AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

34 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I'm not saying they could replace WWF/WWE (nowhere in my post did I suggest that), but they could become a name that's brought up alongside them.

And even if there is no chance of that happening, you still miss every shot you don't take. AEW should be leaving the UK with every non-wrestling fan in the country thinking, "So wait...that wasn't WWF then? And they filled Wembley Stadium with 70 thousand people??"

And I didn't say you did. But I still don't think that AEW, at this current level, will be bought up by people talking about wrestling in pubs. I assume we are talking about in casual conversation? 

It'll still be WWE, as it's ingrained. 

And I agree, they should be doing everything they can. People on Sky Sports News, like when WWE come over. On This Morning. On The One Show. On BBC Breakfast. But I still don't think that will be enough to have them bought up alongside WWE. And to be honest I don't think they need to be. They could probably come over once a year and sell out a massive venue every time. That's probably enough for them.

But its just my opinion. 

I also think this merch situation is ridiculous. They have a one off opportunity to clean up big time with a captive audience and it sounds like they have fucked it.

Still, at least you'll have the Wembley way hawkers shouting "Orange Kennedy!!! Get ya Orange Kennedy t shirts!!!" for a tenner. Every cloud...

AEW as a name has always felt like if DX or NWO created their own promotion and named it after themselves, or like one of those hundred or so Japanese promotions that have broken off from bigger ones and built themselves around a faction. 

You've also got to think that it's a name they at least intended to outlive. Like, at best, they eventually retire and you're named after a group of retired wrestlers. At worse, you have a disagreement, they leave, and you're All Elite Wrestling without the Elite. 

• Paid Members

I think the name is generic enough without having to be tied to the Elite as a stable, though. It's not like they've called themselves  Bullet Club Pro Wrestling, the All part of the name can very easily be argued to suggest that the entire roster is "elite" and that's what it means.

• Paid Members

On the branding point, I mentioned earlier that Paul Wight had been doing some press.

Basically every single headline generated from it refers to him as a "WWE legend" and as The Big Show. The articles will refer to AEW towards the end, but at that top level it's not getting the branding push it needs.

Screenshot_20230726_162625_Chrome.jpg

24 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

On the branding point, I mentioned earlier that Paul Wight had been doing some press.

Basically every single headline generated from it refers to him as a "WWE legend" and as The Big Show. The articles will refer to AEW towards the end, but at that top level it's not getting the branding push it needs.

Screenshot_20230726_162625_Chrome.jpg

That's surely to be expected when you send out to the press an ex-wrestler who spent 20 years with WWE, who's also a physical freak. There's a load more angles that immediately jump to a jobbing journo's mind there than whether the guy's bosses have booked Wembley.

• Paid Members

My mum rather generously paid for my travel to and from London that weekend. I'm going from Preston as its about £8 cheaper than if I go from Blackburn, and it's only £2 on the bus to the there and back at the moment. Coming back I've managed to save a tenner by "changing trains" at Coventry, even though I don't have to physically change trains. It's just stupid. Found somebody selling a Sting t-shirt online as well, which will do me nicely. It's celebrating his title with at the 1990 Great American Bash as well, so right up my alley. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

5 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Sorry, but this is unachievable based off one event. You could have Orange Cassidy present The One Show for a month, and WWE would STILL be the number one brand whenever wrestling is 'brought up at the pub' as it has over 30 odd years of exposure over here, and is the biggest brand in the world. 

I know lots of people that know I like wrestling and they often ask me about it, and they still always just bring up WWE and not AEW. It's just not there yet.

It just cannot compete on that level. I'm not saying it couldn't after it's own level of longevity and exposure, but that's just mad talk mate.

I'd actually watch The One Show if Orange was presenting alongside Rene Paquette

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Coming back I've managed to save a tenner by "changing trains" at Coventry,

Missed a trick there, Coventry is close enough to Birmingham to make the same joke others have already made.

• Paid Members

It's the same train, just two tickets as Lond-Coventry and Coventry-Preston is cheaper than London-Preston.