AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

I was nervous prior to the 'proper' build starting on Dynamite 200 and leaning towards it being house show esque however the card they are building now is very strong for me. It doesn't quite live up to the sort of show I was dreaming of when it was first announced (Omega vs Punk etc) but given where we were a few weeks ago, it is looking like a strong 8/10 for me. 

As an aside, I have one spare seat in section 123, lower tier directly adjacent to the ring and entrance which I am selling. Not interested in making a profit, just want it to go to another fan who can sit in a great seat. It is on twickets now. 

Edited by ligerbomb

4 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

All this thread is demonstrating was AEW couldn't put on the show that pleases everyone.

I was hyped before, but after last night I was elated with the new matches and think the card is going to be an absolute banger.

That's pretty much every AEW PPV thread. As time ticked down from Double or Nothing - Forbidden Door - Blood & Guts/Owen Finals it became clearer we are getting the typical AEW PPV build. Criticisms of those are undefeated.

• Paid Members

AEW have consistently done a good job of presenting multi-man matches - whether stuff like Stadium Stampede or straight trios and tag matches - as being a big deal on the level of a big singles match, so I don't really see any of this stuff as "less than". At least half of Kenny's best matches in AEW were tags with Hangman, or trios matches with the Bucks, so I don't see him not being in a singles as robbing us of anything.

It is weirder having Orange Cassidy in a multi-man - you'd think the International Title would be defended on their first show outside North America - than Omega, if you ask me.

• Paid Members

It's funny, I think if this was at the O2, or a massive arena I don't think any is quibbling about the card. Because they've taken such a big swing and they've booked the biggest venue possible, perhaps it feels strange that the card doesn't have all the red-hot huge matches/big first time encounters/huge feud enders that you might hope for. 

I wonder if TK had hoped when he booked it that the Elite/Punk thing would have resolved itself by now and they could have done some sort of programme with them here. If not, it seems such a weird move to book a WrestleMania sized venue without having a concrete plan, even if the demand clearly exists. 

Regardless, I think it'll be a good show, the in-ring is rarely the issue for AEW, but objectively it feels bonkers to me that the "biggest wrestling event in history" is being headlined by MJF vs Adam Cole. 2023 is weird.  

I think that Stadium Stampede match is such a waste of so many people in it who could/should be in a regular match.

Beyond that though, I don't see much wrong with the lineup.   I don't follow AEW too closely, but there does seem to be some wrestlers missing from the lineup I would have expected to see.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

Bit left field and not certain how it would be brought in to the storyline in such a short space of time, but how about it becoming House of Black Combat Club for the night? Could be a brutal match. 

Mother of God, this would make pretty much zero sense storyline wise but good Lord that would be an absolutely insane match and now I don't want to see anything else.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, The Dart said:

I think that Stadium Stampede match is such a waste of so many people in it who could/should be in a regular match.

Beyond that though, I don't see much wrong with the lineup.   I don't follow AEW too closely, but there does seem to be some wrestlers missing from the lineup I would have expected to see.

Or you have 4 hours to get as many people on your roster the fans want to see. Unless you want a load of 5 minute squash matches, that’s never gonna happen.

• Paid Members

stuff like Stadium Stampede/Anarchy In The Arena is what I want from a card like this. Mad multi-man clusterfuck brawls are what AEW do brilliantly, and completely different to WWE - in WWE, if you're not on camera you don't exist, so half the people in the match would just disappear or do nothing for half of the time, whereas in AEW matches like that, there's something going on no matter where you look and it's complete chaos. That's what you want from a massive show, not just a succession of singles matches.