UKFF FPLs 2022-23

Fog Dude

On 1/22/2023 at 7:53 PM, seph said:

Forgot about this FFS

As Wade Barrett used to say, I'm afraid I've got some bad news. First, when you posted that, it was still a few minutes to kick-off in Bilbao so you could've made a valid guess for that game. It pays to double check those start times if it's still the weekend instead of simply assuming you've missed the boat completely!

Secondly, a few hours later once I'd put the results into the opening post, that same match was selected as the random 'wildcard' fixture, meaning there were 5 points up for grabs rather than just the usual 3. Some people got the exact score from that Real Madrid victory to claim their bonuses.

Thirdly, it was a bad round to skip. Everybody who played made it into double figures and all of them got at least two correct scorelines. Joint top scorer MVP RULZ is back at the summit of the table with TildeGuy now in a strong third position.

Last call for @Shy Dad to carry on this season. If he's giving up, then that means Vegeta and equal worst least good performer for the round, Rory, are level on points at the foot of the standings. It also means there won't be a D2D for a while.

This week's already got moved forwards, and though I try to keep to the original vision of one turn roughly every other week, they could end up backloaded towards the end of the season at this rate. It's becoming increasingly difficult to find decent matches for them that haven't been moved outside of our usual window of acceptable start times. 

Anyway, this week Stinky got it wrong as Everton's failure to get even the draw he bet on finally did for Frank Lampard's tenure in charge of The Toffees. That means all other participants get bonus points, including Rory who opted for an away win because that still counts as disagreeing even though the pick was incorrect.

So, what made this ordinary-looking set of games so much more fruitful than usual? Well, no outlandish scorelines or stalemates helped. The closest we came was the five-goal thriller at The Emirates on Sunday but I somehow guessed that spot on, three other people at least got the right result, whilst Rory... had it down in reverse.

Elsewhere, three score draws but they were always among the more likely clashes to finish that way. Success on the road for Villa and relatively comfortable progress for the favourites in the three Cup meetings tie up an extraordinarily triumphant round nice and neatly (though I understand the score at Ochilview flattered the visitors a tad). 

Let's hope for more of the same in the next card, then. That'll be up in the initial post very soon. 

===

And yes, the Fantasy League happened too, but I think a proper update on that can wait until Thursday since the only midweek fixtures this time of year are from the Carabao.

Week 26 fixtures 

FA Challenge Cup Fourth Round proper

Ipswich Town 0-2 Burnley
Preston North End 0-2 Tottenham Hotspur (18:00)

FA Women's Cup Fourth Round
Chelsea 2-0 Liverpool (Sunday 13:00)
Sunderland 0-2 Manchester United (Sunday 13:00)
West Bromwich Albion 1-2 Brighton & Hove Albion (Sunday 14:00)
Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-1 West Ham United (Sunday 14:00)
Wimbledon 1-2 Charlton Athletic (Sunday)
Leicester City 2-0 Reading (Sunday 16:00)

German Bundesliga
Hertha Berlin 1-1 Union Berlin (14:30)
Schalke 1-1 Cologne (Sunday 14:30)

• Paid Members

Shit sorry folks. In not paying any attention to football bar Celtic the last two weeks I've absolutely forgot to check this. Will get my predictions up tomorrow to apologise for my tardiness. 

In future can someone just @ me if I'm not in here by Friday evening? Stupid working hours mean i tend to forget half the shit I'm supposed to do or planned.

FA Challenge Cup Fourth Round proper

Ipswich Town 0-2 Burnley
Preston North End 0-3 Tottenham Hotspur (18:00)

FA Women's Cup Fourth Round
Chelsea 2-1 Liverpool (Sunday 13:00)
Sunderland 0-2 Manchester United (Sunday 13:00)
Wolverhampton Wanderers 0-2 West Ham United (Sunday 14:00)
Leicester City 0-3 Reading (Sunday 16:00)

German Bundesliga
Hertha Berlin 2-0 Union Berlin (14:30)
Schalke 2-0 Cologne (Sunday 14:30)

All games take place on Saturday and kick off at 15:00 unless stated. Start times are listed in GMT. 

===

On 1/25/2023 at 5:31 PM, Shy Dad said:

Shit sorry folks. In not paying any attention to football bar Celtic the last two weeks I've absolutely forgot to check this. Will get my predictions up tomorrow to apologise for my tardiness. 

In future can someone just @ me if I'm not in here by Friday evening? Stupid working hours mean i tend to forget half the shit I'm supposed to do or planned.

It's okay. I understand that this silly little competition is hardly going to be anyone's overriding priority week to week. I already do all I can by tagging people in an edit to the first post if it's their D2D turn, and in the blurb if they've missed two rounds in a row as you've just done. 

I've made it part of my routine to do at least something towards the FPL every day, but that's easy for me to say when I actually run the thing. Naturally though, not all tasks require the same amount of time or effort. And things like Bank Holidays, postponements and ever-changing real-life circumstances do disrupt that pattern which make it more of a struggle. 

Thursday is one of the more important days as it's when I make my picks. That means I can look at the guesses of people who post later and alert them if there are some missing or the scoreline makes no sense (e.g. "Spurs -1vX Wolves" or "Hereford 3-0 Gloucester City") without prejudicing my own hunches. Sometimes I do still just have time to skim-read and miss these things though, or only spot them once it's basically too late.

Most people seem to pick quite late on Friday now, so if somebody else wants to help you out that'd be grand, but don't sweat it if not. You will still be welcome to come back refreshed next season.

Anyway, as promised, my predictions for this weekend. No replays in the women's Cup BTW, so remember that usual extra time/shootout rules apply:

Men's FA Cup Fourth Round

Ipswich Town 1-2 Burnley
Preston North End 1-0 Spurs

Women's FA Cup Fourth Round
Chelsea 3-1 Liverpool 
Sunderland 0-3 Manchester United 
West Bromwich Albion 0-2 Brighton & Hove Albion 
Wolves 1-3 West Ham United 
Wimbledon 2-1 Charlton Athletic 
Leicester City 2-0 Reading 

Imitation Bundesliga
Hertha Berlin 1-1 Union Berlin 
Schalke 0-1 Cologne

===

Since Tuesday night it's dawned on me that this weekend's matches obviously don't count towards the Fantasy League and this post had been busy enough already with Predictions League issues, so the update can wait for another day again... 

Week 26 fixtures 

FA Challenge Cup Fourth Round proper

Ipswich Town 1 v 2 Burnley
Preston North End 0 v 2 Tottenham Hotspur (18:00)

Chelsea 3 v 1 Liverpool (Sunday 13:00)
Sunderland 0 v 2 Manchester United (Sunday 13:00)
West Bromwich Albion 1 v 2 Brighton & Hove Albion (Sunday 14:00)
Wolverhampton Wanderers 0 v 2 West Ham United (Sunday 14:00)
Wimbledon 0 v 1 Charlton Athletic (Sunday)
Leicester City 2 v 1 Reading (Sunday 16:00)

German Bundesliga
Hertha Berlin 2 v 1 Union Berlin (14:30)
Schalke 1 v 1 Cologne (Sunday 14:30)

• Paid Members

Week 26 fixtures 

Ipswich Town 3 v 2 Burnley

Preston North End 0 v 1 Tottenham Hotspur (18:00)

Chelsea 0 v 1 Liverpool (Sunday 13:00)

Sunderland 0 v 2 Manchester United (Sunday 13:00)

West Bromwich Albion 1 v 3 Brighton & Hove Albion (Sunday 14:00)

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 v 2 West Ham United (Sunday 14:00)

Wimbledon 2 v 1 Charlton Athletic (Sunday)

Leicester City 2 v 1 Reading (Sunday 16:00)

German Bundesliga

Hertha Berlin 1 v 3 Union Berlin (14:30)

Schalke 0 v 1 Cologne (Sunday 14:30)

Week 26 fixtures 

Ipswich Town 1-2 Burnley

Chelsea 3-0 Liverpool (Sunday 13:00)
Sunderland 1-4 Manchester United (Sunday 13:00)
Wolverhampton Wanderers 0-1 West Ham United (Sunday 14:00)
Wimbledon 0-2 Charlton Athletic (Sunday)
Leicester City 1-2 Reading (Sunday 16:00)

German Bundesliga
Hertha Berlin 0-2 Union Berlin (14:30)
Schalke 1-3 Cologne (Sunday 14:30)

Week 26 fixtures 

FA Challenge Cup Fourth Round proper

Ipswich Town 1-3 Burnley
Preston North End 1-2 Tottenham Hotspur (18:00)

Chelsea 4-1 Liverpool (Sunday 13:00)
Sunderland 1-5 Manchester United (Sunday 13:00)
Leicester City 1-2 Reading (Sunday 16:00)

German Bundesliga
Hertha Berlin 1-3 Union Berlin (14:30)
Schalke 0-2 Cologne (Sunday 14:30)

FA Challenge Cup Fourth Round proper

Ipswich Town 0-1 Burnley
Preston North End 0-2 Tottenham Hotspur (18:00)

FA Women's Cup Fourth Round
Sunderland 0-2 Manchester United (Sunday 13:00)
Leicester City 0-3 Reading (Sunday 16:00)

German Bundesliga
Hertha Berlin 1-1 Union Berlin (14:30)
Schalke 1-1  Cologne (Sunday 14:30)

• Paid Members

FA Challenge Cup Fourth Round proper

Ipswich Town 1-2 Burnley

FA Women's Cup Fourth Round
Sunderland 0-3 Manchester United (Sunday 13:00)
West Bromwich Albion 0-2 Brighton & Hove Albion (Sunday 14:00)
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-2 West Ham United (Sunday 14:00)
Leicester City 1-3 Reading (Sunday 16:00)

German Bundesliga
Hertha Berlin 2-1 Union Berlin (14:30)
Schalke 0-3 Cologne (Sunday 14:30) kölle alaaf!

Edited by seph

On 1/28/2023 at 1:05 PM, seph said:

Schalke 0-3 Cologne (Sunday 14:30) kölle alaaf!

Well, they kept a clean sheet at least. Luckily for you it was the other German game that was the wildcard fixture this time, but unfortunately it was ultimo who nabbed all the bonus points as the only person to get the exact score, even though a fair few others did rightly think that Union would get the win. A few players at least managed a one-pointer from the stalemate at Schalke.

Anyway, the results went into the opening post a bit earlier than usual on Sunday evening, and now the table's been updated too. Scoring was obviously way down from the previous week, but still decent. Two people returned, but Nicko sat it out as he was otherwise occupied by an important mission. He aimed to recreate a scene from a Steve Coogan film and ended up re-enacting one from a Rowan Atkinson movie (for those with terrible taste in cinema, this constitutes an upgrade). Hopefully he won't miss the next round back here though. 

Somehow there was no movement whatsoever in the standings. Perhaps the positions really are settling down now it's February and we're getting into the business end of the season. Vegeta's cushion over Shy Dad is now up to a healthy 13 points, whilst at the other end MVP RULZ retains his 8-point lead.

Closer to home than Germany, progress in the Cup for Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham and Manchester United generally proved fruitful, but a goalless draw at Portman Road and a score draw that led to a penalty shootout (ignored as ever) at Leicester caught most people out. The outcomes at West Brom and Wimbledon were very emphatic for the visitors in both cases, which sadly is something that still seems to happen more often in women's football than in the men's game. Those scorelines were understandably only useful for one-pointers at best.

I've juggled a few things around on the schedule these past couple of days so that we should be able to get a couple of D2Ds in this month after all – but not just yet. All of which means another ordinary set of 10 should go live at the top of the thread shortly... 

===

So, transfer deadline day is over. And yes, that's affected my Fantasy League team. But I haven't decided who to bring in yet. I'll let you know about it on Thursday, but in the meantime, it's worth noting that a double round has been confirmed for Man U and Leeds players this coming matchday, in case anybody wants to transfer players from those clubs in.

Week 27 fixtures 

Premier League

Aston Villa 2-1 Leicester City
Brentford 1-0 Southampton
Brighton & Hove Albion 2-0 Bournemouth
Manchester United 2-0 Crystal Palace
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-2 Liverpool
Nottingham Forest 1-0 Leeds United (Sunday 14:00)
Tottenham Hotspur 0-2 Manchester City (Sunday 16:30)

Women's Super League
West Ham United 0-2 Arsenal (Sunday 18:45)

Ligue Un
Olympique de Marseille 2-1 Nice (Sunday 19:45)

Eredivisie
Feyenoord 1-1 PSV (Sunday 13:30)

So, onto the long-awaited Fantasy League update then. In the last round, which ended 10 days ago, I got 61 points. That was below average, but I would've been the other side of the mean score if I'd just started the right goalie or made a better choice of captain. Somehow that still left me up in 3 leagues, including both of the UKFF ones, and level in another... but unsurprisingly down across the board in the rest.

Apparently I went out of the general Cup in Week 18 without even noticing. That leaves me on 1,111 points in the overall classification, inside the top 4.3m players which I guess I'll take at this stage.

The keepers were in direct competition with each other, as Lloris (9 points) whom I left on the bench came out on top over Leno (2) in defiance of recent form. You never know which Haaland you're gonna get from week to week, so I only made him vice-captain this time. Unfortunately he decided he was in the mood for scoring, meaning his 17 points would've doubled up to 34 with the armband. Come to think of it, might not have been a bad shout to use the triple captain chip, but I'll save that for a double round later in the season.

The only other decent point-getters were Struijk and Thiago Silva thanks to clean sheets, plus Gündoğan and Kane for their attacking performances. All of that quartet finished on 6 points apiece. I also should've started Dan Burn (6) and Pierre-Emile Højbjerg (3) over any of Saliba, Martinelli, Andreas or Mitrović but sadly I left the former duo on the bench.

One big bit of transfer news just before the window closed was the loan of Cancelo to Bayern for the rest of the season, with an option to buy. And I had noticed he wasn't playing as often lately, and didn't do all that well when he did start. At least this way Danny Murphy (plus some other ex-pros with more than half a brain cell and some worldliness who really ought to know better) can stop referring to him as Cantchello instead of the more correct Can-say-lu. Yes, he used to play in Serie A but that doesn't mean his name must be pronounced as if it were Italian forever more.

Anyway, what it means for the competition this thread is concerned with is that I've had to use my one free transfer this week on shipping him out. I've got over £1m in reserve but there are no defenders who are worth that much more than ol' sourface João himself, so I've been forced to go for the slightly cheaper option of Kieran Trippier and save the rest to bolster a different area of the squad in a future gameweek. 

He goes straight into the starting line-up next to fellow well-rested Magpie Burn, while four of the five aforementioned non-performers from the previous round drop to the bench, with just Saliba getting a second chance. Struijk of Leeds is captained almost by default as my sole player with a double week, but he's listed as a doubt and the two fixtures look tough at any rate so the armband might cascade down to Kane. 

===

My picks: 

Premier League

Aston Villa 1-0 Leicester City
Brentford 2-1 Southampton
Manchester United 3-1 Crystal Palace
Wolves 0-0 Liverpool
Nottingham Forest 2-2 Leeds United 
Tottenham Hotspur 1-2 Manchester City 

Women's Super League
West Ham United 0-3 Arsenal 

Ligue 1
Marseille 0-1 Nice 

Eredivisie
Feyenoord 1-1 PSV Eindhoven

Edited by Fog Dude

• Paid Members

Now into the top million on Fantasy and rocketing up the mini leagues - the post-World Cup games have been very good to me thus far. Hopefully an upward curve from now until the end of the season. I'd already ditched Cancelo to free up funds elsewhere, so his departure hasn't upset the balance of my team as much as it has for other people. I've gone triple Man United purely for the double gameweek (there's nobody I fancy in the Leeds side so even though they've also got a double on, I haven't picked any of them). 

Premier League

Aston Villa 0-1 Leicester City
Brentford 2-2 Southampton
Manchester United 3-0 Crystal Palace
Wolves 1-0 Liverpool (Klopp to get chopped!)
Nottingham Forest 2-2 Leeds United 
Tottenham Hotspur 1-4 Manchester City 

Women's Super League
West Ham United 0-4 Arsenal 

Ligue 1
Marseille 1-1 Nice 

Eredivisie
Feyenoord 1-1 PSV Eindhoven