another in a match. 

Tied into that slightly, I'd like to see Sonny Kiss get utilised more. I really enjoyed Sonny's short-lived tag team with Dustin; but regardless of how, I'd like to see Sonny utilised in some way and given the chance to sink or swim. 

Finally, Athena. Yes, she's getting a featured push on ROH, but what an absolute waste. The fact she is having the run of her life on a show no one watches is just sad. This week on Collision we had Mercedes Martinez vs. Kiera Hogan. The week prior, it was Taya Valkyrie vs. Skye Blue. How on earth can you justify keeping Athena in ROH when that's what you're offering up on one of your main shows?

59 minutes ago, Supremo said:

And yeah; madness that anyone looks back at that first year of AEW and considers Kenny and The Bucks doing jobs for the boys as anything other than a colossal mistake. 

I mean, no one actually said that so...