TNA… Cross the Line again

garynysmon

• Paid Members

Its a good fit to be honest. They have some name value to them, are talented and work better with smaller more passionate crowds about the product. Always felt they'd be swallowed up by the bigger WWE shows as they haven't the outward confidence of say Pretty Deadly, but them with the likes of Subculture, Rascalz, ABC etc makes for a really good division on the relaunch.

The TNA Impact! show is really worth catching this week, it's a compilation of great moments in TNA history, including the first ever TNA match (Styles, Lynn and Low Ki v Flying Elvises) and the first Kim-Kong match.

Blimey, TNA has a good match archive.  Of particular interest to me was Nash, Angle, Chono and Choshu v Bernard, Anderson, Ishi and Iizuka.  Answering my long-held desire to see good-in-Japan Bernard v Big Sexy.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Loki said:

Blimey, TNA has a good match archive.

God almighty, this is an understatement. Narrowing "prime TNA" down to a specific era is even a challenge. My own preference is for, if I really narrow it down, Turning Point 04-Destination X 2006 (IIRC, whenever the Joe/Daniels/AJ rematch was). Fuelled by TNA nostalgia and trying to stay unspoiled for the Sunday teatime airing of the latest PPV.

Not televised, obviously, but I'll always look back fondly on going to the first three legs of the 2008 tour as some of the most fun I've had "on the road." I remember taking a breath in after Motor City Machine Guns challenging LAX for the tag belts on the first night in Liverpool and thinking "Well, that was one of the best matches I've ever seen live" .... it was the first match. Set the tone nicely.

To paraphrase Alex Shelley's old entrance theme.... whatever happened to my TNA??

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Loki said:

The TNA Impact! show is really worth catching this week, it's a compilation of great moments in TNA history, including the first ever TNA match (Styles, Lynn and Low Ki v Flying Elvises) and the first Kim-Kong match.

While clearly it makes sense to showcase classic TNA now, for a while now I’ve found the over reliance on archive material to be to the detriment of modern day weekly TV.

There was a point they had a terrible habbit of filling 10-15 minutes of the weekly TV show with ‘classic moment of the week’.  While maybe a good idea on paper, I always thought it made the current stuff look weak when you panned from a packed soundstage with the best sound and lighting featuring the biggest names of the day, to a dimly lit hall with nowhere near the star power.

Having a rich archive is a good thing but its not always a bright idea to remind your audience just how much better you used to be.

I’m incredibly nervous about the relaunch tbh. I think there are too many people expecting the TNA of old, which is impossible for many reasons.

This is TNA on Anthem/Impact Wrestling money, not Panda Energy money.

During TNA’s heyday, rising from the ashes of WCW, WWE was in a creative slump and wrestlers had nowhere else to go, WWE were only hiring a certain kind of talent so TNA could hire good workers relatively cheaply.

While I have no doubt that the budget will be bigger and the TV will look better post-January, I doubt it’ll be revolutionary.

Nowadays its a wrestler’s dream marketplace. There’s WWE, the ‘coca cola of wrestling’ and there’s AEW, owned by the geeky son of a billionaire who’s always looking to add to his roster of 140 odd wrestlers. Its an inflated marketplace, wrestlers can command big money.

Its well publicised that TNA (over?)stretched themselves to offer Punk and Ospreay $1m a year deals and it got them nothing but egg on their face. They’re a levereging tool to get a better offer from where they really want to go.

Five years ago that would have got you a lot, now it might get you a released WWE midcarder as long as AEW doesn’t want them.

Scott D’amore better have something big up his sleeve because “you’ll never believe who’s turning up” type claims raises expectation.

There is no one obvious other than Sasha Banks and her demands are in a different stratosphere.

Dolph Ziggler, days after appearing on New Japan, or Matt fucking Riddle, who’s signed with the wrong’un whisperer, Court Bauer, won’t cut it.

Now Trinity is apparently off to WWE and Deonna Purazzo has signed for AEW. Not the best look, on the eve of your big show, when you’re solely seen as a place to rehab careers only for wrestlers to leave the first chance they get.

Edited by garynysmon