The AEW / ROH Brand Split... Whose going where?

andrew "the ref" coyne

• Paid Members

Considering how open he usually is about business metrics, I'd love for someone to ask Tony what the point in any of this is.

He already has Dark and Dark Elevation to host tryouts, give young talent reps and experiment with new ideas. And we've already seen with the decline in quality on Rampage that he's spread too thin writing three hours a week. What state is the ROH show going to be in if it's the last thing he books on Friday afternoon before catching the last bus?

I just don't see where the benefit is. Are there really a large amount of people who'll be willing to pay to watch the ROH TV show exclusively? We saw what happened when Rampage became the ROH show. People abandoned it in droves.

Honestly, at this point I'm convinced it's a case of buyer's remorse and Tony just doesn't want to admit he's wasted his money. The only reason I would even bother with an ROH TV show at this point is to build a reasonable roster up for eight to ten months in order to do the Invasion angle he should've done in the first place.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Fair enough. On that subject though, other than the Briscoes - for obvious reasons - I'm not convinced it'll be a particularly strict roster split. For instance, whenever an ROH pay per view comes along, are they really going to promote it exclusively on the show behind a paywall, and not in front of the hundreds of thousands watching on Wednesday? They'd be crazy to do so.

But yeah, I'd mainly just like to see the scrubs carted off. Matt Hardy seems determined to start the Broken thing up again. Send him to ROH! Let him do what he wants!

16 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Are there really a large amount of people who'll be willing to pay to watch the ROH TV show exclusively?

What's considered a large amount? HonorClub isn't a new thing after all. Sinclair was only domestic  to the US (could still be watched on HonorClub anyway) and everything international was HonorClub and it's predecessor. It wasn't the cost of a streaming service that saw Sinclair wanted to cut ties. It was the rising talent costs and production of events.

Then there's the NJPWworld, StardomWorld, Wrestle Universe and other lesser streamers out there.

17 minutes ago, Supremo said:

We saw what happened when Rampage became the ROH show. People abandoned it in droves.

They didn't though. If you can look back on the year's ratings history and pluck out which shows were ROH related you'd have a heck of a memory. The rot of falling below 500k happened started before ROH's inclusion.

• Paid Members

@Supremo Yeah, I'd agree with all that. I don't expect to see them adhere to a proper roster split either. RoH will need some decent names and AEW won't want to lose those from their TV.

I'm just not going to watch a paywalled RoH so can't really say who I'd like to see on their roster because the temptation to list off names that I don't want to see on AEW would be too great.

Edited by Arch Stanton

It's a chance for people who are ready to take the next step in their career but unfortunately there isn't that opportunity in AEW because that level is already loaded. So I'd rather look at moving people who could benefit from it rather than people who don't entertain me.

Somebody like Jungle Boy, who is now ready to break out as Jack Perry and move away from the Jurassic Express storyline but can't find a way into the main event just yet and it looks like the TNT Title looks like it's going to be building towards another Wardlow/Joe match. So what does Jack do without becoming stale? He could still feud with Joe over the ROH TV title or even challenge for their world title.

Dustin Rhodes, as somebody who has already announced his retirement for next year and people would like to see go on a world title run this may be an easier opportunity than the top prize in AEW. A decent run over the first couple of months of 2023 leading to him winning the title with the stipulation of every time he defends the ROH championship, he also puts his career on the line. And then when Kenny Omega is AEW champion again around this time next year, he can go belt collecting again and defeat Dustin for the ROH world title adding an extra layer to the eventual feud between Kenny and Cody when the younger Rhodes returns to AEW.

Rumour is that Miro is fit and healthy again but isn't happy with the storylines he's being offered. Well fuck him off to ROH for a while where he can just go on a monster heel run as their champion. We know how good a champion he can be, his TNT Title run was one of the best championship reigns AEW has produced. It could also give ROH a familiar face as champion (as Claudio is) but not quite their typical style of champion. 

The Ass Boys are being wasted in The Firm just when it looked like they were starting to be more than just Billy Gunn's kids. The feud with the Acclaimed obviously had it's usual AEW head-scratching moments but it was enjoyable overall. And then they got saddled with The Firm, which isn't benefitting anybody. But there isn't an obvious direction for them to go in AEW, so a change of scenery and different opponents could let them continue to develop into their own character rather than the offspring of Billy Gunn. 

A ready made storyline is the return of Adam Cole now that ROH has it's own show again. As the man who has held the ROH world title more than anybody else, it'd make sense that he'd want to be the man who carries the torch in it's latest incarnation. New ROH or not, it's still Adam Cole who runs the place. 

John Silver has completely gone off the boil in AEW, as has the Dark Order on the whole, and I think he'd benefit a lot from being a constant focal point of ROH. AEW can't really find a place for him right now and it seems a shame to see somebody as good and popular as him wasted on the sidelines. Now while ROH may not have as many viewers as AEW, I still think Silver would benefit from it - especially if AEW aren't planning on doing anything more with him or Dark Order. 

I think you could name any number of the women on AEW's books who'd benefit from swapping over to ROH for a while but top of the list for me is Anna Jay because she has improved a lot from her earliest days with AEW but isn't near the standard yet of dethroning Jade or Jamie. And while she's pissing about with the JAS, she isn't doing anything meaningful. She also really doesn't have much purpose to being there other than being Tay's mate. So let her go to ROH and develop both in and out of the ring a bit more then bring her back.

Flip a coin for either of the Lucha Bros who could both benefit from a split but if push come to shove I'd lean more towards Fenix, who could really wow the ROH crowd. After this best of seven series with the Elite, there's not much left for Death Triangle other than a feud with each other. An implosion could see him off AEW telly and leave Penta and PAC to remain a dastardly heel duo. Something AEW don't have enough of. And like I say, once the best of seven series is over, Death Triangle or the Lucha Bros as a tag team will probably go back to doing very little until their next feud with the Elite/Bucks while Excalibur tells us who the older and younger brothers are. A separation of the Lucha Bros could benefit both wrestlers and both companies. 

A bit like Jack Perry, Darby Allin, is in a position of nothingness at the minute. I know he's just had a shot at the TNT title with Joe but doesn't look like he's going anywhere. There'll always find a place for him any card because of his uniqueness and gimmick matches but it doesn't feel like much matters with him anymore. So taking him away from AEW for a while and giving him a push to the top of ROH's card might be just what he needs to get the spark back. 

The thing about moving some of these guys over to ROH if there's not room for them to be pushed in AEW is do they really benefit in the long run? What happens when there's still no room in AEW? Shifting them over to ROH doesn't really fix their booking problems in AEW. Or are we relying on everyone also watching ROH so that when they come back it'll be like wow!

58 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Someone like Darby would benefit in ROH. He needs to build back some of the momentum he had. He seems to lose ALL the time these days.

The thing is, why would he want to move there? The same goes for a good number of the wrestlers suggested. Unless you signed a contract that made it explicit that you would move over to ROH, why would anyone want to move from a national TV show to a streaming service that will be seen by a handful?

And Tony Khan can't exactly say "well, tough shit!" to that, given that anyone of note in AEW could very well be signed by Triple H's WWE once their contracts expire. Would he be interested in Darby? I imagine so. Same goes for Jungle Boy, Miro, Anna Jay, Fenix and basically anyone who has any obvious upside. He's not going to want to make them unhappy. 

Edited by RedRooster