Pete's 2023 Breaking Death News Thread

Gus Mears

People can argue whether Friends is a good sitcom or not (IMO it is) but one thing that cannot be denied is just how good the actors were at comedic acting, Matthew Perry being the best of them.

He was incredible in that role, and the show and the characters are remembered so fondly for a reason. 

That is a genuinely shocking death.

• Paid Members

Shocking news. He'd had his demons, but was definitely the best character in Friends. Essential viewing in the 90s. 54 is no age. 

Ah that's just terribly sad. Friends had a huge impact on the world and people's lives back in the day. They all became huge stars.

Perry was also great in an early episode of 90210 and I really enjoyed The Whole Nine Yards. Terribly sad loss in such circumstances and such an age. 

Adam Johnson of the Nottingham Panthers ice hockey team died overnight following an incident at the game v Sheffield Steelers. A Steelers player was going to make a check but slipped and and accidentally caught Johnson in the neck with his skate blade and his injuries were so severe he died in hospital 

Daily Mail link for reference. Ignore the diabolical reporting contained in the article and its the Daily Fail

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12685037/American-ice-hockey-Adam-Johnson-diesthroat-slashed-skate-UK-mother.html

Edited by Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete

14 minutes ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

Adam Johnson of the Nottingham Panthers ice hockey team died overnight following an incident at the game v Sheffield Steelers. A Steelers player was going to make a check but slipped and and accidentally caught Johnson in the neck with his skate blade and his injuries were so severe he died in hospital 

Good grief!!!!

44 minutes ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

That is just horrific. What an awful thing to happen, and I can't imagine what kind of impact it must be having on the Steelers player.

2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

People can argue whether Friends is a good sitcom or not (IMO it is) but one thing that cannot be denied is just how good the actors were at comedic acting, Matthew Perry being the best of them.

He was incredible in that role, and the show and the characters are remembered so fondly for a reason. 

That is a genuinely shocking death.

For me it wasn't just the comedic timing but the fact they could've all just been seen as nasty one dimensional people in one way or another but their performances elevated it far beyond that. It made the emotional moments work well. It never felt like it was just a bunch of actors working together. They absolutely nailed their differences but also the "Friends" part. You believed that you were watching a friendship group. And Chandler especially for me could've been read as a horrible person on paper but Perry not only nailed the timing but often gave the character just enough depth that he appealed to many people in different ways. He was a flawed guy just trying to do his best and wanting to be happy. Ironically much like Perry himself.

I'm not sure if it's revisionist for people to look back and say it was shit because I don't really remember opinions on it at the time but I've always felt if a sitcom can become a massive part of culture like that and succeed for so many years then it must be doing something right. Especially when so many comedies get cancelled after a year or so in America. Its a damn tough one to crack but they absolutely fucking perfected it. And it wasn't just big in America either like quite a few shows. They managed to find an incredible balance of humour and heart that appealed worldwide. Again - not something you do if you're shit.

I'm gutted about his death. The Friends reunion was really special but so sad too knowing what he'd been through. And it's another one of those cases where you look at fame and think at what cost. It makes me sad knowing he brought so much to so many but had it really tough over the years. Its a common journey so many in the spotlight go through.

Sorry for being a double post but very sad news about Matthew Perry. He was too young to die, I've seen mixed reports that say he had a heartattack then drowned and some say just drowned. Either way it seems very sad that someone so loved by millions died alone.

26 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I'm not sure if it's revisionist for people to look back and say it was shit because I don't really remember opinions on it at the time

There was a lot of people who thought it was shit at the time, myself included. However I’m sure some on that could be put down to “It’s popular therefore I hate it”. I actually softened over the years, whilst I don’t consider myself a fan, there were some excellent comedic moments and I always do well when it’s a topic on quiz shows and the like. It was always on and everyone can remember something from it. 

• Paid Members

Culturally it’s arguably the most significant sitcom or TV show of our generation. Not saying it’s the best but I don’t see any Cafe Nervosa coffee mug sets every christmas.

I think a lot of people will be gutted any time anyone from this passes because it was a huge part of our culture for a long time. Women getting “The Rachel” or every single person on earth knowing the theme song and catchphrases. 

Very sad to see him die so young. RIP Chanandler Bong.

Shocked by Perry. Friends is the greatest comedown show ever. Replace 'comedown' with 'just having a really shit day' these days. I could sit and list the reasons why, but it's so easygoing I'm not particularly fucked about defending its obvious charm and attraction. It's just the most pleasant, safe sitcom ever. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

Daily Mail link for reference. Ignore the diabolical reporting contained in the article and its the Daily Fail

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12685037/American-ice-hockey-Adam-Johnson-diesthroat-slashed-skate-UK-mother.html

That's terrible.