UKFF FPLs 2022-23

Fog Dude

The Fantasy League gameweek isn't over until the match at The Emirates finishes, so we'll get to that in a day or two.

===

On the Predictions League front, I managed to squeeze in an update to the original post before dashing out on a whim to a SuperBowl party on Sunday night, just to remind myself why I don't do social gatherings very often. 

So I've mostly been recovering from that during my spare time and didn't get around to figuring out the table until yesterday. Bit of a poor turnout again, without the excuse that it was a Cup weekend or international round. Were some people perhaps prioritising the NFL this time? 

Some decent scoring from those who played, but the only movement involved ultimo leapfrogging late picker Seph, who nonetheless still has a 15-point cushion over the bottom half of the standings. Stinky didn't play, but luckily for him MVP RULZ was only able to extend his lead at the top to 4 points. 

Shy Dad got his D2D bet right as Sankt Pauli produced something of a surprise against former regular European qualifiers Kaiserslautern. All 7 other participants wrongly disagreed with him, meaning he's closed the gap on Vegeta to just 4 points as well and given himself a fighting chance of not finishing last. 

The 'wildcard' fixture was chosen as match #7 that did for Well's manager at Starks Park. A few people guessed the scoreline exactly in reverse (i.e. 1-3) but nobody got it spot on, so Rory and ultimo take home a bonus point each for at least foreseeing the upset in Kirkcaldy. 

Elsewhere, wins for Fulham, Wolves, Man Utd, Kilmarnock, Barcelona and Porto – all but one of them on the road – plus a score draw in the "mustn't-call-it-the-M32-derby" derby all proved fruitful, but an emphatic victory for Leicester caught absolutely everyone cold. 

A new set of 10, including yet another D2D, will go into the opening post shortly.

1 hour ago, MVP RULZ said:

@Fog DudeI think my score of 3 is wrong

I got Fulham, Man Utd, Barcelona, Porto winning correct and got the exact score of Crystal Palace vs Brighton correct also

Just scrolled back to your picks, and right you are. I can see that straight away, so I was obviously completely out of it when I checked your scores the other night. If I'm making that kind of error now, then we've got absolutely no hope when the Easter double week comes around!

Will update the classification accordingly and link to that in my next post.

Unfortunately for the title race, this means you can scratch what I said about it being a good week for Stinky Dad to miss.

Week 29 fixtures 

Premier League

Brentford 1-0 Crystal Palace
Brighton & Hove Albion 2-1 Fulham
Chelsea 2-0 Southampton
Everton 1-1 Leeds United
Nottingham Forest 0-3 Manchester City
Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-1 Bournemouth
Newcastle United 0-1 Liverpool w/seph (17:30) 

Serie A
Monza 0-1 AC Milan (17:00)
Salernitana 0-2 Lazio (Sunday 14:00)
Spezia 0-2 Juventus (Sunday 17:00)

Week 29 fixtures 

Premier League

Brentford 2-1 Crystal Palace
Brighton & Hove Albion 1-2 Fulham
Chelsea 2-0 Southampton
Everton 2-1 Leeds United
Newcastle United 0-3 Liverpool w/seph (17:30) 

Serie A
Monza 0-2 AC Milan (17:00)

All games take place on Saturday and kick off at 15:00 unless stated. Start times are listed in GMT. 

===

Premier League

Brentford 1 v 1 Crystal Palace
Brighton & Hove Albion 1 v 1 Fulham
Chelsea 2 v 1 Southampton
Everton 1 v 2 Leeds United
Nottingham Forest 0 v 2 Manchester City
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 v 0 Bournemouth
Newcastle United 1 v 2 Liverpool w/seph (17:30) 

Serie A
Monza 0 v 2 AC Milan (17:00)
Salernitana 1 v 2 Lazio (Sunday 14:00)
Spezia 0 v 3 Juventus (Sunday 17:00)

So here's the proper table update with a few things corrected now. I think even with those mistakes, we still had a better round than VAR did last weekend. Anyhow, time for my own picks:

Premier League

Brentford 2-0 Crystal Palace
Brighton & Hove Albion 2-1 Fulham
Chelsea 3-0 Southampton
Everton 1-0 Leeds United
Wolves 0-0 Bournemouth
Newcastle United 3-1 Liverpool w/seph 

Serie A
Monza 2-2 Milan 
Salernitana 1-1 Lazio 
Spezia 1-2 Juventus

===

Over in the Fantasy League, it was another below-average performance with 54 points. Definitely made a poor choice of captain since Ødegaard got just the bog standard 4 points for 2 matches, which doubled up to 8. Deciding to give the armband to vice-captain Haaland (although he was said to be a doubt for the Arsenal game) or Gündoğan would've been a safer bet as they both made it into double figures. 

Struijk of Leeds didn't play and has since been shipped out in favour of Wolves' Killman with one eye on their forthcoming two-hander. My #1 sub was Andreas who got 6 points, but because of stupid formation rules I had to settle for Thiago Silva as his auto-replacement, who could only muster 2 points. Do they need to bring back the All-Out Attack chip? Yes they do, Garth. 

Lloris is now listed as out until April, so Alisson comes in as my other free transfer of the week but remains on the bench for now. Dan Burn is restored to the starting line-up ahead of a doubtful and out-of-sorts Aleksandar Mitrović. Harry Kane is captained, with England team-mate Kieran Tripper as back-up as both have home fixtures in which they could potentially fill their boots. 

Week 29 fixtures 

Premier League

Brentford 2-0 Crystal Palace
Brighton & Hove Albion 3-1 Fulham
Chelsea 2-0 Southampton
Everton 1-0 Leeds United
Newcastle United 2-2 Liverpool w/seph (17:30) 

Serie A
Monza 1-2 AC Milan (17:00)

Week 29 fixtures 

Premier League

Brentford 2-1 Crystal Palace
Brighton & Hove Albion 2-2 Fulham
Chelsea 2-0 Southampton
Everton 1-1 Leeds United
Nottingham Forest 1-3 Manchester City
Wolverhampton Wanderers 3-2 Bournemouth
Newcastle United 1-1 Liverpool w/seph (17:30) 

Serie A
Monza 0-2 AC Milan (17:00)
Salernitana 1-3 Lazio (Sunday 14:00)
Spezia 1-2 Juventus (Sunday 17:00)

Premier League

Brentford 0-0 Crystal Palace
Brighton & Hove Albion 1-1 Fulham
Chelsea 2-0 Southampton
Everton 2-1 Leeds United
Nottingham Forest 0-2 Manchester City
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Bournemouth
Newcastle United 2-1 Liverpool w/seph (17:30) 

Serie A
Monza 0-1 AC Milan (17:00)
Salernitana 0-1 Lazio (Sunday 14:00)
Spezia 0-1 Juventus (Sunday 17:00)

• Paid Members

Premier League

Brentford 1-0 Crystal Palace
Brighton & Hove Albion 1-1 Fulham
Chelsea 1-0 Southampton
Everton 0-1 Leeds United
Nottingham Forest 0-3 Manchester City
Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-1 Bournemouth
Newcastle United 2-1 Liverpool w/seph (17:30) 

Serie A
Monza 0-2 AC Milan (17:00)
Salernitana 0-1 Lazio (Sunday 14:00)
Spezia 0-2 Juventus (Sunday 17:00)

On 8/3/2022 at 12:01 AM, Fog Dude said:

Oh, and the second D2D turn is for @seph so with any luck he'll make his picks a bit earlier than last time!

Well, that turned out to be a tad optimistic, didn't it? Despite missing the boat for the 3pm games, @seph still has just over an hour and a half to at least make it fair for everybody else by placing his D2D bet, and avoid incurring a points deduction in the process. Not something I've had to issue a warning about in over a decade – and that was in the days before you could tag people on here!

• Paid Members

Newcastle 2-3 Liverpool.

Been a shit week due to illness, just catching up.

Salernitana 1-2 Lazio (Sunday 14:00)
Spezia 0-3 Juventus (Sunday 17:00)

Edited by seph

7 minutes ago, seph said:

Newcastle 2-3 Liverpool.

Been a shit week due to illness, just catching up.

Sorry to hear that. I can sympathise as I somehow regurgitated Wednesday night's dinner on Thursday twice, 4 hours apart (but I suspect I caught the bug at that SuperBowl party, social gatherings be damned). Glad to see you're well enough to post again now.

Now you've successfully avoided the embarrassment of missing a D2D turn while being the actual inventor of D2Ds, you've still got time to guess the scores for tomorrow's Italian matches. Better pop them in a separate post so it doesn't void your Liverpool bet.  and as I was typing you snuck in with an edit before the deadline like a pro. Good job!

Edited by Fog Dude

Since the last bit of housekeeping, the EPL has carried out another couple of big logistics dumps that will have an effect on both our competitions. First, on the Fantasy League side, four sides have been given a double round for Gameweek 27 next month, but it's very possible none of them will have a league fixture the following weekend, so that might be the best time to use your Wildcard chip if you haven't already.

On top of that, it was announced yesterday that a whopping twelve teams will get a double week in matchday 29 (first week of April) so getting a load of players in from those clubs over the international break could be a wise move. 

As for me, I got a just-above-average 47 points but still went down in the two UKFF private leagues. All my defenders (two from Newcastle, one from Wolves and one from Arsenal) were terrible and yet the goalies were immense: Alisson got 7 but I went with Leno and he produced a double-figures performance with an outstanding 11 points.

Kane was a decent pick as captain since his 5 points doubled up to 10, but one of my two Arsenal midfielders would've been an even better choice. Andreas who I left on the bench got more than both Man City players who started, but my other two outfield subs scored zero.

Next week, Becker gets the nod in goal because he's got 2 matches. That leaves Leno benched by default, where he's joined by Fulham's still-doubtful Serbian striker plus the Newcastle duo who are without a league fixture. Arsenal and Wolves have also got a double round so Ødegaard is handed the armband with Kilman as vice-captain.

===

On the Predictions League front, the match I'd pencilled in for seph until a few weeks ago has been brought forward to a Saturday lunchtime start, so I'm glad I rejigged things after all. Anyway, his guess turned out to be a tad pessimistic as Liverpool kept a clean sheet and won by more than one goal. That was enough for him to be the top scorer for the round.

I haven't had to give out a reminder of the rule for missing your D2D round in yonks so it's worth mentioning: if he hadn't picked in time, he'd have earned minus points regardless of the result. Speaking of skipping weeks, @Fatty Facesitter is on thin ice for the second time. Normally I'd say I hope he's all right, but he's not only been on the forum, he's been prolific in other threads and can't have failed to spot this one. Since it was Nicko's idea to combine the Fantasy and Predictions threads this year, I know it hasn't exactly taken off but all I can say is – come on mate, at least see out the season.

Right, first post and table updated, yadda yadda. I've once again got MVP RULZ listed as finishing on 3 points so I hope that's actually accurate this week. That allows Stinky and Tilde to close the gap at the summit. The latter is now up to second place but it's Vegeta who would've been top scorer had it not been for the D2D bonuses thanks to a wildcard bonus from the match at the AmEx that sees him leapfrog Rory.

Smash-and-grab raids were the theme of the round. Fulham, Saints, Bournemouth and Milan all managed them (as did Everton with much the same tactics, except they were at Goodison), while late equalisers for Forest and Brentford plus a second goal each to make things a tad more comfortable for Liverpool, Lazio and Juve prevented five more. And indeed it was those last few outcomes from Italy that proved far more fruitful than the mostly surprising results closer to home. Most people's scoring would've been much lower had they relied solely on English scorelines.

A new card will be up in the initial post very soon.