UKFF FPLs 2022-23

Fog Dude

The current Fantasy League week is still ongoing, so a full update can wait. It's not gone too badly so far but once again it'll probably turn out that I'd have been better off captaining a player with just one fixture instead of presuming someone with a double round would automatically work out as more useful.

===

As for the Predictions League, the results went into the initial post on Sunday night. It was a triumphant round for Rory, but looking at the updated table, all it's done is leave him 16 points clear of the bottom 4 and 14 points adrift of the top half. Without the D2D bonuses (although a couple of people did agree with his bet of a draw), Tilde would've been the best performer, so he's now 2 points ahead at the summit. Lowest scorer Shy Dad moves closer to Nicko at the other end. I move back ahead of Vegeta only because he didn't play this time. 

There were no further bonus points awarded because the randomly selected 'wildcard' fixture was match #1, where nobody thought Everton would win at all, let alone nick a 1-0 for the third time in four home games since Sean Dyche took charge at Goodison Park. Elsewhere, it was slim pickings. Victories for Chelsea, Spurs, Halifax and Barcelona – spot the odd one out there* – plus a score draw at El Madrigal were generally good for one-pointers. The outcomes at Leeds, Maidstone and York, meanwhile, caught most participants out.

A couple of matches I had in mind for D2Ds next month have been brought forward to unreasonable start times (one to Friday night, the other to Saturday lunchtime), so things have had to be rejigged again on that front. Luckily none of that affects the next round, which was never pencilled in for a D2D in the first place, so the card for that will be up at the top of the thread very soon. 

*Yes, it's Tottenham.

Week 33 fixtures 
Premier League
Brentford 2-1 Leicester City
Southampton 0-2 Tottenham Hotspur
Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-1 Leeds United

FA Women's Cup Sixth Round
Reading 1-2 Chelsea (Sunday 14:00)
Aston Villa 1-2 Manchester City (Sunday 18:00)

La Liga
Barcelona 2-1 Real Madrid (Sunday 20:00)

Serie A
Lazio 1-1 Roma (Sunday 17:00)
Internazionale 2-1 Juventus (Sunday 19:45)

Austrian Bundesliga
Austria Vienna 2-1 Rapid Vienna (Sunday 16:00)

Eredivisie
Ajax 2-1 Feyenoord (Sunday 13:30)

All games take place on Saturday and kick off at 15:00 unless stated. Start times are listed in GMT. 

Week 33 fixtures 
Premier League
Brentford 1-1 Leicester City

FA Women's Cup Sixth Round
Reading 0-3 Chelsea (Sunday 14:00)
Aston Villa 0-3 Manchester City (Sunday 18:00)

La Liga
Barcelona 2-2 Real Madrid (Sunday 20:00)

Serie A

Austrian Bundesliga
Austria Vienna 1-1 Rapid Vienna (Sunday 16:00)

Eredivisie
Ajax 2-1 Feyenoord (Sunday 13:30)

Following last night's games, I finished the Fantasy round on 68 points, one away from niceness but just about above average, brining me up to 1,458 overall and inside the top 4.4m players. I'm up in one league, static in most but down in two, including one of the UKFF ones. Both my keepers only scored 2 so there was no selection headache there. The main issues were picking Højbjerg on 1 point ahead of Gündoğan who nabbed 6, plus a bad captaincy pick as I suspected.

Che Adams' bog-standard 4 points for 2 matches doubled up to 8, but my choice as vice-captain Ben Mee would've been a wiser nod for the armband with 9 points. Once again it was Harry Kane who proved most efficient, mind, with a baker's dozen from a mere 90 minutes of action. For next week, I realised that neither of my goalies has a fixture so I swapped out Leno for Raya. The latter also has a double round soon whereas the former isn't due one just yet. 

As Fulham players are therefore no use in the short term, I've also brought in Almirón for Andreas. All that gives me the luxury of leaving Højbjerg on the bench by playing a 5-3-2 since neither Man City player has got a league game this weekend either. And I still haven't used my Free Hit or second Wild Card yet! 

===

Premier League
Brentford 2-0 Leicester City
Southampton 3-0 Spurs
Wolves 2-1 Leeds United

Women's FA Cup Sixth Round
Reading 0-2 Chelsea 
Aston Villa 0-3 Manchester City 

La Liga
Barcelona 2-2 Real Madrid 

Serie A
Lazio 3-1 Roma 
Inter 1-0 Juventus 

Proper Bundesliga
Austria Vienna 1-1 Rapid Vienna 

Eredivisie
Ajax 0-0 Feyenoord

Premier League
Brentford 1-0 Leicester City
Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-2 Leeds United

Reading 0-2 Chelsea (Sunday 14:00)
Aston Villa 0-2 Manchester City (Sunday 18:00)

La Liga
Barcelona 1-1 Real Madrid (Sunday 20:00)

Serie A
Lazio 0-1 Roma (Sunday 17:00)
Internazionale 1-1 Juventus (Sunday 19:45)

Austrian Bundesliga
Austria Vienna 1-1 Rapid Vienna (Sunday 16:00)

Eredivisie
Ajax 3-2 Feyenoord (Sunday 13:30)

• Paid Members

Premier League
Brentford 2-0 Leicester City
Southampton 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Leeds United

Aston Villa 0-3 Manchester City (Sunday 18:00)

La Liga
Barcelona 1-2 Real Madrid (Sunday 20:00)

Serie A
Lazio 2-1 Roma (Sunday 17:00)

Austrian Bundesliga
Austria Vienna 1-1 Rapid Vienna (Sunday 16:00)

Eredivisie
Ajax 3-1 Feyenoord (Sunday 13:30)

Edited by seph

Premier League
Brentford 2-1 Leicester City
Southampton 1-2 Tottenham Hotspur

Reading 0-3 Chelsea (Sunday 14:00)
Aston Villa 1-4 Manchester City (Sunday 18:00)

La Liga
Barcelona 1-1 Real Madrid (Sunday 20:00)

Serie A
Lazio 2-1 Roma (Sunday 17:00)
Internazionale 2-2 Juventus (Sunday 19:45)

Austrian Bundesliga
Austria Vienna 2-1 Rapid Vienna (Sunday 16:00)

Eredivisie
Ajax 1-1 Feyenoord (Sunday 13:30)

Premier League
Brentford 1 v 1 Leicester City
Southampton 0 v 2 Tottenham Hotspur
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 v 0 Leeds United

Reading 1 v 3 Chelsea (Sunday 14:00)
Aston Villa 0 v 2 Manchester City (Sunday 18:00)

La Liga
Barcelona 2  v 2 Real Madrid (Sunday 20:00)

Serie A
Lazio 1 v 1 Roma (Sunday 17:00)
Internazionale 2 v 1 Juventus (Sunday 19:45)

Austrian Bundesliga
Austria Vienna 1 v 1 Rapid Vienna (Sunday 16:00)

Eredivisie
Ajax 2 v 1 Feyenoord (Sunday 13:30)

Week 33 fixtures 
Premier League
Brentford 2-1 Leicester City
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-0 Leeds United

Aston Villa 1-3 Manchester City (Sunday 18:00)

La Liga
Barcelona 2-1 Real Madrid (Sunday 20:00)

Serie A

Austrian Bundesliga
Austria Vienna 1-0 Rapid Vienna (Sunday 16:00)

Eredivisie
Ajax 1-1 Feyenoord (Sunday 13:30)

So I captained Martinelli in the end, whose 7 points double up to 14. Only last week's captain Che Adams would've done better on 9. Vice-captain Kane was my only other decent scorer with 6 points. None of my players was listed as doubtful last Thursday, but ultimately both new signing Almirón and hitherto defensive stalwart Saliba didn't play on Friday and Sunday respectively so I ended up with just 10 players who got minutes, one of whom was Højbjerg on 2 points anyway even though I'd left him on the bench initially. Kilman played a whole match but scored zero regardless as Wolves contrived to let in four at home to Leeds.

Overall that leaves me on 40 points for the round and tantalisingly close to 1,500 for the season. That's still above average because it was a low-scoring week since a lot of people didn't alter their squads to allow for the blank league matchdays from some teams. I'm up in half my private leagues (including both UKFF ones) and static in the rest. I've now got a week and a half to decide which people to bring in next. Keep in mind that of the four midweek rounds remaining over the next couple of months, only one officially counts as a separate matchday, so the rest are double weeks. Go fill your boots!

=== 

Speaking of low scoring, there wasn't much to write home about in the Predictions League this time out. The results went into the initial post on Sunday night as usual, and the table has been updated now too. The bottom two are getting cut adrift due to chronic absenteeism, with a returning Vegeta very narrowly still the worst of the rest of the bunch. Worst performer Rory is once again looking down rather than up.

For the first time in ages, I've left in a reminder of how the FPL Cup group phase finished up way back in the autumn as we look ahead to the knockout stages. The semi-finals and final have shifted around in my spreadsheet but are now set for Weeks 37 and 41, a little earlier than planned but conveniently the same time as the real-life women's FA Cup semis and final. The female tournament is on a more traditional trajectory since they still have a post-season World Cup to look forward to instead of enduring a mid-season one.

We have a new leader in the shape of top scorer Stinky Dad. He was the sole participant to get more than one exact scoreline, but notably nobody made it into double figures. He was helped by being the only person to guess Chelsea's 3-1 win at Reading spot on in what was later randomly selected as the 'wildcard' fixture which not only snatched two bonus points for himself, but also denied a lot of other people a point each.

No D2D means no further bonuses awarded for this round. The remaining three turns have had various spanners thrown in the works, but they're currently set to be spread out neatly, with the last one falling in the penultimate week of the season. Right, with that bit of housekeeping over, let's take a look at the other matches...

Narrow home victories in El Clásico and two capital city derbies were generally good for at least one-pointers, but the rest of the games caught most people out in one way or another. A six-goal thriller at St Mary's and the aforementioned one at Molineux, more dropped points for The Bees in west London, a home reverse for Inter, Villa knocking Man City out of the Cup in extra time and an away victory by the odd goal in five in Holland all proved more difficult to foresee.

And after all that, it's a bloody international round again to stifle the season's momentum send everybody's motivation through the floor. The 10-game card plus the four FPL Cup quarter-final ties will go live at the top of the thread soonish. 

Week 34 fixtures 
UEFA Euro 2024 qualification (various groups)

Scotland 2-0 Cyprus (14:00)
Armenia 0-2 Turkey (17:00)
Croatia 2-1 Wales (19:45)
England 2-0 Ukraine (Sunday 17:00)
Northern Ireland 2-1 Finland (Sunday 19:45)

International friendlies
Germany 2-0 Peru (19:45)
Morocco 1-3 Brazil (22:00)
New Zealand 2-1 China (Sunday 4:00)

Women's Super League
Tottenham Hotspur 0-2 Arsenal (15:00)
Manchester City 1-2 Chelsea (Sunday 12:40)

Week 34 fixtures 

Scotland 2-0 Cyprus (14:00)
Armenia 1-2 Turkey (17:00)
Croatia 3-0 Wales (19:45)
England 3-0 Ukraine (Sunday 17:00)
Northern Ireland 1-2 Finland (Sunday 19:45)

International friendlies
Germany 3-0 Peru (19:45)
Morocco 1-2 Brazil (22:00)
New Zealand 2-1 China (Sunday 4:00)

Women's Super League
Tottenham Hotspur 0-2 Arsenal (15:00)
Manchester City 1-2 Chelsea (Sunday 12:40)

All games take place on Saturday unless stated. Start times are listed in GMT for Saturday and in BST for Sunday. "China" refers to Mainland China/the People's Republic.

Scotland 3-1 Cyprus 
Armenia 0-0 Turkey 
Croatia 2-0 Wales 
England 1-0 Ukraine 
Northern Ireland 2-1 Finland 

International friendlies
Germany 3-0 Peru 
Morocco 1-3 Brazil 
New Zealand 1-1 PR China 

WSL
Spurs 0-2 Arsenal 
Manchester City 2-2 Chelsea

UEFA Euro 2024 qualification (various groups)

Scotland 2-0 Cyprus 
Armenia 0-1 Turkey 
Croatia 2-1 Wales 
England 3-0 Ukraine 
Northern Ireland 0-2 Finland 

International friendlies
Germany 2-0 Peru 
Morocco 1-3 Brazil 
New Zealand 0-0 PR China 

WSL
Spurs 0-2 Arsenal 
Manchester City 1-2 Chelsea

Week 34 fixtures 
UEFA Euro 2024 qualification (various groups)

Scotland 2 v 1 Cyprus (14:00)
Armenia 0 v 2 Turkey (17:00)
Croatia 3 v 1 Wales (19:45)
England 2  v 1 Ukraine (Sunday 17:00)
Northern Ireland 0 v 2 Finland (Sunday 19:45)

International friendlies
Germany 3 v 0 Peru (19:45)
Morocco 0  v 3 Brazil (22:00)
New Zealand 1 v 1 China (Sunday 4:00)

Women's Super League
Tottenham Hotspur 1 v 2 Arsenal (15:00)
Manchester City 2 v 1 Chelsea (Sunday 12:40)