• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Nick James said:

That MJF promo is really going to divide opinion.

I don't think it'll divide opinion. Surely everyone will agree that it was absolutely awful. Why MJF thinks a story about crashing his car as a teenager will convince people to see him vs Danielson on PPV I have no idea.

Also someone reversing a top rope clothesline by backflipping onto their feet, no selling it and immediately going into a forearm exchange would piss me off normally but you're sneaky, cheating, cowardly heel Champion doing it is unforgivable.

On the other side of the coin, absolutely star making performance from Rush here. He was absolutely brilliant. He came across as the nastiest, most violent and most dangerous guy on the roster. He even managed to convince me for a moment that Danielson might lose this match. AEW has a bit of a credible heel shortage so they need to strap a rocket to Rush and push this guy to the moon.

Props to Jericho for killing off Ricky Starks momentum so quickly. This story is so bad and pointless. Starks has already beaten Jericho...why are we supposed to care if he gets another match? Absolutely nothing going on here.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

I think everyone has lost their minds after Cody’s promo on Monday.

MJF wasn’t trying to sell his match on a PPV with weeks left to go. He had a great match and cut a promo to just make sure everyone remembers what a despicable human he is. There was nothing deep about it, just reminding people don’t cheer for me.

The rest of the show, outside of the Starks match which feels like complete water treading at this point was great. 

The Gunn club winning led to many angry AEW fans on twitter saying Tony Khan has lost it. Won’t be saying it when FTR smash them on PPV next month.

Another episode of Dynamite that just wasn't for me. Good, but entirely predictable matches - outside of the main event, which wasn't good; although I'd argue that its placement still made it predictable.  

When people defend the approach Tony Khan is taking right now - I'd point to the fact that AEW, when it was at its best (pre-Revolution 2022), it didn't tell its stories in this way; and had a great mix of in ring stuff and strong angles. Everything feels so cold right now. This time last year, I'd never have expected that WWE would be the company producing deep, intelligent stories; while AEW resorts to jokes about wrestlers being gay and casual misogyny. 

Firstly, the MJF promo. I thought it was stupid. Aside from the content, outright trying to prove to people you're a scumbag by literally saying "I'm a scumbag because..." is such an ill-thought out way to present a heel. The best villains don't explicitly tell you they're a villain, then try to qualify it - they show you through their actions. MJF has been a terrible champion so far. 

Secondly - the trios titles, in my opinion, are a really detrimental addition to the show. So much top talent is wrapped up in this division. Kenny Omega would be better off in a singles feud, The Bucks would be better off back in the tag division; same goes for Penta and Fenix (although I'd argue they're better off as singles stars). Malaki Black felt red hot when he had his feud with Cody, and Brody King felt like a big deal when he had his feud with Moxley. 

It's also left the tag division in quite the state. The top team in the company is now The Gunn Club?? I don't actually mind the Gunns, but it feels like a massive drop-off from the days of Penta and Fenix's tremendous cage match with The Bucks, and the suggestion that the tag belts could be main eventing PPVs. 

It's not so much that AEW is bad right now, it's just...boring. 

In reference to Eddie, and I'm a fan of his too but, these problems that have occurred over the last 12 - 18 months or so, do all seem to have one common denominator. And that's Kingston himself.

If the guy needs help, then he needs help. But somebody should be recognising this and putting him in the best place possible. 

I'm not intending for this to create a sidebar discussion but where this, say a CM Punk or someone of that ilk, we'd all be jumping on them as being pricks. Eddie's stock shouldn't give him a pass, as talented as he is. Once or twice blowing up in a blue moon, hey, shit happens. But his name seems to fairly regularly linked to some shit storm or another.

Work or not, I hope he focuses on himself because the guy is one hell of a talented dude. Be a shame for him to not realise his potential based on a short fuse (regardless of the what, why's and when's).

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

The Acclaimed losing the titles could be a smart move, if they stay on top they risk getting stale but you put them back in the title chase and it'll hopefully keep them fresh.

Also, they couldn’t lose them to an FTR or a Penta/Fenix because that would turn a crowd against them for beating their beloved Acclaimed. This is smart booking 

21 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

The Acclaimed losing the titles could be a smart move, if they stay on top they risk getting stale but you put them back in the title chase and it'll hopefully keep them fresh.

FTR beat The Gunns and take the titles. Acclaimed v FTR will be a great little feud and may well bring out some extra layers with Billy Gunn being a bit like 'you need to outwrestle these guys to win the titles off them'. Sort of 'when I was your age I was learning the art of wrestling and being a pure wrestler. You guys have got to find another level to beat FTR and I'm going to show you how' and maybe bring in some of the other legends to sort of help train them. Gives FTR total legitimacy as a team that are not easy to beat and the Acclaimed can develop their characters and skills.

What you do with the Gunns I'm not sure, perhaps chuck them in with some of the better midcard/lower upper card teams like Death Triangle for the time being? 

Edited by Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete

13 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Also, they couldn’t lose them to an FTR or a Penta/Fenix because that would turn a crowd against them for beating their beloved Acclaimed. This is smart booking 

Is it really, though? Who said they had to lose the titles now in the first place?

The Acclaimed had already shown that they are more than capable of wrestling exciting matches. However, they'd also shown that they were more than capable of carrying lengthy talking segments, and that there was more to them than the rap gimmick. A lengthy title run would have allowed them to build on that depth, and also have exciting matches and feuds against some of the top tag teams in the company. Let them show what they can do before, perhaps, exploring their potential as singles stars. 

In addition, I think you're reaching a bit here. If anything, the crowd would be split throughout the match, and I think it's highly unlikely that the crowd would turn on either of the examples you give, if they beat The Acclaimed. Has something like that ever happened in AEW, when it comes to a title change? If it has, I certainly don't remember it. 

"Smart booking" would have been building up a strong opponent for The Acclaimed, before building to a highly anticipated PPV or television match, or ensuring that; when you have assembled one of the best ever tag divisions in wrestling, you don't severely dilute it by introducing a trios division. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Is it really, though? Who said they had to lose the titles now in the first place?

The Acclaimed had already shown that they are more than capable of wrestling exciting matches. However, they'd also shown that they were more than capable of carrying lengthy talking segments, and that there was more to them than the rap gimmick. A lengthy title run would have allowed them to build on that depth, and also have exciting matches and feuds against some of the top tag teams in the company. Let them show what they can do before, perhaps, exploring their potential as singles stars. 

In addition, I think you're reaching a bit here. If anything, the crowd would be split throughout the match, and I think it's highly unlikely that the crowd would turn on either of the examples you give, if they beat The Acclaimed. Has something like that ever happened in AEW, when it comes to a title change? If it has, I certainly don't remember it. 

"Smart booking" would have been building up a strong opponent for The Acclaimed, before building to a highly anticipated PPV or television match, or ensuring that; when you have assembled one of the best ever tag divisions in wrestling, you don't severely dilute it by introducing a trios division. 

AEW have the opposite problem to WWE. They have multiple Tag Teams people actually care about. No reason not to do this at all.

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I think everyone has lost their minds after Cody’s promo on Monday.

MJF wasn’t trying to sell his match on a PPV with weeks left to go. He had a great match and cut a promo to just make sure everyone remembers what a despicable human he is. There was nothing deep about it, just reminding people don’t cheer for me.

With or without Cody's promo, the MJF one was shit.

As someone who I hoped would go from strength to strength I've really lost interest in him and whatever he's doing since he's been champ which is a shame.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

According to Reddit MJF's promo was just the plot to an episode of The Simpsons, and apparently for the most part it is.

https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Co-Dependent's_Day

I doubt that's intentional, it's a pretty basic example of shithead behaviour - Regal told a story on his podcast about being in an accident with a drunk-driver before a WCW show, and that the driver swapped places with his son so that he didn't get caught drink-driving. It was a shitty promo that did nothing to sell the match, but I doubt it was ripping off a late stage Simpsons episode so much as "Simpsons did it"/"Simpsons predicted it" being a thing because the Simpsons has been going on long enough to cover practically anything you can think of.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

The one thing I really did notice on this show, was just how much star power the Bucks and Kenny have. It was maybe more noticeable on a show without Mox or Hangman, but as soon as they walked out, it really felt like 'No the stars are here'. I was never a Young Bucks fan, I didn't get them or enjoy their stuff prior to AEW, but I think its safe to say I am 100% a fan of their now, same with Kenny. 

I was watching a few clips yesterday from Pandemic Dailys Place era AEW and forgot just how different they felt. Just lightning in a bottle stuff, sure there was some duff moments (Matt Hardy im looking at you), but it really felt fresh, exciting and different. I am still enjoying watching AEW, but it doesn't feel 'must see' at the moment. In ring, its phenomenal, really good matches constantly. Maybe its time to get Kenny back on top and let him and the Bucks get back to booking their own shit. 

Although, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to call me a hater or to say how wrong I am. 

I don't have a problem with The Gunns winning. Depends where it's going. If they're going through to Revolution and win them back it keeps things more interesting than The Acclaimed being champs all the way.

On here and on Twitter i've seen people jump right to FTR v. Gunns. Then FTR v. Acclaimed at some point. That I don't agree with.

Overall, quite enjoyed the show as usual. Lowlights were Storm & Saraya. Since Rampage i've seen the talk go from ex-WWE v. Originals. To mentions of the Outsiders and Hall & Nash. Which is something they seem to be leaning into and it just comes off as Stone Cold Shark Boy & Black Machismo. A parody.

And of course the JAS/Starks segment. Everyone knew it at the time this would kill off Starks momentum. It's tedious.

MJF's promo. I was caught thinking "didn't your football team hate you & bully you? Now you're one of the boys and typical sleazy jock". It was already in poor taste, but once it became clear it was about a car accident. It turned me off to it even more considering recent events with Jay Briscoe.

The Road to Revolution can start building from here so i'm hoping things will get more interesting. Got to figure out what's happening with Cole. When the show was announced for SF, people had hopes for Hobbs as he's local. Currently he's the Librarian without the shushing. The Elite need something to do although I can see it be a random "dream" exhibition trio from NJPW or the indies.  Get ready for all the Face of the Revolution ladder match qualifiers that are bound to take place.