Chris B

Omega was just there to rescue the dog. He's a hero. I remember when he carried Okada to a 5 star match. Nobody else could have done that. He's just so clever and brilliant and heroic. He can do no wrong. He's like Punk circa 2011. 

Even before this properly kicked off I was thinking about the reports that Adam Page doesn't "take advice from veterans" and I'm wondering if this is more sour grapes from prideful old farts who think everyone should listen to every word they say and it's actually a bit more nuanced from Hangman's side.

The old ways of showing total deference to your elders regardless is over.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Even before this properly kicked off I was thinking about the reports that Adam Page doesn't "take advice from veterans" and I'm wondering if this is more sour grapes from prideful old farts who think everyone should listen to every word they say and it's actually a bit more nuanced from Hangman's side.

I dunno, the quote that's going around makes him sound pretty ignorant to be honest, but maybe it just sounds like that out of context. It's not like he's so good he doesn't need help, he floundered badly as champ and I reckon he could do with a guide. Not from Punk though!

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

The quote is from a Q&A he did; if you watch the video (I think Bixenspan tweeted it), it's clearly a bit of a joke at his own expense - he's asked what's the best advice he's received from any of the veterans in AEW, and kind of laughs at himself in saying that he doesn't really take advice, he prepares to make mistakes and learn from them. It's clearly a bit self-detrimental, and a mental thing for CM Punk to have had any opinion on at all, let alone get himself so wound up over.

Hangman got stuck with AEW's post-win Kane feud in Archer (which is a shame, because I like Archer, but realistically...), had no follow-up angle with the Elite, and had new toys Danielson and Punk pushed above him on the card as the stars of the show. The story they looked like they were trying to tell - of Hangman finding himself out of his depth but stepping up to the plate every time (the deathmatch with Archer, 90 minutes with Danielson) until he was comfortable enough to call on that experience to face down his rivals (deathmatch vs Cole) while still giving the up-and-comers in AEW's own a chance to test him (Dante), becoming and earning himself the right to call himself the face of AEW - was completely buried, leading to leaps in logic like the promo vs Punk which hadn't been given the TV to actually develop. Then they took the title off him and forgot about him.

I swear, AEW not pulling the trigger and having Page lose that first title match vs Omega, when he was absolutely red fucking hot, was the start of the current slide. Trying to work out if the current situation is a work or not is just exhausting because nobody would care if the show was hot, but it's not. It's well off the boil, and shooty bollocks, or even the whiff of shooty bollocks, is just throwing more ice on it.

11 minutes ago, TheDude said:

Hangman isn't World Champ material. Nothing wrong with that. But not every lad has to be THE GUY just because he's got a following online.

The PPV on which the peak of the story of him becoming champion took place did 145,000 buys, bringing in $4m. Only All Out 2021 did better. Hangman isn't just some guy the internet loves.

5 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

Hangman got stuck with AEW's post-win Kane feud in Archer (which is a shame, because I like Archer, but realistically...), had no follow-up angle with the Elite, and had new toys Danielson and Punk pushed above him on the card as the stars of the show. The story they looked like they were trying to tell - of Hangman finding himself out of his depth but stepping up to the plate every time (the deathmatch with Archer, 90 minutes with Danielson) until he was comfortable enough to call on that experience to face down his rivals (deathmatch vs Cole) while still giving the up-and-comers in AEW's own a chance to test him (Dante), becoming and earning himself the right to call himself the face of AEW - was completely buried, leading to leaps in logic like the promo vs Punk which hadn't been given the TV to actually develop. Then they took the title off him and forgot about him.

I swear, AEW not pulling the trigger and having Page lose that first title match vs Omega, when he was absolutely red fucking hot, was the start of the current slide. Trying to work out if the current situation is a work or not is just exhausting because nobody would care if the show was hot, but it's not. It's well off the boil, and shooty bollocks, or even the whiff of shooty bollocks, is just throwing more ice on it.

He only had one title match with Omega. The match he lost was the 10 man match to make him #1 contender. I haven’t seen anyone other then he reply bots on twitter who thinks all this is a work, you don’t strip 2 titles without explanation to your tv audience who are your main money making market as some kinda over elaborate storytelling. 

Edited by Louch

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

I swear, AEW not pulling the trigger and having Page lose that first title match vs Omega, when he was absolutely red fucking hot, was the start of the current slide. 

Looking back at that, I wonder if plans changed - it feels like they moved things around because of Punk, and the match got moved back.